DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Books and articles about Doris Day.
John M
Honorary Member

Re: Girl next door

Unread post by John M »

bryan wrote:
It's good to know this book won't deal with deeply personal things or make "revelations" that are not a third party's place to do.

Emmm.. I didn't actually say that, John! I don't know what is in the book - apart from a few pointers I've mentioned.
You've substituted 'biographer' for 'third party', which is interesting! I've just looked up the meaning of 'biographer', which is defined simply as "someone who writes an account of another person's life". And came across the word 'hagiographer', - the author of a worshipful or idealizing biography, which probably most of us here would write.
Uh, NO, Bryan, that is not what I would write, nor does that have anything to do with what I posted. Please don't make assumptions about why people may be leery of this book. It's NOT a question of us not wanting to face facts about Doris the woman. It's that NO ONE except the person themselves should be revealing certain highly personal facts. That is not the place for a third party, biographer or not. Doris' professional life is open for any biographer to write about. Her personal life is another matter.

I hope the misinformation and assumptions about why people may not be 100% supportive of this book will not AGAIN rear their ugly heads. :roll: Last time, we were accused of either wanting to paint Doris as a saint, or we were jealous of the relationship the author had with Doris, or were afraid Doris will be hurt. The critics of us "book bashers" never talked about the truth: an individual human right to privacy, even for a celebrity.

Whoever Doris slept with is irrelevent to her talent and legacy. It has ZERO to do with why she was a great singer and awesome comedienne. People simply want to know it, and feel they are entitled to have that information about her. I understand that. But to include it (possibly) in a book to help people "understand" the celebrity is spurious at best. It has no relevance. None of us had that info when we first discovered Doris' remarkable talents, and the info isn't needed now. I have yet to meet someone who said to me: "I don't know if I like or understand Doris' performance until I find out what kind of sex life she had. Then I'll understand her and know whether I like the way she sang that song or not." What we like or dislike about Doris is all there in the work. Nothing else matters. And we're not "entitled" to it, even if it did.

I am hopeful that DK gets it, but it is a cautious optimism. I'd hate to think that certain elements in her life were being "pimped out" to make her look "cooler" in the 21st century.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Vicki M

My 2 cents

Unread post by Vicki M »

I think it is the emotions she brings up in each of us while listening to her music or watching her performaces is what makes us curious about the woman behind the voice and camera. I agree it isn't any of our business, but one does wonder.

KarenSev

Unread post by KarenSev »

John, I could not say it any better than you just did. I want to think that someone could do a book about Doris without throwing her private life and private information up for scrutiny. There are alot of things about our Doris that can be used and does not invade the boundaries of privacy, especially such in her own home.
One of things I have always loved about Doris is that she is not "Miss Goody Two Shoes" and I have always hated her being labeled as such.
She is a myriad of different beliefs and emotions that are all her own, and is not a simplified "saint". However, like most revered enigmas during our lifetime, she is a respected icon, much like Bob Hope was or Danny Thomas, Lucille Ball etc. As years have passed, we know all of these people did not live sainted lives, but what they gave to their fans was very special and most precious.
You can say alot about the real Doris Day without offending and without invasion of privacy, and that story is truly intriguing...to do otherwise, is just gathering invasive propaganda to sell books.
And yes, there are fans who will not stand for that. And I, as one of those fans, will voice my opinion regardless of the labels thrown at me.
I would like to say I am optimistic on this one, but I do have my doubts like many of us. However, this gentleman did not work for Doris, so I believe I will give him the benefit of any doubt for now. I am hoping I will be truly surprised and love what I read when this comes out. If so, I would be the first to praise Mr. Kaufman for a job well done.
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Is the Tom Santopietro book a "biography" just because a blogger says so in a so-called "review" (Bryan's post on Page 1)? I thought it was said to be, in 2007, a chronology of DD's life and an examination of her career. That doesn't make it a biography.

