Kay Ballard Joins Palm Springs Follies

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Unread post by Guest »

Kaye Ballard joins Palm Springs Follies

PALM SPRINGS The Fabulous Palm Springs Follies presents guest star Kaye Ballard through April 24.

This legendary singer and comedienne has conquered burlesque, vaudeville, big bands, nightclubs, Broadway, movies and television, and now Follies' audiences can see her on the Plaza Theatre stage.

Instantly recognizable from her many television and film appearances, Ballard is the consummate performer who has been perfecting her craft for more than 60 years.

Born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1926, she made her stage debut at age 12 and was singing professionally at Cleveland's Stage Door Canteen three years later. Then in 1943, she was "discovered" by bandleader Spike Jones, who took her on tour until 1945.

She made her New York stage debut in 1946 in "Three to Make Ready," which became the first of a series of Broadway appearances. In 1954, she appeared in "The Golden Apple" and introduced the song "Lazy Afternoon" (now a standard), which garnered her a Life Magazine cover.

She also co-starred in the Broadway musical "Carnival," which was adapted from the film "Lili."

Hollywood beckoned in 1957 and she made her film debut co-starring with Jane Powell in "The Girl Most Likely." Fifteen movies followed, including "Which Way to the Front?," the original "Freaky Friday," "A House Is not a Home" and her favorite, "The Ritz."

On television, she was a regular on "The Perry Como Show," spent a season on "The Doris Day Show" and made more than 150 appearances on "The Tonight Show." The role for which she is perhaps best remembered was in the hit series "The Mothers-in-Law" playing opposite Eve Arden.

That sitcom was produced by Desi Arnaz (in whose former home in Rancho Mirage Ballard now lives), and in it, two wacky neighbors get into trouble each week a la Lucy and Ethel.

The Follies is presented at the historic Plaza Theater in downtown Palm Springs. Information and reservations: Box Office at 760-327-0225 or visit www.palmspringsfollies.com

jboy4day
Forum Friend

Great fun!

Unread post by jboy4day »

I noticed that she was going to be in it reading the theaters info last fall.
I travel there frequently to the Cochella valley. I love it there.
Very interesting she lives in Desi's home in RM. I understand that Bob Hope left his fabulous hillside historic home to the Catholic church?!