Book Reviews

Books and articles about Doris Day.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Good to hear you are a lot better Bryan. Look forward to the review and glad you enjoyed the book.

Diane, I'm with you - Doris looks fab in the footage, especially in the wonderfully stylish long jersey coat esemble from the Best Friends show. Thanks for posting, it is always a thrill for me to see something like this that I hadn't seen before. Perhaps one of Miss Day's most stylish looks from the Best Friends shows.

IndyDorisFan

Doris's age

Unread post by IndyDorisFan »

I have read part of DK's book and find him to be a very evenhanded writer who doesn't overdramatize and who has obviously done meticulous fact-checking and interviewing. I don't feel what I have read so far is "shocking" but I'm sure other fans will disagree. There are lots of nice photos. I'd definitely recommend this book!

Rita
Last edited by visitor on 30 Jul 2008, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal information removed

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Book

Unread post by ray »

Whew! Glad you liked the book Bryan. David is a smart nice man who adores Doris and I knew the book would be great. Doris is the only person that has made me totally happy on and off the screen. Of course if we lived together that might ruin it!LOL
Our dear Lauren from the forum is in a picture in the book. She worked tirelessly covering the 2007 birthday radio bash for the forum.
We are all human and make mistakes but at the end of the day we all love Doris. Doris is quick to forgive, she stated that in HER book. So we can all learn a lesson from that. Que Sera...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

How right you are Ray.

John M
Honorary Member

Re: Book

Unread post by John M »

ray wrote:We are all human and make mistakes but at the end of the day we all love Doris. Doris is quick to forgive, she stated that in HER book. So we can all learn a lesson from that. Que Sera...
Ray, I'm sure we all forgive David Kaufman for his mistakes. :lol: :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Travelling for a few weeks sure got me out of the loop with all the Forum discussions, which, I can see, are quite lively. Now I understand your wacky sense of humour, Bryan. You are a fellow Aquarian.
I strongly believe in donating to DDAF or DDAL ,and regularly, but, it should not be related to buying or not of D. K.`s book. It smacks of guilt donation to me. Like doing penance. That`s my opinion and I hope I,m not offending anyone.
Velda

ray
I danced with Doris!

Donation

Unread post by ray »

Velda you are right! The more I think of it I never tell if and when I give to a charity and I am not going to start now. Thats tacky.

webmaster

Book Review

Unread post by webmaster »

As much as I respect the views of those who want to donate to DDAL, I tend to agree with Velda, it does sound a bit like a way of justifying the reading of a book that perhaps some people feel guilty about doing.

I struggled with the same thing and there are some very personal things in there that I'm still thinking about some days after I've read it. While there are many untold stories of Doris' warmth and generosity towards others and so much that confirms the regard and admiration people have for her, you also catch a glimpse of 'the star' and the insecurities that caused her to not always live up to her own ideals. To me that makes her more interesting and human but some people may not want to read about those things or want to accept her as less than perfect.

Maybe that is the one 'shocking' thing about the book - Doris Day is not perfect. Can you cope with that?

I was reading an article in the paper on Sunday called "I'll never forgive Mommie" - an interview with Christina Crawford* who is about to reissue her book about her mother Joan 'with new material'. Reading the interview I came across the following, talking about Joan; "She married four times and had a string of affairs with both men and women, including a one-night stand with Marilyn Monroe." I almost fell off my chair! Now, that was a shock!

But I can assure you there in nothing in like that in "The Untold Story" - but because of Doris' 'image' people were shocked to see her even smoke a very occasional cigarette in the years after Marty died. As I said earlier I thought any 'revelations' would probably seem tame compared to other celebrities and I think this is true. She emerges as the wonderful woman we know her to be and I think one of the strongest impressions, some days later, is not how she sometimes may have behaved less than perfect but how much she was taken advantage of from the very beginning and why, as she said "If so many people love me, why am I on my own?"

*Joan Crawford article:
http://tinyurl.com/5nzdgp

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Cool, Bryan. I will, of course, be reading the book to make up my own mind.

However, at the risk of being "argumentative," in my case, and I know many others here who have said this to me, it's not a case of not accepting Doris as less than perfect. It's a case of why are we ENTITLED to know certain elements of her private life? Even a celebrity is entitled to privacy. "Can you handle that?" :wink: :)

BTW, does he provide definitive proof on the birth year issue? Copy of her birth certificate, etc.?

webmaster

Book Review

Yes, I take your point, John and I did think of adding that some people might legitimately argue that in their view it is still an 'invasion of privacy'. I have no problem with that and had to consider it myself.

There is no easy answer and you can argue the point either way, it's up to everyone to make their own decision. However, that is the real world and books are written about celebrities. You could say that Doris 'invited it' by publishing 'Her Own Story' and telling the world she wanted people to know that she had had a terrible life that was far removed from her girl-next-door image, which is essentially what the book confirms. Can you therefore complain if someone writes a well-researched book about you? Not that she has complained - I'm just trying to look at it objectively. But I think that it is a legitimate position to take, I respect it and people who feel that way will obviously not read the book.

