Doris Day - singer

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 02 May 2007, 18:18

I'm reading Tom Santopietro's book - have finally gotten to the music portion. Agree with most of what he says - gives her lots of praise for so much of her work. Doesn't like a lot of the terrible, silly songs she was saddled with at times - have to agree with him there.
He had a great quote from Doris - she said that singing "gives me a sense of release - it makes me happy and I think that the people who listen to me instinctively know that."
Also - "How did I ever record so many songs while making thirty-nine films?"
He states that she managed to connect with the listener in an extraordinarily intimate manner. It was a style made for the hi-fi age: the listener alone at home with Doris Day crooning in his or her ear, sometimes upbeat, often sad, but always personal.
Talking about some of her love ballads -
It's like hearing Day sing in whatever dreamlike vista one's imagination can conjure, because the vocal seems directed at you and you alone. Such intimate vocal stylings free the listener's imagination to roam - she's singing in whatever fantasy setting it is where love is deep, passionate, and , well, perfect.
Doris Day is never desperate for love like Barbra Streisand -- such all -out theatrics don't suit her more comtemplative approach. In fact, when discussing Striesand in a 1968 New York Times interview timed to the start of her new television series, Day stated, "Streisand is great with the big orchestra. She can really belt. I'm not like that. I like the simplest form of music. I would prefer singing with just a guitar or piano. See, I have to sing in somebody's ear."
This extraordinarily beautiful approach -- and it is one that only a great vocalist with total control over her insturment can ever implement -- is best summed up by son Terry Melcher, himself an extremely successful songwriter/producer: "She can make a vocal sound like there's a smile or some kind of tear behind it. She can really create a visual effect with an audio art."
Day's sublime artistry results from the fact that the effort to create a musical or emotional statement never shows, yet both occur. In the words of critic Will Friedwald, it's a "kind of instant, chemical reaction that just occurs naturally when all the right ingredients are mixed together...This is perhaps what distinguishes Day from her peers and colleagues; as great as Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Rosemary Clooney, Jo Stafford, and Judy Garland are, to name only five, all of them communicate something of the effort that goes into producing beautiful music. With Day, it just seems to exist, a product of nature that has nothing to do with the machinations of mere mortals , even herself. Just as mush work went into her singing as any of these other great divas of jazz and pop, it's just that Day makes the process that much more invisible."
I think he gives her lots of praise that she so rightly deserves. There is so much more - too much to quote.
Hope it wasn't too much to read - thought you might find it interesting.

Toni

Jas1
Honorary Member

THE book

Unread post by Jas1 » 03 May 2007, 05:25

Thanks Dayniac, i enjoyed reading that as I STILL await my book - having now been told by the bookshop it won't be released to mid-May!!!!! I threatened a cancellation but fate is kind, as these next three weeks are very busy for me and i certainly should not get into this book until late May anyway - so there is nothing [even such annoyance] that is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so......

Jas1
Honorary Member

Thanks Bry

Unread post by Jas1 » 03 May 2007, 05:27

Oh, Bryan, just noticed, you have changed how i look - I MUCH prefer to be Cary Grant [no offence Doris]! Especially as you had me with a Guertrude Wheeler hairdo! I adore Cary Grant, his style, everything about him is class, as Doris has said in various interviews.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 15 Jun 2007, 08:03

On www.answers,com/topic/your-hit-parade, is a showing a photo of
Doris Day from 1947, well it does't look even like Doris, not for me.
Doris was in that time pretty good looking.

Doris Day co-starred with Frank Sinatra on Your Hit Parade in 1947.

Can anyone tell me if it is Doris.

Puck

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Can anyone tell me if it is Doris?

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Jun 2007, 08:43

No, it isn't, Puck. Someone made a mistake.

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 15 Jun 2007, 10:19

The singer looks like Helen O'Connell--it's not Doris.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 15 Jun 2007, 10:28

Looks like Helen O'Connell to me!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 15 Jun 2007, 17:49

I saw that picture for sale on ebay --- they made a mistake --- its not Doris !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Karl King

Unread post by Karl King » 03 Aug 2007, 21:09

This is the closest appropriate room to post this about Doris. Years ago, I went to a recording engineers conference. And one of the mixers who had recorded some of her songs said the producers and mixers loved her voice because it was so easy to record and was very intelligible. :) Another uniqueness about her voice was that even with the volume low on the radio or record player, a person could very clearly hear the lyrics. They concluded that it was a forunate combination of pitch and nasal resonance.

Love,
Karl King

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 04 Aug 2007, 13:59

Another uniqueness about her voice was that even with the volume low on the radio or record player, a person could very clearly hear the lyrics

Very interesting to hear. I wonder if part of it could also be the lesson she learned early from her coach Grace Raine -- to sing like you're singing just to one peron. A very intimate, personal style. She said it was a lesson that served her well. I think she was right !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Jas1
Honorary Member

Viva La Divas

Unread post by Jas1 » 07 Aug 2007, 11:11

Correct me if wrong but I don't remember anyone mentioning the upcoming Viva La Divatour - where the beautiful Welsh songtress [Katherine Jenkins] and the wonderful ballerina - [Darcey Bussell] - 'pay homage to divas down the ages, from Audrey Hepburn to Doris Day, it promises to be as big as Riverdance. Katherin explains: "It's an opportunity for us to pay tribute to all the divas who have inspired us. There are obvious ones like Maria Callas but also some real surprises - it's definately going to be unique. Viva La Diva will tour to glamorous venues in Vegas and Broadway next year...'

I would't say Doris was a diva as such, but it is still nice she is included in what sounds like a wonderful tribute show that I am sure [having regard to the participants] will be very tastefully done.