What is the best biography of Doris?

Books and articles about Doris Day.
Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

What is the best biography of Doris?

Unread post by Ania » 20 Jul 2011, 05:49

True, I do not know English yet, but from September I will learn :D And every fan should have a biography of his idol :D Where can I buy and what price such a book? Please respond :D
Thank you beautiful :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: What is the best biography of Doris?

Unread post by mikeydv » 20 Jul 2011, 12:17

HER OWN STORY by A. E. Hotchner in collaboration with Doris.
Here is a link for purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Doris-Day-Her-Own ... 225&sr=1-1

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 20 Jul 2011, 13:51

mikeydv wrote:HER OWN STORY by A. E. Hotchner in collaboration with Doris.
Here is a link for purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Doris-Day-Her-Own ... 225&sr=1-1
Beautifully thank you, surely I buy :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jul 2011, 15:23

I agree Mike, if I had to pick one - I'd pick '...Her own story...' - though there are other lovely tribute books out there with most assessing her amazing talents and cultural impact more than the ever modest Miss Day does in her own book.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 20 Jul 2011, 16:21

Jas1 wrote:I agree Mike, if I had to pick one - I'd pick '...Her own story...' - though there are other lovely tribute books out there with most assessing her amazing talents and cultural impact more than the ever modest Miss Day does in her own book.
Can first buy the one given by mikeydv :D
thanks to :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 20 Jul 2011, 22:49

Hey Jaz1 the Doris and All That Jazz show now running on sampod!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 23 Oct 2015, 16:40

Doris Day, Her Own Story by A.E. Hotchner is the best biography of Doris that I have read. There are more truthful stories directly given to the author by Doris in the book.

I also like what her co-stars, James Cagney, James Garner, Polly Bergen, had to say.Doris' son Terry and her mother Alma Kopplehoff really gave important insights into Doris' life experiences.

It is a really good book. I often refer to it to check out facts.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Oct 2015, 09:59

You could also try David Kaufman's excellent book: http://dorisday.net/blog/
What a difference a Day makes...

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 29 Jun 2016, 00:35

So many people wrote or wants to write a book about Doris. But they turn out to be self serving and almost a fan book about themselves and their ideas how Doris should have lived and handled things. She did quite well on her own. Doris Day, Her Own Story is the top notch book about Doris by Doris. Her book is the only one that was a true bestseller.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 29 Jun 2016, 10:59

The New York Times shows that the book was on its Top 10 best-sellers list for 21 weeks, five of them at #1. In 1976 that was a pretty good run.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 29 Jun 2016, 13:16

Doris was number one again in 1976 and what looked like another happy ending with her then new marriage.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 30 Jun 2016, 05:20

I love the Doris/Hotchner book - it is quite an usual concept and works really well [for me] with others being interviewed and their words shown, including many of Doris' co-stars and her mother and son. Read or maybe it was from an interview- Cary Grant bought several copies for friends and asked Doris to sign them - wonder why he was either not asked, or, did not wish to contribute to the book?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 29 Jul 2016, 13:13

I've always wondered about that too, Jas. Maybe Cary was approached and he declined. He was a very private person in his later years.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 30 Jul 2016, 11:33

It would be interesting to know if Hotchner tried to get comments from Cary Grant. Based on a quote from Grant contained in one of several biographies about him (can't remember which one, but it was published after his death in 1986 and I read it in the Academy's library in Beverly Hills), I think he might have declined to be interviewed for Doris's memoir. What he said about Marty Melcher was, "He was always meddling in things [during the filming of That Touch of Mink]. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but the best thing that ever happened to that poor woman [Doris] was when he died." Pretty strong feelings if the quote is accurate.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Aug 2016, 07:44

That's interesting, Judy, It's a good description, Marty the Meddler. Sinatra banned him from the set of Young at Heart because he tried to get the title song for Doris. Didn't he also want Pillow Talk to have a different title to suit a song he owned? Not many people liked him in Hollywood - and getting Doris' co-stars such as Kirk Douglas and Gordon MacRae to lose money on bad investments can't have helped his reputation.

But Doris was his ultimate victim and I think that Cary was right - if he'd lived another 10 years Doris might not have been in a situation to be able to work to pay off her debts and make enough to retire on.
What a difference a Day makes...

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 02 Aug 2016, 11:04

Right, Bryan -- and Van Johnson, Ross Hunter, and arranger/conductor Frank DeVol were also among others who lost money as a result of his "recommendations."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Aug 2016, 05:19

I agree Michael and Judy, that sounds very plausible why Cary refused to comment on the book - maybe for similar reasons so did Sinatra - I am sure he too was contacted.

On Moonlight Bay

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay » 19 May 2017, 17:48

I'm sure they didn't comment out of regard for Doris. She was just telling her story and not inviting co-stars to open up old wounds. Ultimately he betrayed her, in that he wasn't honest with her and used her talent and money for his own gratification. Could you justify doing that to your partner? I couldn't. Plus he became abusive to her son,Terry. It's the old story, you can be rich and famous and still unhappy because of the choices you make. And Doris did make those choices and ended up disillusioned with men.