DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Books and articles about Doris Day.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Unread post by webmaster »

This seems so long ago now - I was just updating my avatar (how do you like the new smooth seductive me?) :)

I heard - that's as far as I'll go - that David Kaufman has been upset by some of the fan's criticism of his book. My impression is that the majority of people here liked it? Mostly from the people who have read it. Or have I got the wrong impression?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I read it [am sort of re-reading it [in parts] again too] and thoroughly enjoyed it and for the most part it is pro-Doris [her talent] and the person. However, what I was annoyed about are certain random psycho-babble comments from Mr Kauffman that really he could not [nor should not] profess to know - such as the comment about Doris never having had an intimate conversation etc - don't recall if this was said in the book or in an interview - but such comments are way off [for me]!

Bryan- love the new look!

webmaster

Thanks Jas!

I've had this conversation with David K - he took my point but said that what he was referring to was how hard it has been for Doris to confront anyone with anything unpleasant. I said I thought that was different from saying she wasn't able to be intimate but I accept that is what he meant.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Bryan, I'm always picking up DK's book and referring to it for one thing or another -- be it a movie, a song, a quote... And yes, I was one who enjoyed the book immensely. There were a few things I may have taken exception with -- but I looked beyond and still came away with something "good". I would think that for most people, having to confront another person with something critical or unpleasant would be difficult. Doris is just a non-confrontational person -- that is possibly a very good quality to possess. Although, sometimes facing a situation head on could clear-up misunderstandings and avoid further unpleasantries. But sometimes it may be easier to just walk alway from a situation than to confront it. Perhaps that is what Doris has done in some instances. My thoughts.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I just recently purchased the kaufman book, and I liked it for the most part. I usually read something a couple of times before I make a comment on it, so this one needs another go through . For the first run through , I liked the book very much. Dont think I would ever be able to agree with anyone 100% on any subject as we all have our own mind set on things lol. Mr. Kaufmans book was very large and interesting,some things id never heard before, you know like martys name actually being matthew, I was surprised by that. Mr. K seems to have put a great deal of hard work into this book. ( to be honest with you ,as much as I love doris , I couldnt devote that much time to any subject or book .) By the way , Bryan new avatar, very dashing . :wink:
suzie

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

For so much research [and there certainly was, particularly the film years]- some areas were completely lacking in detail and I found this a tad annoying; such as the return to Hollywood for Golden Globes in 1989. Surely he could have come up with more on this milestone event.

rt

Unread post by rt »

I didn't think that the book was particularly well written. It quoted many articles printed in old magazines. Are these articles reliable sources of information? I thought that there would be interviews of people who had worked closely with Ms Day. Also,the arm chair psychology put me off. I was disappointed in this book as I had expected more - all the hype about eight years work.

I've only read two other books about Ms Day. "Her own story"- a good read and "Day at a time......" - I wouldn't recommend.

Rum

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Putting aside the armchair psychology and unsupported stories he dwelt on too frequently, one major fault that disappointed me was that he seemed to neglect her musical career. He hardly ever dealt with her talent and successes in that arena, which is such a major part of her success.

I was glad to see "The Washington Post" point this out in their review:
For all its details, the biography scants a major aspect of Day's career, her singing. Kaufman lauds her vocals as "extraordinary" but describes her full shelf of recordings only in passing. In an appraisal of Day's career far more judicious than Kaufman's, author Tom Santopietro ranks Day's singing with Frank Sinatra's. Does she deserve a niche in the pantheon of American pop singers? Kaufman doesn't explore this most pertinent question.
You can read the entire review here. I think it's pretty dead-on...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03197.html
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Well, I don't know if it was meant to cover everything and I thought "Considering Doris" kind of wrapped that up. With any 'life story' you can say it should have more or less of whatever - a bit like a meal - more potatoes, less salad! But that is the book he wrote. I'll have to read it again but what stands out in my mind is the insights into Doris's film career: how it happened, the people involved, the deals, how she was exploited but came out of it without bitterness - and moved on.

The main other thing was the (lifelong) relationship with the fans and the fan-employees, which at times seemed pretty disturbing and disfunctional. I was thinking it would make a good film in itself - a cross between Lauren Bacall in "The Fan", and "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" - with a touch of "Sunset Boulevard " thrown in. :) I'd set it in an English country mansion and have Julie Christie play the 'former star' - Kathy Bates would obviously have to be one of the 'helpers'!

I don't agree with rt that it wasn't well written.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Sounds like a good movie bryan. I think it was doris who said that everyones life would make a great book, well that goes for movies as well id say. I just recently bought " considering doris " and havnt read it yet, plan to real soon. Looks pretty interesting. :wink:
suzie

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

I did buy the kaufman book,I liked it .Being a huge fan of doris day music , I thought the author could have went into her musical life a little more. I have never heard anyone who sang more lovely than miss doris day. :wink: BILL

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I agree I thought he could have gone alot more into her music then he did. :?
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique