Book Reviews

Books and articles about Doris Day.
pebrogan

Book Reviews

Unread post by pebrogan »

The new issue of Publisher's Weekly has a capsulized review of David Kaufman's new book. Here it is in its entirety:

Doris Day: The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door
David Kaufman. Virgin (Holtzbrinck, dist.), $29.95 (592p) ISBN 978-1-905264-30-8

Aside from her as-told-to autobiography with A.E. Hotchner in 1975, this is the first full-length biography devoted to Doris Mary Anne von Kappelhoff, who was rechristened Doris Day just before she began fronting for the Les Brown Band in 1940. Although Day was continually portrayed in magazines and onscreen as a contented wife and mother, Kaufman (Ridiculous!: The Theatrical Life and Times of Charles Ludlam)—who spent eight years interviewing more than 150 people to create this definitive biography—uncovers a tireless workaholic (from 1947 to 1968, she made 39 films and recorded more than 600 songs) with four failed marriages and a son (music producer Terry Melcher) who was “more of a brother or father-figure than a son to his mother.” Kaufman also uncovers that she was born in 1922, making her two years older than reference works state. Mismanaged by her third husband (their 16-year marriage was “a business arrangement” by their fifth anniversary), her career (and legacy) was severely damaged by the last seven films she made over a three-year period. This is an eye-opening, fair-minded bio of a woman who brought a lot of joy to fans but has found very little herself. 32 pages of photos. (June)

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

review

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I like the review im so excited to actually read the book for myself.
I have learned so much information already just by reviews and the vf. This review i thought was alittle depressing in some of the things it said but i have a feeling this book is going to be one we won't be able to put down well lets hope it is.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Review

Unread post by ray »

Paul your posts are always top notch and so informative much like our dear Ralph's were. Ralph was looking forward to meeting you at the forum get together in New York in 2004. He thought the world of you. Was there a photo with this book review?

webmaster

The Book

Unread post by webmaster »

Hey, my book has arrived! It looks fab! A great many unseen photos, - including ones of Doris with Howard and Paul. I've been asked not to review it until it is officially published so I will obviously abide by that.

Here are a couple of reviews from the back page:

"A mega-star deserves a mega-biography, and David Kaufman's book tells you virtually everything you'd ever want to know about the incomparable Doris Day."
- Justin Kaplan, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning biography Mr Clements and Mark Twain

"From the sunshine in her voice to the rainfall in her tears, Doris Day's career was pure Technicolor, but her life was a daunting black and white. Meticulously researched and sensitively written, David Kaufman's sentimental journey is the definitive last word on the subject. It reveals the close-ups, the shadows, and the intermissions - freckles and all - with every color of a remarkable rainbow. Far from the usual cotton-candy movie star biography, it will leave her millions of fans both shocked and enchanted. To quote one of the lady's most famous songs, 'It's Magic!'"
- Rex Reed

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Bryan how lucky you are to have the book!!! I bet you are mentioned in it!! And a picture of Paul and Howard will be great to see!!! Rex Reed and Kaye Ballard along with David will be on a CBS show about the book when it is published I heard. Check out the 1987 DD Convention in the book, many of us forum members might be mentioned also.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Also heard that Larry King declined doing a segment about the book. He might be sorry later,

webmaster

Book

Where did you read that, Ray?

Maybe people feel like emailing him to ask if he'd consider changing his mind? :wink:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

Although the downside to these kind of shows is that they tend to go for the 'sensational' - although Larry King seems more 'old school' from the little I've seen of him and could probably handle it well.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Howard and Doris

Unread post by ray »

I was at the 1987 DD Convention when Howard had his picture taken with Doris, my avator is from that day.I always told Howard he looked like oneof Doris's co-stars in the picture. A handome couple!!! :D

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan,

Enjoy your book.