DD's own book (Doris Day, Her Own Story--by A. E. Hotchner) is described on its bookjacket as "an unusual collaboration in the form of an autobiography"--not a biography nor an autobiography, just in the FORM of an autobiography. In other words, not a story as told by an outsider.

The forthcoming David Kaufman book is probably the foremost of any and all of the books written that purport to be biographical. The fact that the cover photo is a "glamour shot" (per JohnM) under a title that includes the words "girl next door" doesn't, to me, bode well for the effort.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

So far we only know the title and what's on the cover; that's what my post was about.

Maybe there are only a limited number of photos for which the rights could be obtained by the publisher--too bad someone chose this one.

If the title were "DORIS: The Untold Story" it would be something to anticipate.

Speaking of cliches, that "girl next door" cliche (based on OMB, BTLOTSM, & YAH?) especially combined with a crusty old studio photo, perpetuates the myths that should be dispelled--in print, by someone. This doesn't sound as if it will be the definitive biography (despite what those on the forum who've had nice exchanges with the author) have said.

Maybe they know what will sell books (publishing is no less a business than show business). I know I'll buy it.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Kaufman book

Unread post by webmaster »

I was thinking along similar lines, Dave - I prefered David's original title, "But Not for Me" - can't remember the byline but I think it might have been 'The untold story of Doris Day'. But I suppose if you are a publisher who has invested a lot of bucks in a book project you want a simple title with all the 'keywords' in it so that people can find/buy easily. I got the impression that it was David's job to write the book and the publisher does everything else. A bit like James Cagney saying to Doris in "Love Me or Leave Me", "You do the singing, I'll do all the real work!" (paraphrase).

The thing about the 'girl next door' - no girl who's lived next door to me has ever been a band singer in their teens and went on to become a Hollywood movie star. I guess it's a reflection of Doris' persona - even though she was a big Hollywood star, she gave the impression she was down-to-earth and could be someone living next door to you.

As for whether it will be the 'definative' book - is there such a thing? If someone were to write the 'definative book' about you or me and interviewed everyone who knew us intimately, would that 'explain us' completely? Would that be the whole story? I don't think so. It might go some way to doing that but that's all.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Until it's published this book remains somewhat of a mystery, because no one is sure exactly what to expect. However, there are two things of which I am certain. The first certainty is that I don't like the title, "The Untold Story Of The Girl Next Door". For me, this title suggests that David Kaufman has been doing a lot of investigative journalism, looking for material that as yet has not come to light...or if it has not come to light yet, I would imagine that there would be a reason for it...Confidentiality!

The second thing of which I am certain, is that I will not be buying this book. It has nothing to do with my seeing Doris Day as "Private Property", or indeed,that I think she has a permanent halo attached to her head... because I do not. It also has nothing to do with how I perceive Doris would feel about this book, because I do not know how she feels about it. It has to do with my fundamental belief, that a person who has brought so much pleasure into my life deserves to be treated with respect...and respect for me means being entitled to a private life!

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Wasn't it Joan Crawford who refused the role taken by Ginger Rogers in 1951's "Storm Warning" saying that no one would believe she was DD's sister?

Now, in today's Page Six column of the NY Post, words to this effect: "..impossible to think Steven Spielberg would be terrified by anybody he directed. But the Oscar winner admits he was jolted to learn that on his first-ever TV gig at age 21 he'd be taking on tempermental legend Joan Crawford.. he tells Charlotte Chandler in her new Crawford biography.. 'NOT THE GIRL NEXT DOOR'" (!!)

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

THANK-YOU ---- John and Karen. I agree with everything you said - and said so eloquently !

I liked Considering Doris Day -- Although, I didn't agree with many of his opionions. I didn't look at it as a biography at all. It was a review of her work. And peronal information wasn't necessary for him to give his opinion of her career.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Roberta, this has nothing to do with permission or a secretaries memoir...this is purely my personal opinion based on how I feel. It is my personal belief, that there is sufficient material to capture a reader's interest in Doris' public persona and career. I do not feel that it is necessary to delve into Doris' personal private life to "spice" up a book. Doris Day is an icon and as such, I believe there is sufficient material available to make a profit on a professionally written book that deals with her career and the people she has worked with over the years. No researcher needs to attempt to have eyes into the lady's bedroom. This to me would be totally inappropriate.

I do however, realise my views can be perceived as being not quite the "norm", probably if you compared them to the political spectrum they could be seen as fairly far to the right of centre. I certainly, do not expect many people to agree with them, but it is how I feel and as such I wanted to state it.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I've been thinking about Bryan's comment that some of us view Doris as our property and that we have to protect her.

There is indeed something within Doris that evokes deep loyalty and respect. Maybe that is closer to what I feel: I expect others, casual fans, writers, her peers in the industry, and former employees to acknowledge her talent and pay her the respect she deserves. So I am not in the camp of fans who may wish this book would go away and never happen. Not at all. I respect the author and consider his intentions to be above board and honest.

In regards to Doris' private life, I really have no interest in exploring that area. But if the book goes there, and I'm speaking purely for myself here, I learned a long time ago that everyone has flaws and makes mistakes. Forgiveness is a big part of happiness.

I just hope his book will go a long, long way toward asserting her rightful position at the top of the great film icons and singers.

Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Well said Michael, I agree 100%.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Artist Suzannah B. Troy writes on her web blog that Doris Day is an icon and her beauty, voice and incredible talent impacted American culture and that means the globe. It is easy to see many young actress and singers that are fashioning themslves after her!
I am a big "old school" New York Yankees fan so I can tell you there is a sizzling Mickey Mantle mention so run and buy the book...for fans, it will be a home run out of the ball park!

pebrogan

Vanity Fair

Unread post by pebrogan »

Excerpts from the upcoming biography are scheduled to appear in the May issue of Vanity Fair which goes on sale the first week of April.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Wow, Vanity Fair, well that exposure will certainly raise the awareness factor among the general public -- not to mention spiking sales in WeHo, PS, Key West and every other gay mecca in the US. This must be quite the little blockbuster to garner VF's attention. Can't wait.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Icon

Unread post by ray »

This is a class act book for a class act Lady! Doris is an Icon, straight or gay. She appeals to everyone!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Ray, come on, everyone knows that VF is one of the gayest high end mags out there and many gay men from WeHo to Rhode Island read it cover to cover. On one point we do agree: Doris has a loyal fan base that spans a wide demographic. But like all strong female icons, she also has her share of avid gay fans who worship the ground she walks on. And there's no reason (not anymore) to be on the down-low about it.

There's also no reason to get defensive about David's book. No one is attacking it, at least not based on the posts I've read here on the forum. I'm of the opinion that it will be a respectful and compelling book.

Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I never thought of Vanity Fair as a high end gay publication. I'm sure that's only a small part of it. It's widely read by the upper crust from New York to California to London, etc.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Right. And how many straight men do you know who subscribe to VF? I don't think it's up there with Golf Digest or Sports Illustrated.

My point was VF is read by a significant number of gay men who will no doubt buy the book after reading these excerpts. This is a win / win in my book.

Michael

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Didn't mean to seem defensive, the book will speak for itself. I am happy as you are that it is getting a top notch introduction with Vanity Fair. Doris appeals to everyone is all I meant.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thanks, Ray, sorry if I got a bit testy, I did not intend to. It is so nice that Doris continues to command attention and I hope the new book will help everyone regard her as one of the most talented and versatile perfomers ever.

Regards,

Michael H

daybyday08
Honorary Member

cover

Unread post by daybyday08 »

has anyone made or know any new covers for this new book i saw couple before on her and they where looking great!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Here's the cover for the book: Do you like it?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... wi&thumb=4

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Oh my gosh... I LOVE the cover... Doris looks absolutely beautiful... I'm really looking forward to this book being published!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Book

Unread post by webmaster »

That link leads to a blank page for me. :shock:

I prefered David's original title "But Not For Me".