MERV GRIFFIN BIOGRAPHY

Books and articles about Doris Day.
mikeydv
Music Master

MERV GRIFFIN BIOGRAPHY

Unread post by mikeydv » 15 Aug 2009, 13:32

Almost finished reading the new biography about Merv Griffin, and how he spent his life "in the closet" so to speak. It is very interesting (and kind of explicit as well), but believe it or not, Doris is mentioned many times throughout the book and always in a good light..not so of so many of the others mentioned.

It is almost sad to hear how many times Merv was "beat out" of a chance at a real movie career by Gordon MacRae....even DoDo wanted him to costar with her in some of the Warner's Musicals.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: MERV GRIFFIN BIOGRAPHY

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Aug 2009, 15:21

It is almost sad to hear how many times Merv was "beat out" of a chance at a real movie career by Gordon MacRae....even DoDo wanted him to costar with her in some of the Warner's Musicals.
Well Gordon was hard to beat! But I don't accept the premise that MacRae could/should be blamed - talent will out and all that. And Gordon was a major talent and, like Doris, somewhat taken for granted because he also made it look effortless in the Warner Bros stock company. As Doris went on the bigger and better things musically, so did Gordon. Could you see Merv Griffin (not a great film name) starring in Carousel or Oklahoma ?

As for the gay thing, I discovered that when I did a search for details of the interview - I don't know him from Adam, living in the UK, so it didn't mean anything in terms of being 'surprised' but it did remind me that Doris has had many gay friends in and out of show business.
What a difference a Day makes...

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 15 Aug 2009, 22:12

I want to get that book! What's the name of it and the author? Doris did her first talk show appearnace with Merv so she must have thought highly of him, He was also at the press conference in Carmel in 1985 when Rock appeared with Doris to promote the Best Friends show. I think Merv was there with Eva Gabor. He was supposed to have been a guest on the Best Friends cabe show but never did appear.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 16 Aug 2009, 00:04

MERV GRIFFIN: A LIFE IN THE CLOSET by Darwin Porter.

I did not know he was gay, but it doesn't matter ....live and let live. He was a good friend to Doris and Rock. When you read the book, you will read about his relationship with Eva Gabor as well.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Aug 2009, 05:32

Ray, click on these links:

http://www.signorile.com/2007/08/merv-g ... loset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.queerty.com/merv-griffins-se ... -20090506/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/peopl ... ookshelves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 16 Aug 2009, 16:43

Thanks for the links! I bought the book and scanned through it and Ronald Reagan said he was considering proposing marriage to Doris back in the early Warner days!! I will read on......

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 16 Aug 2009, 16:56

I'm sure Merv may have wanted to believe he would have had a big career a la Gordon MacRae, but in reality he was way too short. He could have played the second banana who always lost the girl, but he could not have starred opposite Doris. Of course, Gordon MacRae didn't invent "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune" and earn the big money that came along with that either. So things tend to balance themselves out on the whole.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 18 Aug 2009, 08:34

When Doris made her first talk show appearance on Merv's show in 1970 he played a clip of his very small part in, By The Light Of The Silvery Moon. The audience laughed as did Doris who looked great with hardly no makeup and her hair tied back in a small ponytail. That was Merv's big movie break in which he thought he would eventually be Doris's singing co-star! He announced the skaters going on the ice in the last scene. He did make a few totally forgetable movies for Warners. Doris did help get him a screen test though.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Aug 2009, 16:03

A short man in a small part. :twisted:

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 18 Aug 2009, 19:58

WATCH IT! I am only 5'4...my shortness never stopped me from doing anything.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 18 Aug 2009, 20:59

Mike,
I look up to you!!!!
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 20 Aug 2009, 00:31

Doris and Jackie Susann are mentioned seperately in this book. Wish someone had photos and clips of when they appeared together on Merv's talk show in 1973! A year later Jackie would be dead along with Billy De Wolfe who was also on with them. Doris had her hair long with a big hat on and looked fabulous.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 20 Aug 2009, 07:17

Ray,
I was with Doris for the 1973 Merv Griffin show - the reason she wore a hat is because she and I had been streaking her hair a couple days before the show....Jack Melcher stopped over and we both forgot the timer. We were having such a good time with Jack and lost all sense of time. The dye was on too long and her hair ended up too blond on top - like a ring of gold. I'll never forget her expression when we were unraveling the tin foil and she saw the end result...yikes! Thank God she was known for wearing hats and decided to wear one on that show. It was a great show with both Billy and Jackie. Doris really enjoyed doing it with Merv. Never have seen any video of this show. But that is the inside scoop on why she was wearing a hat for that show.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Aug 2009, 07:48

Funny story Mary-Anne. Was this the same incident [over streaking] that happened to Doris just before she met Hotch to decide whether to do the book? The story is mentioned at the beginning of Doris' book where she turns up to meet Hotch [wearing a hat] - and mentioned being over streaked ['boy am I over streaked']! If not, Doris must have been unlucky in this regard several times!

Deirdre Barr Kushner

Unread post by Deirdre Barr Kushner » 19 Nov 2011, 20:29

I watched Merv Griffin for years on his talk show. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. He kept his life private - and if that means staying in the closet - so be it. I wish more people would keep their lives in the closet - both straight and gay - I don't need to know everyone's intimate details. I saw a lot of Merv's early movies when he was very young - and he was one handsome devil - in fact one of the movies he was I believe with Doris. Anyways - Merv holds a special place in my heart. DBKushner