Booklist for DayReaders

Books and articles about Doris Day.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Booklist for DayReaders

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 16 Sep 2019, 13:55

Hi Howard & Johnny,

Thank you both for your reply's. Will search for these books soon. They sound interesting. Got the photo from Facebook Howard, a nice one. MM & DD in one shot... Never thought that should happen. And now it's there.

P

docwheels
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by docwheels » 18 Sep 2019, 18:18

You can find a copy of the picture of Marilyn Monroe at the November 1954 wrap party for
The Seven Year Itch - with Doris dancing in the background - at https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... popup=true

Getty also has another picture of Doris from this party at the table talking to Charles Vidor and sitting across from George Burns, at
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... popup=true.

The book "The Goddess and the Girl Next Door" describes Doris this way, "She spent a large part of the evening with Charles Vidor, discussing the film they were making at MGM, Love Me or Leave Me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Sep 2019, 05:03

Wow thanks for these, what gems. :D :idea: :idea: :idea:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 19 Sep 2019, 09:31

Thank you so much docwheels . Every photo tells a story and these pictures confirm Doris and Marilyn attended the same party.

Terrific photos!
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 20 Sep 2019, 11:28

I believe they also attended at least one Golden Globes event on the same evening. Don't know if there was any interaction.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 25 Sep 2019, 22:30

Just finished reading a book by Sam Trust titled "Would You Trust This Man with Your Songs?", subtitled "A Life in Music Business." Sam Trust is a semi-retired music publisher who lives in Carmel, and his book is a collection of stories only an industry insider would be able to tell. All 10 reviewers of it on Amazon give it 5 stars. I agree with 5 stars for its content -- but not for its proofreading or editing!

At any rate, Mr. Trust has spent over 50 years in the music business with various publishers and labels. After Terry's death, he began handling -- and is still handling -- the procurement of royalties from all of the songs in Doris's music catalogue, as well as from all of her movies. He devotes 2 chapters (about 10 pages) to his experiences, which have included persuading an unnamed studio to pay royalties that they had withheld from her over a period of 32 years. (The result was a payment of $110,000.)

He writes about the sales figures for her My Heart album, and says that his favorite of all her albums is Duet. He describes Doris as a "profoundly great vocalist and interpreter of songs," saying that her work should be considered "one of the most significant contributions to the Great American Songbook." In addition to details about the business part of his association with Doris, he mentions her great sense of humor and some other personality traits. He concludes by saying that it is a joy for him to represent her.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 26 Sep 2019, 10:48

Thanks for that interesting quote, Musiclover.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 26 Sep 2019, 15:53

Thank you so much Music lover for the information on Sam Trust's book, "Would You Trust This Man With Your Songs?" I am keen to read it.

I don't t recall seeing Sam Trust mentioned in any books on Doris.

I really appreciate his remarks on Doris' as a vocal artist.

Thank you again.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 27 Sep 2019, 11:39

You're welcome, Johnny. I think Sam Trust is someone whose work is done behind the scenes, and so that's why his name isn't commonly known to people outside the music industry. I had not heard of him, either, until I read a comment from him about Doris in the Carmel newspaper recently. There is no index in his book, but it contains short stories about his experiences with many songwriters and singers from various eras. Among those who come to mind at the moment are the Everly Brothers, Kenny Rogers, the Beatles (and Yoko Ono). I enjoyed the wry humor in Trust's writing.