DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Books and articles about Doris Day.
howard
Special Contributer

DORIS DAY The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door

Unread post by howard »

The release date of the forthcoming biography has been announced. Check out the following web address:

http://dorisdaytribute.com/news-thedavi ... graphy.htm

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great to read Howard, thanks for posting.

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Thanks for the info Howard. I have some trepidations about this book. I'm sure it's well written and researched, i'm just worried that it will delve in Doris' private affairs. I wish somebody would write a grat book that would stick to her show biz career and show just how great and influential she was. Maybe that is yet to come. Or, D. Kaufman will surprise us and this just might be that book.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Velda, Velda. You don't understand. Without talking about her "sexual ambiguity" and "sexual conquests" there can be no appreciation of Doris as an artist. She is only great if you understand her personal sex life. :wink: :roll:

Seriously, I'm with you. WHY this obsession with her personal life? Focus on what she's given us in terms of her work and art. That's ALL we have a right to anyway, in all truthfulness.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

I was slow to answer John, but, I see that in the meantime I got my real name back. I was going to say that you must have been watching a lot of 'Chicago'.
As for your comments. you're spot on. I'm sure we'll all be discussing this book in the near future.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Funny you should say that Velda. Instead of "Chicago" I've been watching a lot of "Sweeney Todd" and "Hairspray." I'm kind of in the mood for "Chicago" again now. I'm so glad to see the movie musical coming back.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

A lot of great photos all over this site, but if the cover photo for Kaufman's book is the one that's shown (in Howard's post above) it's an even more untypical "look" than the one on Santopietro's book jacket last year..

lloyd

Unread post by lloyd »

I'm with you Dave. I was disappointed with the cover photo too. There are so many other photos that would make a better covers. And Velda, I'm in total agreement with you also. I'm worried that this book will invade D's private life -- I hope I'm wrong. My dream is for someone to publish a 1,000 page oversize coffee table book, filled with thousands and thousands of photos, as well as all the facts of D's career -- sort of a DD Encyclopedia! It's probably a pipe dream, but a nice one. And a good dream on a cold night like tonight is a GOOD thing! Cheers everyone, let's hope spring is on the way soon!

ddfan55

DORIS DAY The untold story of the girl next door

Unread post by ddfan55 »

I agree Lloyd that a book like that would be great. But I don't agree with you about the weather. When you go into spring we go into autumn and am not looking forward to it. At the moment it is about 32c (about 90f where you come from) and just great beach weather.

Lyn :D

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Cover Photo

Unread post by ray »

Lets not be so derogatory, that cover photo is kind of retro and a little seen photo. I think it is very nice. Don't judge a book by its cover as the old saying goes. David may surprise everyone and come up with a blockbuster book!! Doris is not confined to just the walls of forums and this book will hopefully make people remember her great talent that she gave us despite a turbulent life, thats a feat in itself!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I agree with you, Ray. I like the cover alot. It's seductive, playful and not at all the type of shot most people would expect. Doris looks beautiful, and the color pops right out, which is important. When it sits on book shelves in the stores it will stand out from the rest, and hopefully promote sales.

lloyd

Unread post by lloyd »

Ray and Howard:
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps......
The cover is okay, it just wouldn't be my first choice. But this just goes to show that even amongst us Dayniacs, we don't agree on everything. However, the important things we always seem to agree on (thankfully).
I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that David's book will be a wonderful tribute to the lady we all love.

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

Ray, I don't think LLoyd was being critical. He was just expressing his opinion. I this the picture is AWFUL. I thought it was the first I saw it in a book titled, "Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance." I won't share my exact words when I first saw it because not all the people on the forum know of my twisted sense of humor.

Howard, I hope you're doing well. It has been ages sinced we've talked! I lost my cell phone about seven months ago. I didn't have your number wriitten down...it was programmed in my cell. Send me a PM with your number so we can catch up.

