DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Books and articles about Doris Day.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I'm with you, Bryan, the original title "But Not For Me" was more evocative and classy. But if the book is as good as I think it will be, the title won't mean much in the long run. I just wonder how the fans will react to this book. Should be quite interesting.

Michael

Glorious Day

Re: Icon

Unread post by Glorious Day »

ray wrote:.... a class act Lady! Doris is an Icon, straight or gay. She appeals to everyone!

Hi evryone,

I have not posted in a while but read your posts regularly. Its interesting how with each book some of us will eiher love it or leave it but something happened to me yesterday on the London underground that I thought you might like to hear.....

I was travelling on the underground and a girl in her early twenties got on. In her hand she had the Vanity Fair that features Doris.

She opened it and started looking at the pics. I too was leaning a bit over and looking at the pics again. She noticed me and smiled, that was all I needed. I started talking to her about Doris and she said that she loved watching Doris' films on Tv in Spain where she was from.

The two people opposite us joined in the conversation and they too knew of Doris and said how much they enjoyed her music. Then another couple who were from the states joined in and the mother said she used to watch Doris's movies as a girl with her parents in the cinema! Lucky girl is what I thought... The funny thing was an Indian lady to my left who was listening to us said that she had watched dubbed versions of Doris' movies, can you imagine Doris talking hindi!!!! that would be so cute...

Its so wonderful that so many people of different age and nationality know Doris and amazing and funny how she brings people together even in the underground!!!!

I like this artcile because it will re-light the interest and passion that the not so ardent fans had for her. Hopefully there will be a renewed interest and a revival of her material for all generations which will lead to highlighting her great work with the animals.

It will be a book, good or bad, that I can not wait to read.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Untold Story

Unread post by webmaster »

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

LuckyDay

Unread post by LuckyDay »

Another rendition of the great train wreck of 1938?

The promo says Doris got the demons. Didn't she do a song about that? Chasing the Demons Away? lol

I'll tell you what, after that last book that I couldn't even finish I realized that there is nothing like ones own interpretation of what someone is like. You can't learn that from reading a book.

Our friend and webmaster Bryan gave us that right here. She's fairly accessible to her fans as long as we don't bug her and ring her bell. She's a nice lady and a regular gal. What more do you need to know?

Besides she wouldn't have been able to articulate as well as she did on her birthday if she got the demons.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

It's so good to seeing a continuing interest in Ms Day. How does she keep her secrets for so long, dishing them out a little at a time?
No doubt her revival, and attendant benefits for the little animals, are aided by people who find, collate, filter (withhold and embellish) and publish information about her.

There is even interest in camera shots through the hedge! But actually too much personal info like this is pointless and detrimental to the cause. But on the other hand isn't too much militancy in stifling all free thinking regarding her life, an impediment to generating interest in her?

webmaster

Could it be?

Could it be that some people have what they consider to be a gold mine of information about Doris, and they want to keep it to themselves until they can take advantage?
That is so cynical, Gerald. Lots of people have had the pleasure of knowing her and maybe they want to share that with those of us who don't know her as well. Has that ever occured to you?

I think you must have deleted that comment, Gerald! I couldn't see it after I posted. Or maybe I'm hallucinating :shock:

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

You're right. I had already redacted myself. 8)

I like the new banner. Ar first I got the old one, but now I can see the new one. (using Mozilla Firefox)

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

I could open the photo's today on the VF site.

P

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Peter Flapper, what a nice picture. I guess you really don't look like Doris Day.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

that's what I was going to say.. I always thought of Peter, as looking like his Doris Day avatar..

nice picture!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Forgotten

You look much better without the fur, Peter. :)

webmaster

Book update

http://virginbooksusa.com/dorisday.htm

Only a few weeks to go!!

webmaster

Book update

For people with poor eyesight (like me) I found the text on the Barnes & Noble website:
David Kaufman has now written the long-awaited, definitive biography of Doris Day. By telling Day's incredible, previously untold story, Kaufman takes the reader to the epicenter of American popular culture— a roller-coaster saga, from the 1940s to the 1980s. While Day symbolized virtuous America to the rest of the world—especially in her heyday, the 1950s and early 1960s—both she and that era are still perceived as being far more innocent and carefree than they really were. Indeed, what makes Day's story so richly fascinating is the fact that she was in many ways the opposite of her image as “the girl next door.” She was also a real-life Cinderella who regretted having gone to the ball and who found a series of princes who proved far less than charming.

Thanks to Kaufman's dogged diligence in tracking down countless colleagues and intimates, he gives us:
Scintillating tales of fame, beauty, money, tragedy, sexual ambiguity, and sexual conquests.
(I can see certain forum members reaching for the smelling salts!)
Anecdotes about a vast array of major subsidiary players in Day's life, including Ronald Reagan, Frank Sinatra, Alfred Hitchcock, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Charles Manson, Mickey Mantle, Candice Bergen, and Rock Hudson.

Kaufman reveals Day's demons while emphasizing the extraordinary credit she deserves as an artist. In the tradition of great biographies, Kaufman's detailed work not only reveals the surprising story of one of America's most beloved icons, but also compels us to rush back and see her best films—including The Man Who Knew Too Much, Pillow Talk, Love Me or Leave Me—and to listen to her unforgettable songs—“Sentimental Journey,”“Secret Love,” “Que Sera, Sera.” Though she made more than 550 recordings and starred in 39 movies—not to mention her own TV show for five years—the epic story of Doris Day's life has never been told . . . until now.
Publishers Weekly:
Aside from her as-told-to autobiography with A.E. Hotchner in 1975, this is the first full-length biography devoted to Doris Mary Anne von Kappelhoff, who was rechristened Doris Day just before she began fronting for the Les Brown Band in 1940. Although Day was continually portrayed in magazines and onscreen as a contented wife and mother, Kaufman (Ridiculous!: The Theatrical Life and Times of Charles Ludlam)—who spent eight years interviewing more than 150 people to create this definitive biography—uncovers a tireless workaholic (from 1947 to 1968, she made 39 films and recorded more than 600 songs) with four failed marriages and a son (music producer Terry Melcher) who was "more of a brother or father-figure than a son to his mother." Kaufman also uncovers that she was born in 1922, making her two years older than reference works state. Mismanaged by her third husband (their 16-year marriage was "a business arrangement" by their fifth anniversary), her career (and legacy) was severely damaged by the last seven films she made over a three-year period. This is an eye-opening, fair-minded bio of a woman who brought a lot of joy to fans but has found very little herself. 32 pages of photos. (June)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Bring it on, I say! 8)

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

So have you pre ordered the book, Bryan?

webmaster

I have, yes, Debbie. Do choc-aholics buy chocolate? :lol:

And what about you?

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Nice avatar, Gerald. Is that you or Dick Van Patten?(don't have my glasses on).

Yes, Bryan, I have. I'm hoping DK did some good research on Doris and doesn't write a bunch of trash.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

FYI, I've just moved this to the BOOKS Forum. I've been meaning to do that for some time.

Still not crazy about the cover. Looks too coy and "virginal" to me. Can't see the average joe stopping at it to browse through the book.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

My opinion is the Picture on the cover jumps out at you and is eye catching. A mixture of 50's and 60's Day. Even a little sultry looking. Of course thats only my view. The average Joe may what to know what became of Doris Day the box office movie champ of all time!!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Let's face it, as Doris Day fans, we will probably will buy the book no matter what the cover looks like.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Right!

Unread post by ray »

You are right Debbie!!!LOL And new fans too!

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. I have vacillated, and might change it, but for now, I suppose it is okay. It is Mr. Van Patten from the Doris Day Show. I do slightly resemble Mr Patten, I suppose, but he is much older than I am.

I am hoping all this outside publicity for Doris will expand her fan base, although she probably is remotely concerned about that. I am sure she appreciates her fans, though, however many there might be. In addition, new fans get to discover or rediscover her films and recordings.

A friend had lost track of Doris Day and did not have a clue about what happened to her. She began to wonder why Doris had disappeared after making all those cute movies. She supposed, like Shirley Temple, Doris had married someone rich and Hollywoodlike, and had retired to a quiet life in Bel Air. This friend heard about her on the Man Show, I believe, and they were saying she dated at least 75 different men - maybe many more (they had a long list). In at least one case, it turned out that she never dated him, but he did try to cause her divorce! In addition they said she had at least 1000 men in LA that were interested in her. So I believe many people have this latent curiosity about her. Hey, whatever happened to Doris Day?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Show???

Unread post by ray »

What is The Man Show????

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

wow.. I really wish I could go to the book signing.. but my mom says we have to save our money for Disney World this year... you all will have to tell me how it was..

oh... and I got a signed picture of James Garner in the mail a couple of days ago.. isn't that cool???

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Lets not judge a book by its cover! We will wait for the contents. Doris liked wearing wigs, part ot the image and facade. Underneath is a home town girl with no make up and a page boy hairdo!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

totally Ray... my great grandmother and my grandma's all wore wigs... I don't think they have a single family picture where they aren't wearing wigs.. they don't even wear the same wigs.. they'll have blonde in one picture, and red hair in another...

Now-a-days people just flat iron..

I guess back in the 40's-70's everyone wanted curly hair.. now everyone wants strait hair... I guess things change a lot over time