Doris Day - Her Own Story

Books and articles about Doris Day.
dayniac
Honorary Member

Doris Day - Her Own Story

Unread post by dayniac » 22 Jun 2007, 18:11

I've just been re-reading DD's autobiography. I don't know if everyone has read - I'm sure most of you have. It is just a great read. If you havn't read it you really should.
I was reading it again to find the quote by Kirk Douglas - but it wasn't with the YMWAH section. Anyone know where it is ??

There are so many great quotes about Doris.

Cagney said -Doris is the epitome of guilelessness. An almost naive quality of innocence and trust. As an actress, she perfectly illustrates my definition of good acting; just plant yourself, look the other actor in the eye, and tell him the truth. That's what she does, all right.

Michael Curtiz said -- I will tell you about you - you have very strong individual personality. No matter what you do on screen, no matter what kind part you play, it will always be you. What I mean is, the Doris Day will always shine through the part. This will make you big important star. You listen to me. Is very rare thing....You have very strong personality. Is you. Is unique. Thats why I don't want you to take lessons. You have a natural thing there in you, should no one ever disturb. You listen to me, Doris. Is very rare thing. Do not disturb.
Wow - on her very first movie -- He certainly was right !

It's just a wonderful book ! As I said - if you haven't read it - then you should !

Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 22 Jun 2007, 18:42

I was looking for the book today online at work and came across a few from Amazon.com, but there were so many different ones, I wasn't sure which would be the best to get. :P
H E A T H E R | Graphics

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 22 Jun 2007, 18:52

I have the one with a picture of Doris in a blue shirt standing in a field. I imagine any of them would be a good choice. It's a good read - lots of insight into Doris.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 22 Jun 2007, 20:01

What I love most about Doris' book, is that it's about what she felt and thought and believed. Not simply facts about her life. That's the kind of thing you cannot get from a third party biographer. I don't care who someone slept with or how much they got paid for a certain film, etc. I loved reading Doris' opinions and hopes and thoughts. You can only get those from an autobiography. And hers is probably the very best of the ones I've read.

I'm sure the upcoming Kaufman book will be chock full of "facts" about who she slept with and who liked her and who didn't like her, but it will never be more than an outsider's view of who he thinks the subject is, filtered through his own prism of opinions, beliefs, prejudices, etc. Biographies ALWAYS reveal as much, if not more, about the author than they do the subject. What makes Doris "Doris" is what she put into her own book. All anyone else can write is list of facts or supposed facts about a person.

Which is not to say the stories in biographies aren't interesting or worth reading; and I'm sure the Kaufman book will be a fun read. It's just that those books do not reveal the soul of the subject. You can only get that from the person herself.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 22 Jun 2007, 22:44

So very true. This is the third time I've read her book...and, you are so right .. that is what I always enjoy so much. It's so interesting to see her view of her career and life. See the Hollywood workings from her side. And, its very interesting to hear her talk about Marty and read all the opinions about him from people writing comments for the book.
She's quite a lady !!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Her own story.

Unread post by Jas1 » 23 Jun 2007, 05:37

I have read A LOT of autobiographies, and Doris' is the tops, and that is not just because I adore her so much. Great [and true] comments above. One of my most disappointing reads was Peggy Lees. Such a genuis in vocal styling and in writing music, so obviously intelligent, but it didn't make it, for me.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 23 Jun 2007, 07:30

I haven't read her autobio in a long time but agree it was one of the very best of its kind. I thought the concept of providing her point of view, her impressions of the events in her life and then inserting the perceptions of others who worked with her or who knew her personally resulted in a fascinating portrait of the complete woman. It stands out as so much more than just a catalog of the movies and her recollections of the film business.

I wonder if anyone has ever approached Doris about writing a followup the way Lauren Bacall did last year.

Another autobio that was quite good: Mary Tyler Moore's "After All" which I felt was very well written by the lady herself. And who by the way is a staunch animal rights advocate just like our Doris.

Sheila

Autobiography

Unread post by Sheila » 23 Jun 2007, 09:00

Doris’ autobiography was one of the most inspirational books that I have ever read. Her ideology on life and positive attitude I found remarkable. From reading this book, you really get an idea about the woman behind the music and camera. :wink:

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 23 Jun 2007, 10:07

Well, I will definitly be ordering this today! Thanks all! :D
H E A T H E R | Graphics

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 26 Apr 2008, 12:58

I love this book! Maybe we should have a book discussion on it.

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day - Her Own Story

Unread post by Dianne » 27 Apr 2008, 07:35

[quote="dayniac"]I've just been re-reading DD's autobiography. I don't know if everyone has read - I'm sure most of you have. It is just a great read. If you havn't read it you really should.
I was reading it again to find the quote by Kirk Douglas - but it wasn't with the YMWAH section. Anyone know where it is ??

