Barbra Streisand Concert in London

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 14 Mar 2019, 18:13

Recently read that there will be a Barbra Streisand concert in Hyde Park in London England on Sunday July 7-2019.
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Barbra Streisand Concert in London

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Mar 2019, 06:00

Yes, there are quite a few reports about it, Johnny, including from the BBC:

Barbra Streisand to play Hyde Park in July

Enough is enough? Not for musical icon Barbra Streisand, who will perform in London's Hyde Park this summer in her first UK concert date in six years.

The 76-year-old, known for such hits as Guilty, The Way We Were and Don't Rain On My Parade, will make her British Summer Time debut on 7 July.

The singer, whose Walls album came out last year, last performed in London at the O2 Arena in 2013.

Celine Dion and Robbie Williams will also perform in Hyde Park this summer.

So will Neil Young and Bob Dylan, though their joint concert on 12 July will not be held under the British Summer Time (BST) banner.

Streisand, the recipient of two Oscars, 10 Grammys and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, has not given a concert since her The Music, The Mem'ries, The Magic tour ended in New York in May 2017.

Read More + video> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47469670
What a difference a Day makes...

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 Mar 2019, 10:39

Strikes me as odd that the BCC lists 3 of Streisand's well known recordings, but "People" isn't one of them. That's like omitting "Que Sera, Sera" from a list of 3 of Doris's hits.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 15 Mar 2019, 11:01

My thought, exactly!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Mar 2019, 18:51

Very good point, Judy, that is is definately her song.

One of my favourites of her's is Why Did I Choose You?:

Let's share our favourite Barbara songs! Send me a YouTube link to yours and I'll' post it here for you.

Funnily enough, I'm just listening to the audiobook, Hello Gorgeous, Becoming Barbra Streisand - I'm still at the period where she's about 19 in New York and trying to get a break. The book version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hello-Gorgeous ... 184954395X

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Mar 2019, 20:00

For Judy, :)

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 16 Mar 2019, 02:12

Thanks, Bryan!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 16 Mar 2019, 07:24

I've been fortunate enough to see Streisand in concert seven times since 1994 when she made her triumphant return to concert performing at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I had never experienced a live performance like that before, nor had I ever felt the kind of anticipation and pent-up energy in a concert arena. It was a magical evening and the fond memories still linger to this day.

I couldn't possibly pick one of her songs as my favorite, so I decided to share one of her lesser known recordings. The song is "I Don't Know Where I Stand" and it was written by Joni Mitchell. It's a rather understated vocal and a bit of departure for Barbra stylistically. I love what she does with the lyrics.

Michael

PS: Bryan, I love Why Did I Choose You? too. It's a very haunting song and vocal.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 16 Mar 2019, 08:18

Among many Barbra Streisand songs that I love, the one that stays close to me is Someone That I Used To Love. It is a beautifully understated emotional ballad.

Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Mar 2019, 09:45

Michael said "PS: Bryan, I love Why Did I Choose You? too. It's a very haunting song and vocal".
Yes, Michael, it has a story to it from when I was very young - but that's all I'm willing to share about it! :wink:

And thanks, Johnny, your post and the book I'm reading about her has rekindled my interest in her music. I've just downloaded lots of her songs from YouTube so I can play them on my TV stick. I may even buy a CD! :)

The thing about the London concert is that ticket prices seem to start from £130 standing in the park and goes up to £3,210 for two sitting! :shock:

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Mar 2019, 10:17

This is great - Barbra filming "DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE"

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 16 Mar 2019, 12:27

Loved the video - thanks for posting it, Bryan. I also love "Someone That I Used to Love," a big hit for Natalie Cole back in the 70's (I think it was the 70's). And "Why Did I Choose You" is another tune high on my list. Another favorite (I have so many) is "You're Gonna Hear From Me," a song from the film, "Inside Daisy Clover."

Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 16 Mar 2019, 12:53

A number of fans paid around £324 for Diamond Circle seating during the Pre-Sale, but I heard prices went up considerably after that closed. It's going to be a long day for those in attendance. Doors open at 12:30 pm but she doesn't take the stage until 8pm that evening. That's a long time for older fans to stand in the summer heat. I am also hearing that Michael Crawford and Kris Kristofferson will join her on stage.

Michael

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 16 Mar 2019, 18:54

"You're Gonna Hear From Me" was co-written by Andre Previn and his then wife, Dory. They also wrote 3 songs for "Duet," the album Previn and Doris recorded together.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 Mar 2019, 07:12

Barbra's medley of Burt Bacharach and Hal David's One Less Bell and A House Is Not A Home from Barcharach's musical special, which aired just before the Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff special on CBS in 1971. A smart programming idea on the part of CBS. By the way, PBS is running a documentary tribute to the late, great Hal David hosted by Bette Midler - well worth your time IMO.

Another lesser known ballad from the film Funny Lady. This song fits easily into the Andre Previn / Doris Day "Duet" groove.

Michael

PS: Bryan, I've tried several ways of sharing YT videos but cannot get the actual video to populate. I can share the link only. Any tips? Thanks.
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 Mar 2019, 07:39

Musiclover wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 18:54
"You're Gonna Hear From Me" was co-written by Andre Previn and his then wife, Dory. They also wrote 3 songs for "Duet," the album Previn and Doris recorded together.
This overlooked song was from the 1965 film Inside Daisy Clover starring Natalie Wood and Robert Redford, in one of his early roles. The film was a mixed bag but it was well intentioned. I think it failed mainly because they soft-pedaled the fact that Redford's character was gay. A lot of the grit and truth that was in Gavin Lambert's novel ended-up on the cutting room floor. It's a shame because this was one of Wood's very best performances.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 17 Mar 2019, 11:18

Michael, thank you for the link to "If I Love Again." I think this is one of the very best renditions of any song Streisand ever recorded. It's timeless, too -- written 85 years ago by composer Ben Oakland and lyricist Jack Murray. Just beautiful.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Mar 2019, 10:35

Michael,

What you need to do is paste the YouTube link into the centre of the code below.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ddgaLa ... tion=share

Code: [youtube][TEXT1][TEXT2][/youtube]

Or between [youtube][TEXT1] and [TEXT2][/youtube] with no spaces.

Result:

Click Preview to make sure video is there.

If you want to show an image that's online, paste URL, highlight it and click the image button, 9th from left above. Click Preview to check.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Mar 2019, 17:41

I was making mental comparisons between Doris & Barbara'' careers, not easily done, as they are both vocal superstars. However, I think that Doris easily pips Barbara at the post when it comes to films. Doris with her 20 years of 39 films that have made her a beloved and highly successful film actress, something that Barbra originally aimed for but didn't succeed at.

Funny Girl was fantastic, the next film, Hello, Dolly!, I didn't see. What's Up, Doc? was okay but not in the same league as Funny Girl, and a little bit contrived and out of time. The Way We Were didn't appeal to me, I saw For Pete's Sake but don't remember much about it. I didn't see Funny Lady, and A Star Is Born didn't appeal to me either. Ditto The Main Event and Yentl - was that the last film she made in a starring role?

So I guess I see Barbra as a singing star rather than an actress, although she started off as a brilliant actress. Perhaps Barbra is someone you really like and admire and Doris is someone you love and admire?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by Johnny » 18 Mar 2019, 20:26

From 1968 to 2012, Barbra Streisand made 19 films. She won the Academy Award for best actress for her first film Funny Girl, (a tie with Katharine Hepburn -The Lion In Winter). This made her a major film star.

My favourite Barbra Streisand films are:

Funny Girl
The Owl and The **** Cat
What's Up Doc?
The Way We Were
A Star Is Born
Yentl
The Prince of Tides
The Mirror Has Two Faces

Interestly, Doris made 39 films in twenty years while Barbra made 19 films in forty-four years. Barbra's film career started in 1968 as Doris made her last film in the same year.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 18 Mar 2019, 22:06

Oh, Bryan... here we go ....

What’s Up Doc? - a hilarious love letter to the classic screwball comedies from the 1930s. I love this madcap movie and it introduced the brilliant Madeline Kahn to the world.

The Way We Were - a timeless love story of two mismatched people who can’t overcome their basic differences. It’s iconic!

Funny Girl, arguably her best film and performance. She won the Oscar in her film debut in what many have called the best musical comedy performance ever on film.

Yentl was her directorial debut and a passion project that Barbra spent years getting green lighted. No one wanted to finance this offbeat film but she persevered and it nabbed several Oscar nominations. And then there’s the lush musical score by Michel Legrand with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. This was a bold move by Streisand and she proved the naysayers wrong.

I’m less thrilled with the other two films she directed but Prince Of Tides has many wonderful moments. I just wish it had been a mini-series so that the other two thirds of the novel could have been adapted for film. The Mirror Has Two Faces did not do it for me at all. I was very disappointed in that film.

I agree that Doris was a more prolific film actress and she was a more versatile actress too. But remember that in addition to directing three films, Barbra produced several of her films and wrote the music for some of them too. She opened a lot of doors for actresses who want to direct and produce. She also broke the mold of traditional prettiness and paved the way for other actresses who didn’t have button noses or perfect figures.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 19 Mar 2019, 04:30

Well, I'm obviously not an authority on Barbra's film career so I'll bow to superior judgement! :)

Just sharing some personal thoughts! Wrong as they may be.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 Mar 2019, 04:31

Streisand's acting career overall is a disappointment. She started out strong and had a number of box-office and critical hits in the beginning: Funny Girl, What's Up Doc, The Way We Were and The Owl & The Pussycat. And she had commercial (if not critical) success with For Pete's Sake, Funny Lady, A Star Is Born and The Main Event. All of these films made money and Streisand should have gone onto greater roles to cement her status as a leading film actress in the 1980s and beyond. However, she became her own worst enemy (in my opinion) by being too picky and too controlling. She turned down Klute, They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and Julia - all roles that went to Jane Fonda who was either nominated or won an Oscar for her work in them. After Streisand's stellar dramatic work in The Way We Were, she should have found another worthy dramatic role to take her film career to the next level, but that didn't happen. It wasn't until 1987 when she starred in Nuts that she attempted another straight dramatic role and the film was a disappointment. After Nuts came and went, she seemed more interested in directing but it took years for her to get the two films she directed to the big screen. Things move slowly in her world of perfection and attention to the minutest of details.

That being said, Billboard magazine just named her the Number One Female Recording Artist of all time. There's no doubt in my mind that Streisand's greatest accomplishment was her recording career. Maybe all of those recordings (which she produced or co-produced and was heavily involved in every aspect of the creative process) along with her television specials and concert tours kept her too busy to pursue acting roles.

Her last and possibly final starring role in a film was the awful Guilt Trip opposite Seth Rogen. I hope that doesn't become her swan song in films, but her passion for acting seems diminished these days.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 19 Mar 2019, 04:34

Thanks for that, Michael - very useful.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 Mar 2019, 04:35

Bryan, thanks so much for the tutorial. I will give it another go.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H