Anyway, please don't think less of me because I loathe that picture...it's just my humble opinion. Hugs to everybody!!
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I'm more in Ray and Howard's camp on the cover: it's a nice glamour shot from "Move Over, Darling" and it does her justice.

But I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, the optimistic one, I am hopeful it will sway casual fans and the younger generation to appreciate her remarkable gifts as a singer, actress, entertainer. But I worry about the personal aspects of the content and fear it will be emphasized just to spur sales.

The bottom line for me is that nothing he writes will diminish the joy Doris has given through her performances.

And does anyone else find it ironic that the publisher is Virgin books?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

This is the Amazon Book Description for those of you who didn't get that far:
"David Kaufman has now written the long-awaited, definitive biography of Doris Day. By telling Day's incredible, previously untold story, Kaufman takes the reader to the epicenter of American popular culture- a roller-coaster saga, from the 1940s to the 1980s. While Day symbolized virtuous America to the rest of the world-especially in her heyday, the 1950s and early 1960s-both she and that era are still perceived as being far more innocent and carefree than they really were. Indeed, what makes Day's story so richly fascinating is the fact that she was in many ways the opposite of her image as 'the girl next door.' She was also a real-life Cinderella who regretted having gone to the ball and who found a series of princes who proved far less than charming.

Thanks to Kaufman's dogged diligence in tracking down countless colleagues and intimates, he gives us: Scintillating tales of fame, beauty, money, tragedy, sexual ambiguity, and sexual conquests. Anecdotes about a vast array of major subsidiary players in Day's life, including Ronald Reagan, Frank Sinatra, Alfred Hitchcock, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Charles Manson, Mickey Mantle, Candice Bergen, and Rock Hudson. Kaufman reveals Day's demons while emphasizing the extraordinary credit she deserves as an artist.

In the tradition of great biographies, Kaufman's detailed work not only reveals the surprising story of one of America's most beloved icons, but also compels us to rush back and see her best films-including The Man Who Knew Too Much, Pillow Talk, Love Me or Leave Me-and to listen to her unforgettable songs-'Sentimental Journey,' 'Secret Love,' 'Que Sera, Sera.' Though she made more than 550 recordings and starred in 39 movies-not to mention her own TV show for five years-the epic story of Doris Day's life has never been told . . . until now."
I'm really looking forward to this book. Yes, there will be a few surprises, it would be 'surprising' if there weren't. David has spent more than two years on it and is a serious writer with no axe to grind. I can understand why some of you might be fearful of what it contains but when I met him he was very excited about having obtained all the Warner Bros files on the making of the films she made there. I was given a little peep at the memos and notes about the making of "Young at Heart" and the demanding Mr Frank Sinatra. So I think it is going to be full of material that the average fan will be enthralled by and a lot of factual information not revealed until now.

As for the personal stuff, we'll have to wait and see. I don't think it will be harmful to Doris - particularly as one of his stated comments is that he believes she is one of the most underrated stars of the 20th Century - and he that he is also a great admirer of her - hence the book.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Brian, you're right on so far as David's intentions are concerned, however, he devoted a lot more time than two years to the project. I spoke to him this evening to clear things up, and here is his direct quote:

"I've devoted the last four years of my life to this book. I actually began working on it even several years before that. This is also a labor of love from many of the people who I view as collaborators, including you, Howard."

That's it, Brian ... just wanted to set the record straight.

ray
I danced with Doris!

David's Book

Unread post by ray »

David has always be so nice in returning calls and e mails and I respect him as a person and writer. He has worked hard and long on this book.

