Doris Day - Her Own Story

Books and articles about Doris Day.
IndyDorisFan

Unread post by IndyDorisFan »

[quote="Diane T"]Please, can't we discuss Doris's book. I was looking forward to it! I've only been on the forum for a short while, but I don't like seeing anyone being ridiculed, for any reason. If someone has a problem with another, they should address it directly to that person and leave it out of the forum...ok?[/quote]

Thank you Diane, I agree! I just got a used copy of the book on Amazon so haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'll post my thoughts when I do.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Maybe it should be like "one chapter = one topic"?

Just like in the movie section - Then everybody could just join in whenever he read the specific chapter. I believe to put a discussion on all chapters in just one thread would become very confusing?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Dianne »

Alright, Chapter One:

My impression of Doris's opening to the book is one that is telling us outright...that the general public is totally off base with her image. Almost as if, in my opinion, how could the public have given her the goody two shoes image with the roles she played....-- from being slugged and raped by Jimmy Cagney, to hysterical with fear of Louis Jourdan. Then moving on to her personal life, which is not far from the screen life. Almost as if: how did you people come to this conclusion?

She seems to be in disbelief of the image. Just as she can't understand how much she is adored today.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I've dusted off my copy of her book and will delve into it along with the rest of you. What a great idea, Diane!

Edited. Does not meet criteria.
We are discussing the book 'Doris Day- Her Own Story'

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Debbi Austen wrote:
I heard she was disappionted in the book after it came out. It seems her friend's comments about how they didn't like Marty Melcher suprised her.
Doris is such an honest woman that it must have been unthinkable to her that Marty could have knowingly been a willing participant in her financial ruin. It seems that Dick Dorso was perhaps the only one mentioned in her book that felt he wasn't intentionally up to *no good*.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Page 18 "But nothing seem to daunt the persistent image of me as the unsullied sunshine girl of health and drive-in."

I think she does appear to be sunshine and wholesome in her films. I was watching April in Paris, the other day, and although she was playing a chorus girl, all I could see was sweet, adorable Doris. It is remarkable that she can be this way considering the hardships she went through.

I think it must have been hard for her to write this book, and remember all those memories.

She goes on to talk about her background and her relationship with her father.

Diane, I think your right, Dick Dorso seems to be one of MM few friends. Sam Weiss absolutely hated the guy, and never writes anything positive about him. But what is funny is according to SW, Marty often confided in him. But that's another chapter.

IndyDorisFan

Re: Image

Unread post by IndyDorisFan »

[quote="doris-day-fan"]I've dusted off my copy of her book and will delve into it along with the rest of you. What a great idea, Diane!
[/quote]

I'm sure it was very hard for Doris to re-live some of the things that happened to her early in life so of course her sessions with Hotchner would be hard on her. Very brave of her to reveal some of the things she did in her autobio. It's good to have your inside view on Doris regarding her book.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Doris mentions that she believes in predestination; that what we do with our lives, is locked into us from birth. I tend to believe this as well...to me this solidifies what Kay Ballard has stated, that God did a little dance around her when she was born. Truly, Doris is blessed.

She does speak extensively about her father's presence in the household in the first chapter. She was extremely candid about everything concerning her father and her feelings toward him. Really, there appeared to be no omissions whatsoever. It's painful to think how hard she was working to preserve her home life *be it a happy one or not*.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Yes, perhaps there could be a place where people could freely shed some daylight on Doris, like the member's section. We could call it "Thrill of it All!"
.:lol: No complaining allowed.

We could post items - like driving in a convertible with the top down - wind blowing through our hair.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

I would just like to say that I like the above suggestion. Very good !
In addition, I am working on an index to this book so it is easier to find things. I will have it in a few weeks. Let me know if you would like a copy, and I will make it generally available.

webmaster

Something about a book

Unread post by webmaster »

To return to the subject, Diane said "Doris mentions that she believes in predestination" - I've studdied this and it's a mind-blowing topic, often linked to John Calvin (1509–1564) a French Protestant theologian during the Protestant Reformation.
Predestination: The Divine foreordaining of all that will happen; with regard to the salvation of some and none others. It has been particularly associated with the teachings of St. Augustine of Hippo and of John Calvin.

Predestination may sometimes be used to refer to other, materialistic, spiritualist, non-theistic or polytheistic ideas of determinism, destiny, fate, doom, or karma. Such beliefs or philosophical systems may hold that any outcome is finally determined by the complex interaction of multiple, possibly immanent, possibly impersonal, possibly equal forces, rather than the issue of a Creator's conscious choice.

