Let Us Remember

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Let Us Remember

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Mar 2019, 18:24

Let Us Remember:

On March 30-1986, veteran leading man James Cagney died at age 86.

Cagney starred with Doris Day in The West Point Story,
Starlift and Love Me or Leave Me.

He won the Academy award in 1942 for best actor for his role in Yankee Doodle Dandy.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 08 Apr 2019, 12:36

Let Us Remember:

On April 8-2000, actress Claire Trevor died at age 90. She won the best supporting Academy award for her role in Key Largo.

She also starred in:

Stage Coach
The High and The Mighty
Dead End
Marjorie Morningstar
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Apr 2019, 15:01

Let Us Remember:

On April10- 1962, Director Michael Curtiz died at age 75. He won the 1943 Academy Award for best Director for the classic picture Casablanca starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. He also directed James Cagney to his best actor Academy award in Yankee Doodle Dandy and Joan Crawford to her best actress Academy award for her role in Mildred Pierce.

Michael Curtiz directed Doris Day in her first film Romance On The High Seas. He recognized her as a major talent and put her under contract. He also directed Doris in three other films, My Dream Is Yours, I'll See You In My Dreams, and Young Man With A Horn.

On April 10- 1965, the stunningly beautiful actress Linda Darnell died tragically in a fire at age 41.
She received critical acclaim for her work in the films Unfaithfully Yours and A Letter To Three Wives.
She also starred in Blood and Sand, Forever Amber, Fallen Angel, My Darling Clementine and No Way Out.

On April 10- 1975, actress Marjorie Main died at age 85. She starred in The Women, Heaven Can Wait and received an Academy award nomination for best supporting actress for the film The Egg and I. She became most famous for her role as Ma Kettle in the comedy film series Ma and Pa Kettle which was very popular in the 1950"s.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 28 Apr 2019, 17:52

let Us Remember:

On April 28-1970, actor Ed Begley died at age 69. He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1962 for his role in Sweet Bird of Youth. His other films include, Odds Against Tomorrow, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Inherit The Wind, and Hang 'Em High.

On April 28- 1999,actor Rory Calhoun died at age 76. He starred in I'd Climb The Highest Mountain, How To Marry A Millionaire, River of No Return, and Marco Polo.

On April 28- 2012, exotic British actress Patricia Medina died at age 92. She starred in films from the 1930's to the 1970's. Some of her films are, The Foxes of Harrow, The Three Musketeers, Drums of Tahiti, and Snow White and The Three Stooges.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 14 May 2019, 19:50

Let Us Remember:

On May 14-1987,charasmattic actress Rita Hayworth died of Alzheimer's disease at age 68. She was a sensation in the 1946 film Gilda with Glenn Ford. Her other films were Cover Girl, The Lady From Shanghai, Blood and Sand, Pal Joey and Separate Tables.

On May 14- 1998, actor and singer Frank Sinatra died at age 82. He won the best supporting actor Academy award for his role in From Here To Eternity. He starred with Doris Day in Young At Heart, High Society with Grace Kelly and in Pal Joey with Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak. He also starred in the political thriller The Manchurian Candidate with Angela Lansbury.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 15 May 2019, 05:00

Just thinking of May 13 next year....

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 01 Jun 2019, 11:10

Let Us Remember:

On June 1 -1943,British actor Leslie Howard died at age 50 when his plane was shot down during WW 2.
His most famous role was in Gone With the Wind playing Ashley Wilkes. He also starred opposite Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 02 Jun 2019, 20:14

Let Us Remember:

On June 2 - 1977, actor Stephen Boyd died at age 45. He starred in Ben Hur and in Billy Rose's Jumbo with Doris Day.

On June 2 - 1990, actor Rex Harrison died at age 82. He starred with Doris Day in Midnight Lace and In My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn.
Johnny

RobertOClare
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by RobertOClare » 07 Jun 2019, 11:16

The following was posted by Scott Dreier on his Facebook page on 2 June 2019.

"To all my fellow Doris Day pals:
I was asked to keep this confidential until now....

It is with great sadness that I am sharing the news of the passing of our dear friend and Doris’s Co-Star John Findlater. John passed away peacefully in his sleep on February 21st, 2019.

I feel so lucky and honored to have have gotten to know this wonderful, dear man and to have been able to call him a friend. John was so charming, kind, intelligent, generous, and had the most beautifully, hilarious dry sense of humor in the world.