As far as your question goes - you'll have to read it to find out! :wink:

KarenSev

Unread post by KarenSev »

I have to totally disagree with you here Bryan. Just because Doris wrote her own story, it does not mean that she has opened the door to other people writing about her and making their own window into what she does behind her bedroom door. These are things we have no right to know unless she wants to share that with the world.
I am sure you would not the same done to your own life. We all have this right to privacy, so why should she be any different?
There are several easy answers in regards to crossing the line of privacy here and just because Doris is a celebrity, a retired one at that, does not mean it is okay to violate that.
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

IndyDorisFan

In the public eye

[quote="KarenSev"]I am sure you would not the same done to your own life. We all have this right to privacy, so why should she be any different?
quote]

Because she is a celebrity and Bryan isn't (right, Bryan?) People in the public eye are fair game, whether the fans like it or not. It is naive to think otherwise. Doris DOES have her privacy .... she's living life exactly as she wants to, and apparently all these books don't bother her, according to those close to her. They seems to bother some of the fans more, who are fiercely guarding the privacy that Doris already has. Who cares what happened decades ago? What's important is what she is doing with her life now, and that's working with animals. If it's good enough for her, it should be good enough for the fans.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I couldn't agree more IndyDorisFan!

Oh, and Bryan; never since your Wild Bill days have you looked so good, like it!

webmaster

Book Review

All celebrities or their agents use the media - Princess Diana being the extreme example of someone who both used the media and was used by it in return. It just goes with the turf. The whole issue of the press and press reporting is a big feature in the book. It's a two-edged sword, swimming with sharks, sleeping with the enemy, etc

And yes, Indy, I don't think anyone would pay good money to read about my bedroom activity, unless they wanted to drop off to sleep quickly - and I never ever cover myself from head to toe with Vaseline. :shock:

But as you say, it was all a long time ago.....

Jas, I'm getting into journalistic mode - I was never a real 'mother' anyway - although some might disagree! :wink:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Bryan, that is a very fair point about Doris writing her own book to prove the public image of her life was far from reality. But the argument could be made then that she made her point. Unless people believe she was lying, why is it necessary for anyone else to come along to verify it?

Rita, you also have a fair point about celebrities and it going with the territory. But that does not make it right. And as you said, "who cares what happened decades ago." But, then, why is it being written about?

You also said what's important is now, and if it's good enough for Doris it should be good enough for the fans. I totally agree. It's Doris' life and work now that's important. So why is the past being dredged up so much lately? Those two beliefs seem antithetical.

And, I figured you'd make me wait on my question, Bryan! :lol:

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Bryan, I'm going to miss Mother Teresa, I was getting in the habit of seeing her.. :lol:

I found out yesterday from a very reliable source that in addition to television promotion, radio promotion and the book signings in LA and NY, David Kaufman's book will be promoted by targeting Doris Day web sites from June. As Stephen Munns has chosen not to support the book, it seems that it will be this web site that will be targeted.

I wonder how people feel about their comments whether positive or negative being used to make the author a bit of money? I thought we visited this web site to enjoy Doris Day and her enduring talent, not to contribute to the sales of a book.

webmaster

Book Review

"Why is it necessary for anyone else to come along to verify it?"

It's not 'verifying it', John, it's telling the whole story, as far as possible - as Liz Smith said "Day wrote her own story, but one never tells all." I think once you've read the book you'll probably have as many questions but they won't be around 'What was the need to write this book?' because you'll find, I hope, that is a serious study of a great performer that goes right back to her great grandparents in Germany and takes you up to the present day - more than 100 years of the 'Kapplehoff Klan'. The little bits of titillation in the media is really NOT what the story is about.

Anyway, I think I've said enough for now so I'll give other people a chance.

IndyDorisFan

[quote="John M"]Bryan, that is a very fair point about Doris writing her own book to prove the public image of her life was far from reality. But the argument could be made then that she made her point. Unless people believe she was lying, why is it necessary for anyone else to come along to verify it?

Rita, you also have a fair point about celebrities and it going with the territory. But that does not make it right. And as you said, "who cares what happened decades ago." But, then, why is it being written about?

You also said what's important is now, and if it's good enough for Doris it should be good enough for the fans. I totally agree. It's Doris' life and work now that's important. So why is the past being dredged up so much lately? Those two beliefs seem antithetical.[/quote]

John,
What's right and not right in, say, a fan's eyes, are 2 different things when dealing with a public personality. Being an author is a vocation like any other, whether it's to make money or just satisfy a creative urge. People write about Doris because they CAN, and they feel they have something different to offer about her life and career. DK is a fan so his book leans toward affection -- not sure about D. Brett, he probably has other reasons to write about her.

The thing is, we are Doris fans so we scrutinize everything with an emotional investment. I don't think any of the people in this forum would go to, for example, a Frank Sinatra forum and ask why there are so many books about him and do they invade his privacy, etc. Doris is a public figure with a long, successful career and is an animal advocate with a foundation -- there's plenty to write about. I'm sure DK talked to different people than the other authors to get his story. And he has a right to make money from writing books, it's that simple. What a joy it must have been for him to write a book on someone he admires!