For example, some may speak of predestination from a purely physical perspective, such as in a discussion of time travel. In this case, rather than referring to the afterlife, predestination refers to any events that will occur in the future. In a predestined universe the future is immutable and only one set of events can possibly occur; in a non-predestined universe, the future is mutable. In Chinese Buddhism, predestination is a translation of yuanfen, which does not necessarily imply the existence or involvement of a deity. Predestination in this sense takes on a very literal meaning: pre- (before) and destiny, in a straightforward way indicating that some events seem bound to happen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination

If you are interested search for Calvin + Predestination. Basically it means that because God (if you accept the possibility) is eternal he exists outside of time. Therefore he has seen both the beginning and end of human history, which is neither 'past' nor 'future' for him but exists outside of time - it's a hard concept to get your head around but very exciting. And raises questions about why some people are predestined to 'not share Heaven' (Many are called but few are choosen, etc)

I didn't know Doris believed in this - I'm not sure if I do but I did read a lot about it when I was younger.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

It is a fascinating topic all right. Thanks for the links, Bryan.

Doris' self-description of her beliefs in predestination fall firmly within the Buddhist and/or determinism faction. Not so much in the Calvinist vein of the "saving" of some souls vs. others. Just that certain things are fixed by fate.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

In Romance on the High Seas, something happened. Although she said she cried, etc. when she got there and the camera was on her, she seemed altogether in her niche - like she knew it was where she thought she belonged. I was surprised at her performance, considering she had just learned how to hit her marks.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

The Doris Day Animal Foundation
c/o Ms Judy Ruby
P.O. Box 1008
Versailles, KY 40383

But there is a form to print out and mail in, and you can find it on pg one of this topic. Looks like a good deal : $9 + 4.50 shipping.

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

Does anyone know if the book offer for the paperback copy of Doris Day's book is current? I sent off for two copies about 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. The check hasn't cleared the bank either.
Barb

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Yes, the book offer is current. I sent mine off with payment in early April and received my book within two weeks. However, my check was returned from the DDAF in LA with a nice note stating that they no longer carried any DD merchandise. (I had made a note on my check referencing the *book*). That must have caused the confusion with DDAF.

I returned my check to them and crossed out *book* and replaced with *contribution*. I also sent them a copy of the form for their future reference. Basically, Judy receives the order, mails the book, and forwards the check to LA.

Maybe Judy is swamped with book orders. :?:

Daisy June

Re: Doris Day - Her Own Story

Unread post by Daisy June »

I have read this book about 4 times. I love it. Doris really went some rough times but she came through it all for the better.
She is such an inspiration to me and I'm sure many many more.
Carol

*Annie*

Unread post by *Annie* »

Can we please keep to the topic...'Doris Day - Her Own Story...a discussion about her book. I appreciate that a topic can go off track when you are having fun but it's not acceptable to speculate about Doris' life.

We are not talking about what might have been nearly 40 years ago...
It is not necessarily true for today and doris-day-fan cannot qualify to know the facts, but can only speculate. The forum is not for speculation...
Let's leave what D does or might or might not do out of discussions... this topic is 'Doris Day- Her Own Story' which is for discussion about Doris' OWN book.

Apart from being off topic, doris-day-fan post was again stretching boundaries by speculating on Doris' personal life.

It is for this reason it was removed.

*Annie*

Unread post by *Annie* »

Mary Anne..your post is off topic again. Please stick to the rules.

I repeat...this thread is to discuss Doris' own book...as your friend Rita suggested in her post on the 3rd May

*Annie*

Unread post by *Annie* »

No offence girls...I know you were just having fun Carol, Diane, Suzie, Barb and Megan but you were straying off topic. So to keep things even, I have deleted your posts too. :wink:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

It's totally cool Annie, no hard feelings!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Ditto what Megan said. Sorry
Carol

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

this was a riviting book. I devour most biographies, but when it comes to Doris, I could not put it down. What still came through was the sense of optimism. I too thought that we got a pretty complete picture of Doris Day. Her thoughts and beliefs which is missing from many biographies written as a narrative.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Her Own Story is the only Doris Day book I've read. I picked it up at a local library years ago and I remember enjoying every bit of it.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Re: Something about a book

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

webmaster wrote:To return to the subject, Diane said "Doris mentions that she believes in predestination" -

If you are interested search for Calvin + Predestination. Basically it means that because God (if you accept the possibility) is eternal he exists outside of time. Therefore he has seen both the beginning and end of human history, which is neither 'past' nor 'future' for him but exists outside of time - it's a hard concept to get your head around but very exciting. And raises questions about why some people are predestined to 'not share Heaven' (Many are called but few are choosen, etc)

I didn't know Doris believed in this - I'm not sure if I do but I did read a lot about it when I was younger.
I don't believe in predestination. If you do, you should ask yourself what kind of a cruel God it is who says: "You'll have a wonderful life" to one person and "You'll find yourself in a life fillled with sorrow and pain" to another. There are many factors that have an impact on our lives. Just be in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's fate, not predestined. Everything on earth has a reason but it's not controlled by God.