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

As Doris Day fans we know that Doris is often under appreciated or ignored by the media and authors. So, when a book comes out that takes her seriously ,and a lot of research is involved, we tend to get enthusiastic.
Some of you know David Kaufman and know the work that went into writing this book. I'm sure the book will get noticed and get Doris all kinds of attention. I'm intrigued about what he has to say about the Warner studios, Doris and her costars. At the same time I have my reservations about the book. WTH is "ambiguous sexuality" supposed to mean? This might just be teaser previews, but this worries me and other DD fans.
Maybe David is misquoted, but, if he is not ,and a lot of personal stuff comes out, we'll have another controversial book on our hands, with fans at each other's throats. Hopefully, this will not happen.
Otherwise ,we'll let wise Bryan keep peace and order.

webmaster

David'd book

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Velda! 8) I'll certainly try.

My position is that I support this book without having read it because it is a legitimate piece of work from a respected author, whom I've met and have confidence in. Rather in the same way that some people decided the opposite with MAB's book.

I think we have to stop comparing this book to MAB's - it's a completely different kettle of fish. This is a serious study of a great performer that, as Howard points out, has taken many years and has the confidence and contributions of many of the people closest to her.

It's not going to be a whitewash or a rehash of known information. I don't think we should get too hung up on terms like sexual ambivalence' - isn't sexuality by nature somewhat 'ambivalent' anyway and simply constrained by social mores? I personally don't have a problem with that.

There are things I could say that might reassure people but I'm not at liberty to do so. All I would say is don't make assumptions about what Doris may or not feel about books about her and what they reveal.

We are all on the same side here in our love and regard for her but she is not our property. She is a world figure and to that extent 'public property'. It goes with the territory, fair or unfair but I believe this book will be fair and balanced and a great tribute to a great actress and singer.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

doris next biography

Unread post by Doris Martin »

:) Bryan I wish I could express my feelings like you do... Thankyou for doing for me..... Marti.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Thanks Bryan. That's very reassuring. I was worried by the same phrase that Velda mentioned. It's good to know this book won't deal with deeply personal things or make "revelations" that are not a third party's place to do.

As you just said, I've frequently thought that, compared to how some seem to view her, Doris is not our "property." It's great to know DK is not treating her that way and putting info in the book that only Doris has a right to reveal, under the guise of her being public "property." It's nice to know he gets it! How refreshing! 8)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Well said Bryan.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book Signing

Unread post by ray »

We should plan a trip tp New York when the book is published. Would be a good way to get together for a booksigning event and meet the Author!

webmaster

Girl next door

It's good to know this book won't deal with deeply personal things or make "revelations" that are not a third party's place to do.

Emmm.. I didn't actually say that, John! I don't know what is in the book - apart from a few pointers I've mentioned.
You've substituted 'biographer' for 'third party', which is interesting! I've just looked up the meaning of 'biographer', which is defined simply as "someone who writes an account of another person's life". And came across the word 'hagiographer', - the author of a worshipful or idealizing biography, which probably most of us here would write.

I noticed that "Considering Doris Day" has been criticised for falling into that category in several reviews. "A new book purports to take a revisionist look at Doris Day...but reads more like an unapologetic fan letter" and "This may be the only book on a major star I've ever come across that's almost entirely devoid of research." - http://classicfilms.suite101.com/articl ... _doris_day

I've read a number of reviews like that, calling it a missed opportunity and I tend to agree. You don't know Doris any better having read it. And to quote John Updike, "I'm always looking for insights into the real Doris Day because I'm stuck with this infatuation and need to explain it to myself." I think David's book will go some way towards doing that!

Hey, Ray, that sounds a good idea! Hope some of you manage to do that.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Re: Girl next door

Unread post by miss maxwell »

bryan wrote:And came across the word 'hagiographer', - the author of a worshipful or idealizing biography, which probably most of us here would write.
This is funny - and intereting. I didn't know the word existed in the english vocabulary. Hagiography derives from the greek (h)agios (=saint) + grapho (write) and as you said means worshipful biography but also, literally is the study of or painting of saints from the christian religion (such as this - click).

Back to the books, I'm considering getting The Untold Story together with Her own story, which will be my very first Doris read - I want to read hers first on purpose, then try another or two.