So, if you take the emotions out of this issue, there would be no issue at all. Privacy is something stars give up once they become famous -- and they KNOW that. I'm sure Doris is neither surprised nor dismayed at this attention. People need to quit trying to "protect" someone who doesn't need protecting. It would be a whole different story if these authors were printing something libelous or untrue ..... I don't think that's the case with the DD books that have come out so far. It'll be interesting to see what D. Brett comes up with.
Rita

KarenSev

Unread post by KarenSev »

"So, if you take the emotions out of this issue, there would be no issue at all. Privacy is something stars give up once they become famous -- and they KNOW that. I'm sure Doris is neither surprised nor dismayed at this attention. People need to quit trying to "protect" someone who doesn't need protecting."

Excuse me here, but as a fan and a friend, I do get emtionally invested in Ms. Day, so for me, there is an issue. Whether the media thinks it is appropriate to disect the woman I admire is one thing...there is not much anyone can do about that. However, this forum is to celebrate her career and what she has done to make her mark in the entertainment industry.
Each telling how and why she became special to us in our own way. It makes no difference whether some people feel Doris' life should be an open book, what does make a difference is how her fans feel about her privacy being respected. In that regard, I would hope all would be agreed about that, but it is obvious that we are not all in agreement on this issue.
I do not expect everyone on the forum to see things my way, because we all have a right to our opinion. However, if I feel I want to protect Ms. Day till the cows come home, then that is my right to do that. I would do such for any close friend of mine, because I care about them and their well being. Ms. Day has made an imprint in my life that has gotten me through some rough roads, and she continues to amaze me with her kindness and her devotion to fans and friends. In that respect, she deserves the same from her fans.
I will read Mr. Kaufman's book and make my own judgement, just as I have done with previous books. If indeed there is nothing that compromises Ms. Day's privacy, then I will support it. However, if there is, then of course we have a different situation and I will voice that opinion.
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

webmaster

Book Review

But Karen dear, none of us has a clue about what Doris really thinks about anything, so I don't completely understand why you feel you have to be 'protective'?

Back in the distant past Stephen Munns and I had letters from Doris' lawyers demanding that we hand over our domain names to them - Stephen agreed and I didn't. Doris has a whole team of lawyers looking out for her interests, if she or them aren't happy about something they will take action, as with the 'bag lady' story in the Globe.

If I had had a letter from Doris saying she didn't like what I was doing I'd stop tomorrow but until I get that letter I'll carry on - unless I feel I don't want to. My point being why assume she feels this that or the other?

Sheila

Had a thought!

Unread post by Sheila »

I have withdrawn my comments...not because I think I'm wrong! Just I could have sooooo put my point in a far more constructive manner. Sorry if my tone, caused any animosity...

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

Bryan you should lock this thread till the book is published. Why put yourself through this? If all the DD sites on the web closed tomorrow the book will still be publshed! And I never heard of Doris calling in for the Considering Doris book? I was at one of the book signings last june in Ct. With the great depression almost upon us who will care about books anyway?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Book

Unread post by ray »

As a matter of fact there was only one book signing for Considering Doris Day in Ct. The LA signing was cancelled! Doris called in for the Pierre Patrick book about her TV years.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Tom Santopietro also went to the Cincinnati area....Last fall I contacted the Joseph Beth book store in Cincinnati and found out that there had only been about a dozen or so "Considering Doris Day" books sold at Tom Santopietro's book signing in June 2007 and Doris did not call in for that. Think Sheila must be thinking of the Portrait of a Book Store Pierre Patrick signing in November 2006 when Doris really did call in.

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: Book Reviews

Unread post by mikeydv »

Regarding the recent influx of books about Doris Day:

1. I was not around when all the hoopla went up about the Mary Anne Barothy book. But I am reading it for a second time, and I am not sure what everyone got so excited about. Hearing from Mary Anne is like the next best thing to hearing from Doris. She was there first-hand.
I understand that some of the forum members and DoDo fans took issue with the book because they believe that Mary Ann betrayed trusts and shared things she had no right to share. I am not so sure I understand what all that is about. I know she was, is and will be a Doris Day Fan, and that she tried
in her way to share with us the experience of her life. And I for one appreciate it. I am reading the book for a second time and enjoying it again.
2. Similarly, I thorougly enjoyed the David Kaufman book as well. It is well written with much insight. I may not always agree with the things he says, but he has certainly made his point: that Doris is the greatest female entertainer of the 20th Century, and the most underappreciated. Hopefully, his book will address and countermand that issue.
3. The Brett book is an abomination. He can't write. He can't report. His research sucks. That book is the one that deserves to be burned or trashed.
4. As for the Globe and other "national rags": everyone I know thinks they are a gigantic joke.
5. One good thing: for better or worse, Doris is back in the news again. People are talking about her; re-appraising her work. THAT IS A GOOD THING.
6. I have a question: I have searched but I have not been able to find anything, anywhere that shows that any of these books are best sellers. Are they? Is anyone reading???