1948-06-29 Here's Hollywood

More video creations and film/audio clips posted on YouTube, etc.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

1948-06-29 Here's Hollywood

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 30 Nov 2018, 12:03

Hi all,

On Facebook I came across a great man called Philip Fukuda. He had this "Here 's Hollywood" show on a transcription disc and he has transferred it to mp3. I think this is one of the first interviews Doris has given in her film career.
1948-06-29 Here's Hollywood - ABC
Host 1: Burleigh Smith
Host 2: Hank Weaver
With: Doris Day, Ann Ronell & Charles Korvin
1. Doris Day talks about "Romance On The High Seas"
2. Ann Ronell talks about composing for "On Touch Of Venus"
3. Charles Korvin talks about "Berlin Express"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm7n7dqpjfvm6 ... y.mp3?dl=0

Enjoy,

P

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: 1948-06-29 Here's Hollywood

Unread post by Musiclover » 30 Nov 2018, 12:30

Peter, what a great find. Listening to Doris's speech pattern reminds me of something a reporter wrote about that subject several years later -- that she sounded like a "gay little machine gun." Pretty good description, I think.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 01 Dec 2018, 13:59

Thanks for posting the interview, Peter. Really enjoyed it!

Here's another interview from 48-49 on a show called the "Curfew Club." Interesting to note that as far back as '48, Doris had an interest in portraying Calamity Jane. There are also some radio commercials for "Pillow Talk" and "That Touch of Mink" incuded, plus Doris talking about Studio Girl cosmetics. Enjoy:

https://app.box.com/s/tlrpgpyddrqpu8dzgzqefwzvj7mk89kv
Like Irene Dunne done.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 01 Dec 2018, 15:28

Hello Howard,

Thanks for replying on this disc and thank you too for your Curfew Club interview and the other promo's and interviews. Always a thrill to hear from you.

This summer contacted the Library Of Congress, about The Bob Hope Shows, AFRS, Doris Day etc. and received this email:

Dear Peter
Your email concerning Bob Hope Shows and AFRS numbering was forwarded to me from the National Recording Registry.

It’s very hard to date when shows were broadcast by AFRS or AFRTS. As far as we understand, the transcription records were made a few weeks after radio broadcasts aired and sent to bases around the world. We don’t know when they were played. According to our records the Library holds discs of the Bob Hope show identified as END #322 to 424 but there are no dates. You may wish to contact the National Archives and Records Administration (https://www.archives.gov/) and see if they have information that could help you.

Here is a list of reference books we use at the Library:

Kiner, Larry F., and Harry Mackenzie. Basic Musical Library. “P” Series, 1-1000. New York: Greenwood Press, 1990; ML156.4.P6 K56 1990. An index to the first part of the popular music series of the Basic Musical Library provides name, series number, and song title indexes. (I have attached to this email a scan of the pages that refer to Bob Hope).

Lotz, Rainer E. The AFR&TS (Gold Label) Transcription Library: A Label Listing. Menden: Der Jazzfreund, 1978; ML156.4.P6 L67 Case. Includes indexes by title, artist, and type of music.

________ and Ulrich Neuert. The AFRS “Jubilee” Transcription Programs: An Exploratory Discography. Frankfurt (Main): Ruecker, 1985; ML156.4.J3L68 1985. Offers a chronological list of Jubilee programs with name and song title indexes. The authors claim that Jubilee “provides the most representative recorded coverage of black jazz in the United States during World War II and the immediate post-War years.”11

Mackenzie, Harry. AFRS Downbeat Series: Working Draft. Zephyrhills, Fla.: Joyce Record Club, 1986; ML156.4.B5 M3 1986. Provides show number and artist indexes for the series that eventually became a disc jockey show. Anita O'Day (b. 1919) and Kay Starr (b. 1922) were among the many women who appeared on the program.

________, comp. Command Performance, USA!: A Discography. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1996; ML156.4.P6 C64 1996. Provides a chronological listing of this very popular program, including names of performers, musical groups, and hosts, an alphabetical index to names, and a chronological listing for Mail Call and G.I. Journal.

_________, comp. The Directory of the Armed Forces Radio Service Series.Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1999; ML156.2.M27 1999. An attempt to list all of the AFRS series. Includes sample AFRS issues under each series. Contains indexes to series and artists.

Mackenzie, Harry, and Lothar Polomski, comps. One Night Stand Series, 1-1001. New York: Greenwood Press, 1991; ML156.4.P6 M253 1991. A guide to the program that began in 1943 and featured a wide variety of bands, including a band led by Mildred Bailey (1906-1951).

I did check our NBC Radio History Collection files and have the dates when Doris Day appeared on the Bob Hope Show program. I am attaching to this email scans of the NBC Index Cards that are part of the larger collection. I hope this helps you with your research. (If a big white box appears on the PDFs hit the Esc button and it will disappear).

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
---
For private reasons I've removed the name. But I'm so grateful with all the information she has send to me.
I don't didn't uploaded the cards yet. But I will. Have to figure out how. They are on PDF

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 01 Dec 2018, 16:08

Hi all,

Below are the cards about Doris. Don't know if these photo's will be on long, so if you want them copy them.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 01 Dec 2018, 16:12

Hi all,

Doris probably didn't appear as a guest on the december 1946 Victor Borge Show. That would probably be Anita O'Day.

The december 1950 Bob Hope Show isn't available yet, but the lists that are don't indicate Doris as guest.

Hope to find some more information soon.

Enjoy your weekend,

P

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 01 Dec 2018, 19:23

Peter, you're a super sleuth!