Something's Got To Give vs. Move Over, Darling

More video creations and film/audio clips posted on YouTube, etc.
Theodomus
Honorary Member

Something's Got To Give vs. Move Over, Darling

Unread post by Theodomus » 09 Apr 2008, 09:40

I think this is a nice idea - I didn't know the movie with Marilyn Monroe before and have to say that I much more prefer the Doris Day-version!

Part 1

Part 2

What do you think?

(Apart from the fact that we all like Doris here - I have to admit I've never really been into MM...)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 09 Apr 2008, 15:27

Thanks Marion, yes, very interesting to compare.

I think the screen play in MOD-is sharper and funnier, and of course the cast are more polished- Doris is the 'Fred Astaire of comedy'- to quote Garner. Really interesting the 2 very different approaches to the 'Sveeedish' nurse!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 09 Apr 2008, 17:23

Yes, that's what I thought, Jas.

One point I liked about "Somethings got to give" however was the family dog, who recognized her on her return.

I bet DD would have liked that as well. ;)
Marion

----------

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Apr 2008, 05:57

Another [small] point Marion - I saw a documentary years ago on Somethings Got to Give and they made up how the opening credits etc would have looked and used Deano singing the title song - this is much more like what 'would have happened' had the film been finished, not Sinatra's version - that is a very very minor point though, I really enjoyed comparing the two so close to each other.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 10 Apr 2008, 06:18

One maybe stupid question of a newbie to this topic:

Has the Monroe-version ever been published or where are the scenes in the video from?

I always thought it hadn't been finished and that's why it was done over with a different cast?
Marion

----------

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Apr 2008, 11:15

You are correct Marion, the film was never finished as Marilyn was fired from the job and later died. The studio [20th Century Fox] considered various replacements [including Lee Remick] & as we know the film was eventually made as MOD.

Yes, I liked the dog bit too!

Obviously some takes have survived!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 10 Apr 2008, 16:05

Thanks, Jas :)
Marion

----------

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 10 Apr 2008, 17:39

I liked both versions.. but Doris wins hands down...

where did you stumble upon the clips of Marilyn though?? I saw some on the extra features on Move Over Darling.. but I hadn't seen all those
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 11 Apr 2008, 03:04

I didn't make those clips, just found them on YouTube.
Marion

----------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Re: Something's Got To Give vs. Move Over, Darling

Unread post by Theodomus » 17 Jun 2008, 03:34

Oh, I just saw the "youtube"-button and edited my first post - That feature is great, Bryan!
Marion

----------

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 23 Jun 2008, 19:53

I think that the entire cast of MOD is better than the entire cast of SGG. Doris Day, James Garner, and Don Knott are just so funny, and they say the lines so much better. I have to say that MM seems to be wearing more expensive clothes and it looks like they spent more on the SGG sets.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 16 Jul 2008, 08:18

The pace is faster and the energy level is higher in the scenes with Doris and Don Knotts. Their interplay has a more seductive, naughty-but-nice quality than the more restrained exchanges between MM and Wally Cox. It's as if MM is struggling to get through the scene and she had no capacity to take the energy level up a notch or two. WC just seems baffled and robotic here. He was probably tired after doing multiple retakes with MM to get something they could print.

And the same observations apply when you watch and compare the Nick-meets-Adam scenes. Here the direction is much better in MOD largely because Doris is sitting next to James Garner, so she can react to each response that Don Knotts gives. This adds more tension to the scene and it plays much better. You gotta love the "let's grab some chow mein and go bowling" line too. It adds more zip to the scene. Don Knotts is simply a lot funnier than WC too.

While I do think Michael Gordon's direction was lighter and bouncier than Cukor's, it also veered into overdrive in other parts of MOD. There were symptoms of trying too hard to be funny in some of the scenes with Polly Bergen for example.

Still, it all comes down to Doris, who consistently demonstrated a natural ease with a wide range of co-stars. She had a unique ability to bring the best out of everyone and, unlike MM, she did not need to be the center of attention or require high maintenance handling by the director. Doris was just more adept when it came to being in the spotlight or sharing the spotlight with her co-stars. Her natural gift for romantic comedy is the critical difference.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 16 Jul 2008, 17:31

I found some more clips of Something's Got to Give. I think Doris is better but it is interesting to compare.

The Doris Day Show

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 17 Jul 2008, 02:42

Nope, definitely not my style - I much much prefer MOD...

The only improvement is "Steven Burquett" :mrgreen: (Is he spelled like that?)
Marion

----------

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 17 Jul 2008, 07:45

I saw all the assembled footage of "Something's Got to Give" (presented in film format, with opening credits etc) on TV some time ago. It ran for over an hour and I don't understand why they didn't allow the film to be completed. I think I heard that the studio was in big trouble over the cost overrun on Cleopatra and also wanted to 'make an example' of Monroe who defied them by going to and singing at JFK's birthday party, with whom she was close to at the time.

