Doris Day Contest.

More video creations and film/audio clips posted on YouTube, etc.
daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day Contest.

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Enjoy! :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Contest.

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing this little interview with us. Nice to see such things pop-up on this site more and more.

P

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for posting this video ... I'd never seen it before. Doesn't DD look great ... fresh-faced ... as natural as can be ... and (of course!), beautiful! Thanks again!
Like Irene Dunne done.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

Wow, I love it so much! Thanks for posting.

Have to admit, I lol'd when she said "most of them have blue eyes." Most of them?!? Surely that's top of the list of prerequisites when it comes to entering a Doris Day lookalike contest?! :lol:
howard wrote:Doesn't DD look great ... fresh-faced ... as natural as can be ... and (of course!), beautiful! Thanks again!
Natural would definitely be the word to describe Doris in this video - natural beauty and natural ease with the interviewer. Love it! :D
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

A joy to see this, thanks so much for posting.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

What a treasure to see this clip of Doris....a rare piece for sure. The more I watched it, the more I noticed that her hair was long enough to cover her eye brows - which seemed a little odd. She had very little make up on and looked absolutely adorable (as Billy De Wolfe would say). Thanks for posting it...these rare clips are really something - let's hope that more show up sometime.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Simply delicious! Doris is completely disarming and handled herself beautifully!

Lauren

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I just realized who the interviewer was: Mary Frann who played Bob Newhart's wife on his second series.

This was a lot of fun to watch. Doris is always so genuine and down to earth. Thanks for posting.

I wonder whatever happened to "Fifth Avenue Folly." Does anybody know?

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I remember reading about 'Fifth Avenue Folly' - somewhere????

Wasn't it supposed to be a musical with Carol Channing that never got off the ground? Or am I making that up?

Bryan- love the new banner with Doris, Rock & Tony.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

jmichael wrote:I wonder whatever happened to "Fifth Avenue Folly." Does anybody know?
For some reason I have it in my head that Fifth Avenue Folly was the working title for 'Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?'? I have no recollection of where or from who I might have heard that though, so may well have made it up!? lol
doris-day-fan wrote:The more I watched it, the more I noticed that her hair was long enough to cover her eye brows - which seemed a little odd.
I have a similar 'swept across' fringe/bangs (whatever the universal term is!) to that which Doris sported post-Pillow Talk and if I brush it down it sits just below my eyebrows. Maybe Doris fancied a change of style for the night?
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Great clip :)

So does anybody know who won the contest and if she really did get a part (which one?)?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I got the impression that it wasn't really a *part* but a "walk on" in the film.

Lauren

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

"Fifth Avenue Folly" was to have been the third picture of Miss Day's three picture deal with 20th Century Fox and producer Aaron Rosenberg ("Move Over, Darling" and "Do Not Disturb"). The script, which I was once in the 70's was about a woman, who as part of her divorce settlement, was awarded a New York City department store located on Fifth Avenue. Fox announced the film in 1965 with a start date of early 1966. Unfortunately, because of the enormous "spy film" popularity in 1965/66, the studio at the last minute jumped on the spy bandwagon and came up with "Caprice" as the third film of the Fox deal. "Folly" which was far superior as a comedy (it would have been a much better film that "Disturb" had it been shot in 1965 in place of that film), was never filmed. The contest winner never got her "walk on" once "Caprice" was substituted. In an interview with the NY Times in the spring of 1965, Marty Melcher mentioned "Folly" as one of Miss Day's upcoming projects.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Paul for the sterling info: as always.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

You're welcome.....and as part of my answer it should have read "I once read" the script in the 70's. There was a great bookstore (Bennetts) on Hollywood Boulevard that often had discarded scripts for sale. One of those was the script for "Fifth Avenue Folly" which I purchased and read voraciously, imagining what it would have been like had it been filmed. I laughed till I cried at some scenes and I truly felt at the time that it was even funnier than "The Glass Bottom Boat". Unfortunately I lost the script in a fire. Another role discussed for Miss Day around the same time was based on a best-selling book entitled, "The Girl in the Turquoise Bikini". The book was amusing but Marty decided against doing it and it was filmed and released in 1968 as "How Sweet It Is" with Debbie Reynolds in the part Miss Day would have played. It co-starred James Garner and had Miss Day done it, I've no doubt it would have been very successful because of their on-screen chemistry and track record.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Not sure if this and the previous comment should be in a new subject or not but since it all leads from the question about the Look Alike Contest, one more piece about another film that didn't happen around the same time.

On March 18, 1968, Box Office Magazine headlined "Doris Day to Star in CBS Films, "The Panda Affair". There was a four paragraph piece about the planned film that was to be the second feature of Miss Day's CBS Film deal ("Eggroll" being the first). The film was being written by Sol Saks who had written Cary Grant's 1966 success "Walk Don't Run" as well as being one of the creators of the then highly popular "Bewitched" television series). The film was to be set at the San Diego Zoo.

It was to have "rolled" in January, 1969 while Miss Day would have been on hiatus from the first season of her CBS sitcom. Paul Newman was being discussed as the co-star.

Newman had starred in a failed big screen comedy in 1963 called "A New KInd of Love" co-starring with his wife Joanne Woodward. He had wanted to do another comedy to eradicate the memory of that failed attempt and let it be known that he would be interested in playing the Russian in "The Panda Affair" who cooperates with Miss Day's role in the mating of a pair of Pandas. The first draft of this script was readily available at Bennett's Bookstore in Hollywood in the 70's and was very funny.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Some great [missed] opportunities, fascinating.