Gretchen Wyler

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
LuckyDay

Gretchen Wyler

Unread post by LuckyDay »

I know we don't want this to be the death knell for celebrities but we lost yet another soldier on the war of animal abuse. Gretchen was only 75. She had breast cancer.

Just as a reminder, the only thing death removes is the physical being. Love does not die. The soul does not die. Remember them. Love them. And try not to be sad that you cannot see them.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Gretchen introduced many people to PETA with her appearance on Doris Day's Best Friends when PETA was just starting out. I'm not a fan of that org or many of their tactics, but I'm sure it has a place in scheme of things. I much prefer the tack of Doris' organizations.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Gretchen Wyler was prominently featured in Rick McKay's film "Broadway: The Golden Age".. which was first in theatres, then shown on public television in the U.S.--and is available on DVD: www.broadwaythemovie.com

Gretchen had a great outgoing personality--and she was once introduced from the audience on a night when I was also there at a Dallas club called The 90th Floor (which was at ground level).

The owners of that club, Dick and Kiz Harp, seemed on their way to jazz stardom when Kiz died suddenly at 29. I felt lucky to have the two LPs that were ever produced, recorded live at the club.

Then, in recent years, their label was resurrected by the recording engineer. Everyone who ever heard them, including the engineer, never stopped remembering them with love, as LuckyDay says above.

Kiz and her pianist husband can be heard on the sample tracks 1 & 2. Hers was a distinctive voice that, like Doris Day's, is always recognizable. (The samples sound a bit less rich than the CDs, though.)www.90thfloorrecords.com

(Dick and Kiz' recording of "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most", by the way, sets a standard for that standard.)

dave
Honorary Member

dave

Unread post by dave »

Here's the link, clickable: www.90thfloorrecords.com

(No working "edit" button in sight..)

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Dave..

Unread post by webmaster »

(No working "edit" button in sight..)

Means you are not logged in, Dave.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Sorry, Bryan, but I think it's my cantankerous Earthlink (even when it says "You CAN edit your posts..." it's not clickable on the word "CAN" or anywhere else).

For anyone reading this far, just Google up Gretchen Wyler to see her and a history of her career and her animal activism--or see the tributes to her, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Kitty Carlisle Hart on www.broadwaythemovie.com

Are there other well-known animal activists besides Doris Day, Betty White, Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and the late Gretchen Wyler?

dave
Honorary Member

dave

Unread post by dave »

p.s. Also, if I weren't logged in I couldn't be posting replies...