Kennedy Center Honors for 2019: Doris Day? Dick van Dyke? Berry Gordy?

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Kennedy Center Honors for 2019: Doris Day? Dick van Dyke? Berry Gordy?

Unread post by webmaster » 22 Mar 2019, 18:31

It’s that time of the year again. The Kennedy Center Honors has sent out questionnaires to past winners, the artists’ committee, other friends asking who they think should be honored this year.

Maybe the worst and most egregious pass-overs have been Dick van Dyke and Doris Day. They’re each in their 90s and can’t wait much longer. Doris won’t come to the ceremony, she stays in Carmel, California. But it would be easy enough to set up a live video feed from there. Imagine all the great singers who could sing her songs. van Dyke would come. It’s criminal that he hasn’t been invited. Soul Man Sam Moore, of Sam & Dave fame, is the last among the great R&B stars who aren’t in>

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/03/22/k ... ent-363374

I left a reply saying (which I can't see yet):

"Definitely Doris Day. Okay, you don't normally get an Oscar for making people laugh or being a great musical star but she showed her acting ability in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, playing Ruth Etting in Love Me or Leave Me, with the great James Cagney and in Midnight Lace, where her method acting surpassed the script demands and required her to be taken home from the set for a few days rest.

Doris always gave it 100%, She suffered from making it look too easy and like many popular overlooked stars of her era (Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, Paul Newman, Tony Curtis, etc (make your own list) hasn't had the recognition she deserves,

I was going to say that at 97 on 3 April 2019 she doesn't really care anymore but a friend who spoke to her a couple of years ago said she was disappointed that none of her films were in the top 100 American films and plaintively said "Maybe the work didn't stand up? So I think she does care about her film legacy."

Feel free to post your own thoughts/comments. :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Kennedy Center Honors for 2019: Doris Day? Dick van Dyke? Berry Gordy?

Unread post by jmichael » 23 Mar 2019, 09:57

I thought she had already turned them down but maybe I am confusing this with the Oscars.

Personally, I don't see this happening and I doubt Doris or her team would agree for her to appear on camera at this point. Something similar was agreed to previously with the Oscars but Doris bailed on them. If you recall, she wasn't visible on the balcony last year during her birthday celebration. She was hidden by a blanket that was hung over the rail of her deck. You could only see the top of her head. Still photos may be OK but I doubt she would agree to be filmed from a remote location. That being said, you are right about the musical tribute they could give her. What a thrill it would be to see contemporary singers honor her musical career.

I agree 100% about Dick Van Dyke, He is a master comedian and someone who could do it all. He has always been under appreciated in my opinion.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 31 Mar 2019, 16:21

Thank you Bryan and Michael for this subject.

I would like organziations who wish to bestow awards or honours on Hollywood legends to ask the person;

How would you like us to organize this event for you to accept the award in the way most comfortable and convenient for you ?

Would you like to accept the award in person or delegate someone?

It must be a person -centered communications approach that is respectful and considerate of the person by offering choices. This will enhance the dignity and importance of the award as well as that of the organiztion bestowing the recognition.

Imagine how Doris would feel if she was asked for her opinions, decisions and involvement. She still may decline but this communications process gives her respect through choices. I think Doris would think about accepting an award if a donation to the Doris Day Animal Foundation was a part of the recognition.
It is essential organizations understand what is most important NOW to the person being recognized.

There are many friends and admirers of Doris that would love to participate in a creative authentic tribute to her.

One can hope that institutionalied organizations can evolve into the 21st century by examining priorities that respect people and give their award dignity and meaning.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 31 Mar 2019, 23:30

Very well said, Johnny. It would be so refreshing if various organizations would put the interests of prospective honorees ahead of their own agendas.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 01 Apr 2019, 05:46

I do think the Academy should give her the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award at the very least. Her pioneering work in the field of animal rights is extraordinary and she should be recognized whether she attends the ceremony or not. I think her stellar film career is long overdue for recognition too, but I still don't fully understand why that hasn't happened. I've heard various stories over the years but it remains murky to me.

Well said, Johnny, on all counts.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Apr 2019, 13:23

Yes, good points, Johnny - and Michael.

I was listening to the audiobook 'The Divine Feud' in which Betty Davis was expecting to win the Oscar for 'Whatever happened to Baby Jane' and lost to Anne Bancroft for The Miracle Worker (1962). The book describes how furious Betty Dais was when Joan Crawford accepted the Oscar on behalf of Anne Bancroft. Thereby getting the Oscar limelight.

Joan Crawford, accepting an award on behalf of Anne Bancroft, poses with other acting winners—Gregory Peck, Patty Duke and Ed Begley—at the 1963 Oscars. Getty Images

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/f ... -timeline/

And I just remembered that Marlon Brando had a Native American woman collect his Oscar while complaining about the government's treatment of Native Americans. So if it was possible then, why not now?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 04 Apr 2019, 11:18

Yes, indeed; it's happened before. I remember Jimmy Stewart's short but emotional speech when he accepted an honorary Oscar given to Gary Cooper in the early 1960s. It seems to me that, in all arenas, more and more attention is paid to people who are publicity grabbers, and less and less to acknowledging the contributions of those who go about their work quietly, deliver the goods, and don't seek the limelight. Doris epitomizes that kind of overlooked person.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Apr 2019, 05:42

I think to right a [very bad] wrong- the Academy should present her with the 2 Hon Oscars in the same year- presumably the only time this has been done- the humanitarian one [which I agree Doris would appreciate more] and the one for her film work. Now wouldn't that be something for Nora Neat?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Apr 2019, 07:45

There is a petition circulating on Facebook to lobby the Academy for a Special Oscar. Appears to be fan driven and I have no idea how many people have signed it or if will make a difference.