John played Doris Day’s oldest son, Flip in Doris’s final film “With Six You Get Eggroll”.
I was honored and humbled to meet and get to interview John 2 times (with Lea Price, Paul Nygro, and Katie Lackany Gertz).

The first time we interviewed him was for the “Celebrating Doris:Stories from her Co-Stars” dvd a few years ago benefiting the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

And a year ago I was so thrilled and excited to have found my way to —and reunite—John with his two “McClure brothers” from Eggroll—Rick Steele and Jimmy Bracken for a second interview.

It was their first time seeing each other in 50 years! John was simply over the moon getting to see his movie brothers again. They were all so excited to get to see each other after so many years. And Rick Steele so graciously arranged for us to film at his studio. I will never forget the magical and electric energy in that room that night.....it was truly palpable..... I can’t wait to share the interview from that night with you all.

Many of my fellow Doris fans got to meet John. He and his beautiful wife, Vicky attended Doris’s 96th birthday event a year ago in Carmel for the 50th Anniversary screening of “With Six You Get Eggroll” (and the 50th anniversary of The Doris Day Show)—along with his “brother” Jimmy Bracken and his lovely wife Kim Blackwood Bracken, Jackie Joseph-Lawrence, Bernie Kopell, and Philip Brown and his dear wife Francesca Corra.

John was so excited to be a part of the birthday celebration honoring his beloved “mom” Doris and raising money for the precious four-leggers. John loved and adored Doris —they had kept in touch over the years and his face always lit up when he would talk about working with her...

And John simply loved every moment of getting time connecting with all of the many wonderful fans from all over the world at the event in 2018.

The last time I got to see John was last August at a performance of my “Doris and Me” show at the Colony Theatre in Los Angeles. We were raising money during the entire run for the DDAF—and all three McClure Brothers—John, Jimmy, and Rick graciously wanted to be there to help raise money for the babies—also making their very first public appearance together in 50 years (along with dear Brian Nash—Doris’s son from “The Thrill of It All”)!

That day also happened to be the EXACT date of the 50th Anniversary release of “With Six You Get Eggroll.” I will never forget the roar of applause announcing them all to the stage that night. I was so humbled to have them all there together—celebrating Doris—supporting me—and helping to raise money for the precious animals. John brought the two loves of his life to the show that night—his beautiful wife Vicky and his gorgeous daughter, Linden.
I will treasure his glorious support and wonderful friendship always.
RIP Dear John Findlater. You were a prince among men and I am so grateful and honored to have gotten to know you ❤️"

I met John at Doris' 96th birthday celebration in Carmel last year. A really nice, down-to-earth man.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 07 Jun 2019, 14:01

Thank you so much Robert for posting this information about the passing of John Findlater. I had not heard about this.

I remember him fondly as Doris' son in With Six You Get Eggroll. I thought he looked so much like Doris he could be her real son. His personality was sunny and bright like Doris'.

I appreciate all of Scott Dreier's interesting background information as well.
Johnny

RobertOClare
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by RobertOClare » 07 Jun 2019, 16:40

Hi Johnny,

Yes, it came as a shock when I read it as he didn't seem all that old to me. I suppose I still think of him as Doris' son in 'With Six You Get Eggroll'. I haven't been able to find any other reports of his passing on the Internet.

I think he recalled in the Q & A session at the 2018 birthday celebration how he went to the studio to audition for the part and when Doris saw him she said, "Hire him, he looks just like me."

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 15 Jun 2019, 16:49

Let Us Remember:

On June 15, 1965, actor Steve Cochran died at age 48. He played Doris' husband in the excellent film noir Storm Warning.

On June 15, 1996, the First Lady of Jazz, Ella Fitzgerald died at age 78.

Ella was know primarily as a great singer for the songs, A-Tisket A-Tasket, It's Only A Paper Moon, Cheek To Cheek, and Dream A Little Dream of Me and countless more.
Ella made four films, Ride 'Em Cowboy, Pete Kelly Blues, Let No Man Write My Epitaph and St. Louis Blues.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Jun 2019, 07:21

Let Us Remember:

On June 17- 1961, actor Jeff Chandler died at age 42 due to medical malpractice. He was nominated for an Academy award for best supporting actor in 1950 for his role in Broken Arrow.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 17 Jun 2019, 19:52

Here's DD with Jeff Chandler at a SHARE charity benefit:

Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Jun 2019, 20:27

Thank you Howard for this photo of Doris with Jeff.

I have not seen it before.

An added note on Jeff Chandler, he went to school with Susan Hayward. They were friends and she visited him in the hospital just before he died.
Johnny