A producer interviewed after was amazed that they had sacked her - as Billy Wilder said (Some Like it Hot) because of her personal problems it was hard work getting Marilyn to complete a film but the result was usually magic. I think the studio made a deal with her to finish the picture but she died before they could resume filming.

I think Marilyn was very sweet in the 'full' version I saw and, dare I say it, better than Doris in a few set scenes. My impression is that Marilyn played it straight and the Doris remake played it for laughs - farce even, what with the Swedish massaging, etc. I would like to have seen the original completed - it also had Cyd Charrise - but you can't rewrite history.
But Doris got a great song out of it.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 17 Jul 2008, 09:01

I think Marilyn was very sweet in the 'full' version I saw and, dare I say it, better than Doris in a few set scenes. My impression is that Marilyn played it straight and the Doris remake played it for laughs
I don't know if I can express it correctly but I -at least in these scenes - feel that MM appears very "colourless" doesn't give the character any depths. Once I have seen it nothing is left, if you know what I mean.

I feel jmichael said it very well:
It's as if MM is struggling to get through the scene and she had no capacity to take the energy level up a notch or two.
My opinion.
Marion

----------

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 17 Jul 2008, 11:07

I was watching a Marilyn Monroe biography on tv the other day. And it said that Marilyn had a hard time working with this movie. You see, she had 2 miscarraiges. And the kids she was working with were as old as her kids should've been. And she was constantly forgetting her lines and stuff... Just thought I'd share that bit of info with ya'll..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 17 Jul 2008, 18:55

I think MM had talent, but in this movie, most of the time, she acts like she is on drugs. I saw Tony Cutis on
TCM recently, and he said they had a lot of problems with her on "Some Like it Hot". In fact, He predicted it would be her last film. He quotes the director (BW) as saying " If she gets her lines right I'm going to print it, so make sure your hands are were they are suppose to be". He also wondered why her so called friends weren't there for her.

I saw a documentary serveral years ago on SGG too, and the cast and crew all said she was doped up. Of course, she had a lot to be depressed about :( .

I don't know why if they had over an hour, they would stop filming it, but she did miss a lot of film days. MOD has almost the exact same script as Cary Grant's My Favorite Wife. I think SSG has a better script (most of the time), better costumes, better scenery, better direction, but I dislike Dean Martin's, MM's, and Cyd's acting (but I love Cyd's dancing in other movies). In a nutshell, MOD has better acting, but a corny script sometimes.
I like SGG's Steven Burket too :wink:.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 Jul 2008, 22:27

I've enjoyed many of MM's comedic performances but based on the footage here, she simply was not up to carrying the film. Her death was a terrible tragedy, and as someone else mentioned in this thread, there did not seem to be anyone there for her in the end. Although I suspect no one, no matter how hard they tried, could have saved her from herself.

Has Doris ever publicly commented on MM and how she felt about taking over the role?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 20 Jul 2008, 04:15

Very interesting to see the two movies compared .... I like the MOD version better of course - I'm not THAT big of a MM fan anyway .... although I think its kinda sad overall.
I don't know whether this has been asked before - I really have no idea about SGG but would it have been the same story - just different title??? I don't know - usually if someone has been fired and they replace an actress they don't change the title do they ? Interesting. I think MM never really got rid of her funny-kinda dumb-sexy image which she would've liked (only assuming of course :? ). She was close with MISFITS but unfortunately it was to late for her.
I can't think of MM in that role - at least not with the funny aspects DD brought into it - imagine MM as the swedish nurse *lol* - I don't think so ....

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 20 Jul 2008, 13:47

Hi again, Haymarketaddict,

Somethings Gotta Give was a remake of Cary Grant's and Irene Dunne's My Favorite Wife, a screwball comedy. The courtroom scene is almost the same in all three movies. In MFW and MOD, Ellen Arden goes to the hotel to stop the honeymoon. In SGG, Nick sees Ellen for the first time when she pretends to be his Swedish housekeeper (no mother in law invovled). In MFW Ellen Arden pretends to be a family friend from the South. SGG also differs in that Nick and Bianca spend their honeymoon at home, and Nick is distracted by Ellen ( Marilyn) swimming nude in the pool (glad Doris didn't do that). SGG is only 37 minutes long and ends with the scene were Ellen introduces the shoe salesman as "Adam".

Yes, MM was fired, but she was rehired to finish the picture. The reason for the title change is probably because she died before the picture was finished, and Fox didn't that association with the picture.
The Doris Day Show