Golden Globes

More video creations and film/audio clips posted on YouTube, etc.
daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Golden Globes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I have found a great little interview with Doris from The Golden Globes.

If you go on this site you will see it. :
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... &src=quick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you all like it. :)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

unadka
Forum Friend

Re: Golden Globes

Unread post by unadka »

Thank you, thank you very much! I enjoy the clips.
Every time I visit this super Forum, something interesting is here, thanks to you all.
Nada

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for that DaybyDay ... it was wonderful to see!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Thanks, Day! Doris looked fantastic and very happy despite her nervousness. Someone told me years ago that Sydney (her houseboy at the time) drove her to L.A. for the event. She stayed at the Beverly Wilshire (I think I'm right on that) and had spaghetti for dinner (ordered to her room).

Howard or John are better versed on the hotels in and around Beverly Hills as it's been years since I've lived there.

Lauren

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

Wow, thanks for finding these - I'd never seen them before.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, thanks so much for posting, I had never seen this before and it was great to see.

Lauren - regarding your comments: Doris' trip back to L.A. for the Golden Globes fascinates me, probably because we know so little about it.

Even in recent published books it is not given a lot of mention and I for one would love to know more about it. Where did she stay? Did she visit any old haunts - for example, is Nat 'n Als still there or Baileys? Knowing what we know about Doris [that she does not live in the past] - it is very likely she did not visit any old haunts. I wonder if she even called into North Crescent Drive? She still owned it at that time.

I feel this trip is so momentus that it is a shame so little is known about it. Do we even know how long Doris was in LA and was this her last trip there? I think I read in one of the books Sidney Wood had driven her to LA once before [since her move to Carmel] for Les Brown's birthday.

Even the gown/ outfit I'd love to know more about - all I know is that Jacqueline Melcher [Terry's then wife] went to Sanfrancisco with Doris to pick it.

So many questions.....

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Jas ... David Kaufman interviewed Jacqueline a number of times, and I kept telling him to get as much information as possible about the Golden Globes event. Unfortunately, according to Kaufman, Jacqueline didn't have very much information to offer. I understand Doris stayed in Beverly Hills for only that one night. Sydney drove her to L.A. and back. Not much, but that's all I know.
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Arent't these two seperate occassions? The Golden Globes and Les Brown's Birthday. There were no coverage of Les brown's Birhtday I don't think. The Golden Globes was 1989, what year was the Les's Birthday celebration?

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

I can see the photo's, but the video doesn't start and the "players" symbol is crashed?

Anyone any suggestions how to change it into another realplayer/player? I have tried to download it but it doesnt work that way.

Love to hear from you,

P

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Do these work for you??

http://www.box.net/shared/d2os84kp24

http://www.box.net/shared/mshmn2bo7d

If not, let me know and I'll convert them to a different format.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Howard for the info.

Ray- my understanding is the Les Brown event was some time prior to the Golden Globes - maybe for his 80th birthday? I believe the Golden Globes was the last time Doris was in LA and the time before that was the Les Brown event.

Just did a check on LB birthday - and it couldn't have been for his 80th [which would have been 1992]. Maybe his 70th [1982] or 75th? - again, Howard may well be up to speed on this.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Jas and all~
With regard to your comment to me above - I guess the reason that we know so little about Doris' trip to Beverly to attend the Golden Globes is because I believe she was just there for the night and then - my guess is - that she and Sydney checked out of the hotel by checkout time the next day. As we all know, Doris likes to get back to her "babies." Meg Howard would have been put in charge for the two days.

Everything has changed so drastically in terms of information since the advent of computers (around 1995).
Back in the 80s, as a fan, one did not have wonderful forums such as this one, or computers where e-mail would make life easier. We had to actually letters to each other or call on the phone to get info!

Back in the 80s, I used to correspond to Don Chang, who was a dear, dear man. He wrote very long, handwritten letters all about Doris. He was friends with Sydney so he shared with me all kinds of gems. Don is the one who told me that Syd drove her to Beverly and what she ate for dinner. I could kick myself over and over for throwing away Don's letters as they contained a plethora of facts and gossip about what was happening in the Day household back then. This would have been in the late 80s and a time when Doris and Syd were having some difficulties here and there.

I don't think David Kaufman was interested in the details of the Golden Globes from Jackie. He was looking for some other information from her.

Lauren

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi chele_Belle,

Thank you for trying to make it available for me. It doesn't work. It says after I downloaded it: bad public movie atom??? I haven't got a clue what it means. But it doesn't work.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

That's okay, sorry it didn't work. I have no idea what that error means either! lol

I've converted both videos to .avi files, so you could maybe try these...

http://www.box.net/shared/d1ah55zrs3

http://www.box.net/shared/25yrhl084r

If you try to play them on you normal player they should work, but if not you could download the VLC media player - that pretty much plays any type of file. You can download it from here - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michele

Ginger Rogers

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Michelle~
Thanks so much for your work. The various extensions on videos drive everyone nuts but you did the kind thing in converting to avi so that we don't have to do it and remembering that some on the list simply don't have the time to explore such avenues.

I have the VLC player and it is excellent - highly recommended.

Lauren

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi Michelle,

Yoehoe!!!! it worked. It's so great to see this. Thank you for all your work. I love it. Doris looks great doesn't she?

P

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Peter Flapper wrote:Hi Michelle,

Yoehoe!!!! it worked. It's so great to see this. Thank you for all your work. I love it. Doris looks great doesn't she?

P
:D I'm glad that you finally got to see it! Well worth the wait. Doris is absolutely beautiful in the clips, isn't she. She has such poise and grace.

And Lauren, I'm just glad that I could help. :) The VLC player is definitely the best out there - plays pretty much anything.
Michele

Ginger Rogers

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

DaybyDay - thanks for finding this gem!

Michelle - thanks for the AVIs. I have just put them in movie form and hope to upload to YouTube this evening. I did a search on YouTube for "Doris Day - Golden Globes" and nothing was found, so I guess no one else has put it up in movie form. If someone finds it on YouTube, please let me know.

Doris is so adorable in this that I hope many people will see her. I guess if someone objects I'll hear about it - as usual. LOL!!

Lauren

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

I have uploaded a new movie using the footage discussed above. I hope you will take a look and that you'll enjoy it. Leave a nice comment about Doris in the Comments sections, too, if you have time.

Thanks to DaybyDay and Michelle for bringing this footage to our attention.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Mi1tOS6Xo

Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I'm sorry the link I put up stopped working. Glad you all got to see it now.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Dominique...it still works! Thanks for putting that up -- what a treasure. :)
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Thanks for these great clips of Doris - talk about being up-close and personal with her...it is so life-like and I can almost feel her presence and smell her awesome perfume! WOW, this is a fabulous clip and she looks wonderful - just the way I remember her. Thank you for finding it and posting it for all to enjoy!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."