Actors and Others Event Video with Doris Day

More video creations and film/audio clips posted on YouTube, etc.
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Actors and Others Event Video with Doris Day

Unread post by Dianne »

I just ran across this on Youtube today -- what a treat!!

Diane
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Re: Actors and Others Event Video with Doris Day

Unread post by daybyday08 »

That was nice! Doris looked great! I loved her glasses. I was happy to see Rose Marie there. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Thanks for sharing this film clip from the 1973 Actors & Others for Animals big event. If you look close, you will see Doris's left hand is bandaged - happened after a dog incident. But despite the pain, Doris a real trouper, spent long hours at the event both on Saturday setting up and on that Sunday. We had a great time and made a lot of $$$ for the animals. Jacqueline Susann was also at this event and spent hours in the hot sun signing copies of her "Everynight Josephine" for the charity event. There were many stars who came out to help raise much needed $$$ for the cause.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

If you look at my avatar - this was from the A & O event - love Doris's big smile!!!!

Mary Anne

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Isn't that Jackie Joseph wearing the outfit from Doris' first TV special when she sang 'Them were the good ole days'?

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That was a great clip!! Thanks for posting. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Yes, that is Jackie Joseph wearing the outfit Doris wore on her special.

Mary Anne

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Great clip! Thanks for posting it Diane! :D
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Thank you Diane for posting the clip!
Mary Anne, I always enjoy all the information you give to the forum! :D

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Mary Anne~

I really love your avatar. I've always loved that photo of the two of you together and it just fits here on the forum. Brings back memories of our time together in L.A. during the "Doris Years." I just made that up!

I remember you telling me about the dog bite. And you were the one who grabbed a towel and wrapped Doris' bloody hand and raced her to the ER at Cedars-Sinai. Thankfully, you had the foresight to write it all down and now we have the book.

As casual as the avatar photo is - and aren't casual photos of Doris just the best - it's one of my favorite photos of her ever.

Lauren

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Lauren,
Welcome back to the forum! Yes, I love that photo of Doris also - she looks so happy and she really was. What a trouper - she had her hand bandaged and yet spent hours there on Saturday setting up and autographing and then spent all day on Sunday at the event, despite the fact that she had the pain from the incident. Those were the DAYS, my friend.

Lauren, weren't we lucky that we actually were able to spend time with Doris? Again, welcome back!!!!

Mary Anne

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

That was great, thanks for sharing.
suzie

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Mary Anne~
Yes, thanks to you and Mary Kay, I met Doris and spent the better part of 1970 in various establishments around Beverly Hills as we followed her as she followed her friend Hilda Turner, who worked at Bailey's Bakery.

I certainly don't have a book full of memories like you do to share but I am here to verify that meeting Doris is just as wonderful and awesome as every single fan on this forum might imagine and as you have documented in your book.

Doris loyally followed her friend, Hilda, to a couple of establishments after Hilda was fired from Bailey's Bakery. We all met up at Elizabeth's Tea Room and when Hilda quit there and went to Martha Randalls we all went there every Saturday morning like clock work. We were all young and we have Doris all to ourselves. Mary Anne and I have talked about how impossible that we be in today's laptop, camera phone, Facebook and Twitter atmosphere. We literally had Doris completely all alone. No one else knew about her in those places. But that would not happen today at all.

Doris was a blast - absolutely could not have been a kinder and gentler human being and without pretense. I don't think she knows the meaning of the word. She's much quieter than I ever imagined her to be and appears self possessed. She exhibited the same demeanor at the Doris Day Convention in 1987. She spoke to us and answered questions for 90 minutes and then met with each fan personally and signed autographs.

Remember when the partition fell over? I looked at Doris at that moment and she just looked over at the partition but hardly budged. I'll never forget that. It didn't seem to bother her, although there were
probably several fans under the partition!!!! (We were all peeking through the dividers in the partitioned
wall and the weight of the fans against the wall knocked it over).

What a doll baby. I hope to make a movie of the Convention very soon. However, I cannot find the tape recording of that 90 minutes. Howard - do you have it? Ray, do you have it?? Pls contact me if you do.

I'll stop. I love to talk about Doris. It's hard to stop.

Lauren

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Lauren,
Those were the DAYS!!!! We were so lucky to have been at the right place at the right time and yes, we did have Doris all to ourselves in Bailey's and also at Martha Randall's....we appreciated her company and she seemed to enjoy ours, too - as we always had a lot to talk about....sometimes I even have to pinch myself to think that we actually had ALL that time with her. What fun - what great memories!!! We were the lucky ones.

Mary Anne

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Mary Anne~

I just noticed this movie that Diane posted. Duh. No wonder I'm confused about dates for the Actors and Others events.

In the home movie that you made - excellent, I might add - the year where Doris had her hand bandaged was last and the other event was first. So, I just figured that the event with her hand was 1974 since it came last and the other one was 1973. Guess it's just the opposite.

Guess things got mixed when you had that film made. Anyway, that's why I got confused about the dates. Otherwise, it's just age.

Lauren