The quote from Kirk Douglas is on page 325 in chapter 21 of Her Own Story. By the way, if anyone wants to order a brand new copy of this book, order directly from Judy Ruby in Kentucky and all of the money goes directly to Doris's foundation.
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/thea ... s/herstory
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 27 Apr 2008, 07:46

Diane great that it is possible to order this book and Doris' foundation gets the benefit. My copy is falling apart and I would like another copy. I have followed your link but can't find a link to purchase. Would it be possible please to give some further details?

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 27 Apr 2008, 07:56

Hi Shiela,
Sorry, I should have mentioned that you must print out the form and mail it to the Kentucky address along with your check. There is no way to order it instantly on line. I had long lost my original copy of the book that I bought back in the 70's and really didn't want a used copy. Plus, I wanted my money to go to the DDAF. Btw, it only took a week to receive my book from the Kentucky address. (hope this helps)
Diane
p.s. it it the paperback version

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 28 Apr 2008, 12:06

Thank you Diane, I will give it a go.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 02 May 2008, 18:17

Ok, who IS interested in discussing her autobiography? Well I am, for sure. Any takers?

I read this when it first came out in the 70's, but I was only a mere 20 years old with few life experiences of my own. Virtually unable to truly appreciate the depth and magnitude of her life. My interests in her, at that time, were with movie star eyes. Re-reading it in my 50's, with some living under my belt, good times maybe some not so good times, and the *wisdom* that comes with age, has provoked in me a greater understanding of who Doris really is.....an honest, trusting, and loving person. As a matter of fact, after reading this, what else is there? As previously posted, not much else can compare to her own accounting of her life.

And yes, it would be wonderful for her to update her autobiography. She has so much more to tell!
Diane

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Let's discuss!

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 02 May 2008, 20:28

Diane,

Great idea - I would very much like to be a part of this discussion...where do you want to begin?

Mary Anne

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 02 May 2008, 22:45

I first read this book last year. I was so impressed by it that I took it over to my sister's and read it to her. We were both silent after we read about her car accident. She retold it so vividly. It seemed like every time Doris was about to get ahead, fate stepped in. When it looked like she was going to have a successful dancing career, there was the car accident. She was becoming sucessful as a singer, and then she married Al Jorden. Around the time she of her screen test, George was asking for a divorce. Her first picture was sucessful and then Al Levy came on to her - enter Marty Melcher.

I am reading this book again. Maybe we can do a discussion chapter by chapter. We read the first chapter and then we discuss it. Does that sound like a good idea?

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 02 May 2008, 23:18

Hi Mary Anne and Debbie,

Yes, this is wonderful AND a great idea to take it chapter by chapter. I do hope other forum members will join in.
Diane

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 02 May 2008, 23:57

Doris' book is great. What I love is that she really goes into her thoughts and feelings and beliefs. You don't get that from a lot of autobiographies, especially the "Hollywood" ones. And you never get it from a biography.

One thing I've always been a little sad about: it came out at atime when there wern't that many books on tape, except select ones for the blind. How awesome would it have been to have Doris read the unabridged version on tape or cd. Can't you just hear her voice on some of the passages anyway?
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 03 May 2008, 05:25

Doris Day's own story for me, is a very inspirational book. It gives a rare insight into Doris Day the person, and because of this, it's a precious book to me. I don't think any of the recent books about Doris, can capture that insight, because they have not received the co-operation of the subject.

I am so pleased that Doris took the time to work with A.E. Hotchner on this book, in addition to it's value in understanding Doris Day, it is a glimpse into the past. I have read somewhere that she enjoyed working on the book, which at the time was hugely successful in terms of sales. I think I also read that Doris did a lot of promotional interviews when the book came out in America. Didn't she come to England too, to promote the book?

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 03 May 2008, 09:11

hi everyone!! Hi Mary Ann, you haven't posted in awhile!!

Well, I think this is simply a good idea, and as soon as I have time to buy the book, I'd be glad to join the discussion..

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 03 May 2008, 09:14

I was immediately drawn to her story from the first page! Just picturing Doris bouncing into the restaurant at the Beverly Hills Hotel with Hotchner's portrayal of her arriving on a chariot of sunshine! Seemed as though Hotchner was immediately smitten with Doris.

"...smiling the smile of someone who had the enjoyment of life written all over her, infectiously radiating that joy of life..." ~ Hotchner. And he meant that!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 03 May 2008, 09:23

Your right John,

It would have been wonderful if Doris taped and unabridged version of her book. All the forum members would be scrambling to get a copy. :P I heard she was disappointed in the book after it came out. It seems her friend's comments about how they didn't like Marty Melcher suprised her.

So are we on to discuss chapter 1?

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 03 May 2008, 09:48

Onward!!

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne » 03 May 2008, 15:28

Please, can't we discuss Doris's book. I was looking forward to it! I've only been on the forum for a short while, but I don't like seeing anyone being ridiculed, for any reason. If someone has a problem with another, they should address it directly to that person and leave it out of the forum...ok?