Leonard Maltin's comments about Doris

Books and articles about Doris Day.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Leonard Maltin's comments about Doris

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 Jan 2019, 12:55

I stumbled across a column film critic/historian Leonard Maltin wrote about Doris in 2010 and wanted to share it, even though it's not current. See it at leonardmaltin.com/doris-day-speaks.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Leonard Maltin's comments about Doris

Unread post by jmichael » 16 Jan 2019, 07:21

I remember listening to this interview a few years ago.

What strikes me now is how unconnected to show business Doris was. She was never bitten by the stardom bug and considered it a job. It was a job she enjoyed but the joy came more from the experience and the people, not the fame aspect. Having just finished Todd Fisher's memoir about life with mother Debbie Reynolds, father Eddie Fisher and sister Carrie Fisher, I can tell you that Debbie and Doris were polar opposites. Debbie's entire life revolved around show business. She was happiest on a stage entertaining people. It was remarkable to read how much every award and accolade meant to Debbie. She craved recognition from her peers, whereas Doris couldn't care less.

Thanks for posting this Judy.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Apr 2019, 10:11

You can isten to the audio below (1hr 2m) top of page:

Celebrating Hollywood Legend Doris Day Oct 30, 2010
https://www.wnyc.org/story/99264-celebr ... -doris-day
What a difference a Day makes...

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Re: WNYC Music Host Jonathan Schwartz Interview with Miss Day

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 18 Apr 2019, 22:44

Thanks a million for posting the Johnathan Schwartz interview with Doris Day. The 62 minute interview was in many ways an eye opener for me. Although most of the comments made by Miss Day about her singing and movie career were familiar, it was great to hear them from Doris Day herself. This is interview is "must listen" event for all Doris Day fans to experience. The revelations in Miss Day's own words answered many questions I had about such events as "South Pacific," her train/automobile accident, and her recording activities. Particulary intriguing was her statement about why she did not move to Capitol Records. I recall reading that Frank Sinatra tried to pursuade her to move after he went from Columbia Records to Capitol Records. She was very open about her losing the lead in "South Pacific" to Mitzi Gaynor. There are so many other facts expressed by her which makes this interview so important. Do set aside this hour and listen to the interview. You will be glad you did. Thanks again Bryan, and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 Apr 2019, 13:14

Bryan,

Thanks so much for the audio recording.

In another thread, we were talking about Streisand and her upcoming concert in London. Hearing this interview again, it reminded me that Doris was very different from Streisand. Different in many obvious ways but definitely in the way she approached her career. Doris never demanded creative control whereas Streisand insisted on it when she negotiated her first recording contract with Columbia. That way, she never had to sing songs she didn't like. She and her team chose the songs she sang and that was it. She was wise to do that because she could have been contractually obligated to record those terrible novelty songs that Mitch Miller forced on Sinatra and Doris.

I can't get over how unassuming and modest Doris is. She is a breath of fresh air.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 23 Apr 2019, 06:32

Thanks, Texas & Michael, There's another audio on there I don't know if you've heard:

Behind the 'girl next door' Doris Day (50 mins)
John Schaefer / Host, New Sounds and Soundcheck

"Hollywood star Doris Day was a household name back in the 1950s and 1960s and while she withdrew from public life shortly thereafter, she is still the top-ranking female box-office star of all time. We look at her career with a Doris Day biographer and hear songs inspired by Day's career performed by singer-songwriter Nellie McKay live in our studio. Also: Film composer Carter Burwell and cellist Maya Beiser discuss the art of film scoring."
https://www.newsounds.org/story/42812-b ... doris-day/
What a difference a Day makes...

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 24 Apr 2019, 08:21

Interesting to hear what David Kaufmann had to say about her reaction to his book and his thoughts about Barry Comden. I didn't realize that Comden was a friend of Jerome Rosenthal, assuming that is accurate information. I wonder if Doris knew that. Knowing what she must have felt about Rosenthal, it begs the question why she would marry Comden. Kaufmann also implies that Comden negotiated the settlement from the lawsuit. I find that surprising since Terry was in charge of her business affairs at the time, or so I thought.

I was not a fan of Nelly McKay's tribute album to Doris. Her voice doesn't do much for me but it was a lovely gesture on her part. Wonderful to hear her speak so positively about Doris though.

Bryan, thanks for finding another rare interview.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 24 Apr 2019, 10:07

It's been a long time since I read Kaufmann's book, but I remember having the same reaction as Michael did about the Comden-Rosenthal connection. Based on a comment Terry Melcher made to Cleveland Amory in a published interview I once read (paraphrase: "Don't ask me about Comden; I don't want to discuss him"), it was clear that Terry had little or no regard for him.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 May 2019, 21:50

Behind The Girl Next Door was a real pleasure to hear. I had not heard about singer-songwriter Nellie McKay before. She has an incredibly tender voice. Has anyone heard her tribute album to Doris called Normal As Blueberry Pie?

It was interesting to hear David Kaufman say how Doris found the attention she received unwelcome after the publication of his book.

The Carter Burwell segment was really interesting. Burwell was a New York neighbour of my friend Michael.

Thanks so much for posting.
Johnny