P

webmaster

Book Review

Thanks Peter - you shouldn't have long to wait.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

About Larry King: He's a very big DD fan. I once heard him say (on the radio) that Doris was tops on his list of those he'd like to have on his show. Also, I read in an early newspaper column of his that he can't hear DD singing on the radio and just pass it by. That's how much he loves her singing voice. I'm sure the reason he passed was becasue he'd like to have Doris on the show, not an author who isn't an internationally known name.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Starting to wonder if Doris herself is behind the book with her friends such as Paul, Kaye Ballard and Rex Reed all backing it. Others are getting five minutes of fame on Doris's coat tails!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I ordered my copy today, really look forward to it. Yes, you are very lucky Mr James!

Ant

Book Reviews

Unread post by Ant »

I don't mean to spark a controversy, but I don't think we should start speculating whether Doris is in support of DK's book just by virtue of her friend's and former co-star's involvement in the book.

I think if Doris was in support of this venture, she would have had direct contact with the author. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've ascertained, this was not the case. For this reason, I respectfully draw a different conclusion from the one that speculates that Doris is in support of yet another book which delves into her life.

With the media trolling this and other forums, I could see how a speculative remark could be misconstrued and deemed as fact...

We must not speculate!

Antonette

webmaster

Book

I think it is established that Doris had nothing to do with the book. Doris doesn't do 'books' anymore - or even interviews, as far as I know. Ray is just letting his imagination run away with him. Don't forget he danced with Doris (and hasn't been the same since).

And what was that about 'getting five minutes of fame on Doris's coat tails!', Ray? :wink:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Drama

Unread post by ray »

Just adding a little drama to the forum!!!! I had my five minutes of fame with that Dance with Doris. And Bryan have you read the Conevention chapter yet? Get to it boy!! You are lucky to have a copy of the book!!!! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Coat tails

Unread post by ray »

I am proud to be on Doris's coat tails and anyone would!!! I was just being playfull!!! Lets not be so serious!!! With the recession and all...lets have a laugh!!!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Dance

Unread post by ray »

I am a little miffed my dance was edited out of the manuscript of the book. It was a good story of an average person getting so close to a Superstar!!

webmaster

Book Review

Ray, I'll swap you the book for a dance with Doris any Day! (No disrespect to David Kaufman!)

You held the woman in your arms - who do you think you are, Rock Hudson? And while I'm on your coat tails, what did you say to her? Was it "Hi, I'm Ray from Rhode Island - do you come here often?"

You can see I'm jealous! Seriously what did you say to one another?

(The book is all about the convention, nothing else is mentioned.)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Dance

Unread post by ray »

Did they mention who attended the Convention? I didn't say anyhing to Doris, I think she wanted to enjoy the dance and Les Brown's music. It was a short waltz but will always be with me. My one moment in time!! Kit Swanson and I cut in while Doris was dancing with the owner of the Quail Lodge. He told me after I was a good man to do that.

webmaster

Dancing with Doris

I didn't say anyhing to Doris, I think she wanted to enjoy the dance and Les Brown's music.
That makes sense - go with the flow. But do you remember how she felt? What perfume she was wearing? Did she look you in the eye and smile at you? Did you tread on her toes? You must have said something at the end? Am I better than Gene Nelson? Thank you, Doris? You were probably so excited you can't remember. I think I'd be like that.

webmaster

Just to get you off my back, you are mentioned in the index as:

Lyons, Ray, (pages) 520, 533-534.

I still haven't read it, I'm waiting for our bank holiday weekend.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Thanks

Unread post by ray »

Thanks for the info, I feel better:) We just applauded after the dance and smiled. I was in Heaven and so calm, interestly enough!! A real Day dream come true!!! Earlier in the night I had said to her that we will dance and hit her gently on the arm.

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Congrats Ray! :D You have been such a loyal, loving, and most supportive fan of Doris, you deserve being mentioned in David's book.

My Best,

Pam~Image

webmaster

Book Review

That's such a sweet cartoon!
That will be Ray looking for the bits about the Doris Day Convention, when he gets the book! :)