By chance, I happened upon a Magic 63 radio interview on YT from 2009. The DJ, Ed Dickinson, was very emphatic about the Kennedy Center wanting to honor Doris that year. He was trying to convince her to accept by mentioning Tony Bennett as a featured performer among others. He even offered to drive Doris across country to accept the honor in person. As usual, Doris downplayed it, saying she didn't think about things like that anymore. So she may have already declined that honor once and I doubt they will approach her again.

However, I do think the Academy should come through for her whether she goes to LA or not.

Michael
Michael H

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 15 Jun 2019, 09:35

Michael - George Stevens Jr. said in an interview several years ago, that the Kennedy Center Honors had been offered to Doris Day but she declined - in a "..lovely, gracious and charming manner..." In addition, the American Film Institute offered her their honor - TWICE!! She declined both times because it involved a major television production with guests and so much exposure - more than she wished. She had attended, as you know, when James Cagney was honored and the thought of going through something like that for herself, was more than she wanted.

You might recall that at the Golden Globes, they kept the camera on her while the film clips were being shown. She looked away through all of them until she heard Hames Garner's voice. She looked up startled, almost expecting him to be there and did watch the film portion in which he spoke.

Regarding the Oscars. I think Is aid a few years ago that friends of mine who are members of the Academy, told me that the petition drives only alienated the Board of the Academy. "This is NOT the People's Choice Awards.." was one comment made. In addition, numerous "fans" wrote threatening letters to the Academy, several of which were referred to authorities for action.

Doris had nothing against the Academy. After all she sang on the 1949 show, honoring accomplishments of 1948, and presented three consecutive years. However, she never felt a competitive urge which is one of the reasons she didn't waste any time bemoaning the loss of Nellie in "South Pacific". Richard Zanuck invited Doris and Marty to attend the 1965 show with him since she was shooting "Do Not Disturb" at the time on the Fox lot. She declined because she and Marty had seats for a Laker's game on the same night - court side.

The Academy reached out several times to give an Honorary Oscar. The first time it would have been part of the broadcast, later they were willing to bring it to her in Carmel but requested a filmed acceptance - not live, however. I see their point in wanting that. After all, if they are bestowing their highest Honor, they would like to have a record for their archives and posterity of the artist accepting it. Doris declined. She also declined accepting and attending at the separate event to honor Honorary Winners.

She finally requested that her name be taken out of ALL future consideration. They honored the request because she was once again "gracious and thoughtful" in her message to them. There was no bitterness or "what might have been".

I spent enough time with Doris to know that any and all honors and awards meant little. She didn't do something with an idea that there might be something in it for her. All the time I spent at North Crescent Drive and there was not a single award, honor or Gold Record visible. She was the most genuinely unaffected human being I have ever met. Nothing phony and no seeking of awards, honors or anything else. Placing a dog in a good home meant much more than anything else could, or spending time with a treasured friend or hearing someone say to her in the super market, "I love your work. It has helped me immeasurably in my life..."

She could have amassed a warehouse filled with honors and awards, had she so chosen. Fortunately for all of us, she took the route of humanity.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 15 Jun 2019, 14:10

Thanks for the great information, Paul.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 15 Jun 2019, 16:29

Hi Paul,

Liked reading your story, you always know so much details. Thank you again.

P

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jun 2019, 10:09

Paul - thanks again for more fabulous information - while I totally respect Doris' decisions- it is lovely to know that she was offered these prestigious awards.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Jun 2019, 17:31

Paul, thank you so much for your post on Doris and her attitude toward awards. The line that touched me so deeply is: "Fortunately for all of us, she took the route of humanity.

It is her kind and authentic spirit that connected with all of us (and they are countless ) who love her.

I would like to think the Academy could evolve in having a similar humanity to Doris' in showing respect by asking the people they wish to honour what would be most comfortable for them and let them make the decision. The honour does not have to be transactional.

I understand the Academy's showbusiness concern in wanting to have the honouree present. However, the wishes of the honouree should take prominence. Doris was not a game- player and she was always gracious regardless of the circumstances. No award could be more important to her than her dignity.

I hope one day, the Academy will institute a Legend Award for all the actors who never received an award or nomination.

Some of these individuals that are true legends in film are:

Marilyn Monroe
Ewan Mc Gregor
Jane Russell
Myrna Loy
Rita Hayworth
Robin Wright
Errol Flynn
Tyrone Power
Dana Andrews
Lucille Ball
W.C. Fields
Glenn Ford
Jean Harlow

The award would highlight the history of film and the legends that made it an art form. It would also introduce these legends to current day audiences. They should always be remembered.

Dirk Bogarde
Johnny