Politics

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Its2Good2BeTrue

Re: Politics

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free to say who they believe is the right choice as the next president in the US. We, the Europeans, are just trying to give some pointers after all we're going to be affected by the election results just as much as the American citizens. It's important to speak your own mind, criticize when justified and most of all be open about everything.

doris-day-fan, I'd like to know why you think that Obama is such a bad choice as a president? He stands for so many things that need to be changed in the US. What exactly is it that draws you to McCain? Also, do you honestly think it's good to have someone like Palin represent your country, a person who as we know doesn't seem to know too much about the rest of the world and especially someone who is against sexual education in schools when the US has one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies all because of who...God??? To justify certain actions just because of God is just crazy.

Speaking of Palin and God :roll: read this:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 40,00.html

As for the right to own guns. I think that should be illegal in every country. In the UK only the police is allowed to carry guns or has this changed? I'm all ears :wink: Just reading the news here in Germany and how many gun incidents we've had lately just makes me want to shoot some of our politicians myself :lol: cause as usual it always takes several incidents and deaths before the law is changed. Still it's not as easy to get ahold of a gun here in Germany as it is in the US.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Haymarketaddict wrote: Please stop thinking in those "God bless America" ways ... God needs to bless the whole world!
True in a way but I don't think that any god could take us out of that mess we're in. There's a reason why this so-called god of yours put people on this planet so they can in live in peace and harmony. That's why we're here not to serve anybody but to live our own life. We need no bible, no churches, we need each other most of all. My 2 cents. :D

rt

Unread post by rt »

Haymarketaddict wrote: it's time that all countries work together to get us out of it!
So you guys *NEED* a President who starts the real TALKING again - we are all in the same boat so to speak. ................ God needs to bless the whole world!
Well said, Anke.

Re: Obama - he can certainly talk the talk - it remains to be seen if he can walk the walk.
A certain Mr Blair was elected because of his "charisma" - what did we get - interference in Iraq and a dogdy economy :?

I wonder if the electorate considers the govt's track record at all - it beggars belief that GWB was re-elected! :roll:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

BSDDomi wrote:
Haymarketaddict wrote: Please stop thinking in those "God bless America" ways ... God needs to bless the whole world!
True in a way but I don't think that any god could take us out of that mess we're in. There's a reason why this so-called god of yours put people on this planet so they can in live in peace and harmony. That's why we're here not to serve anybody but to live our own life. We need no bible, no churches, we need each other most of all. My 2 cents. :D
Well,.. that really depends on the definition of the word "GOD" don't you think? I believe that's different for a lot of us (which actually is part of the problem in the first place). But I think that would go to far in here now. I do agree that "no bible and no church will help us out of that mess" though. We have to help ourselves, absolutely!

@edit: As for Obama - I think he made one big mistake - he didn't take up Hillary Clinton as vice president. I Don't know maybe she didn't want to - but he definitely should have. I actually think she would have been the even better choice between those two - but that's water under the bridge.

rt

Unread post by rt »

BSDDomi wrote:
The mess will probably aways be there - in some form. The world and its inhabitants are not perfect.

Organized religion has caused plenty of strife in the world, but let's not forget that religious institutions/philanthropists have contributed a great deal to education, health care and other good causes long before it became fashionable for modern day philanthropists to do so.

John F

Unread post by John F »

Mary Anne you are a breath of fresh air. I don't know why people think Obama is going to do great things for the country. Tax cut for the middle class. With want. He really wants to redistribute the wealth, make no mistake about. I don't think he really cares about this country. Just his own agenda. I think we have hit a new low that he is the nominee. And this whole economic mess we are in is mostly the democrats fault. Banks and other lending institutions were pressured into giving loans to people who obviously did not qualify and the democrats had a big hand in this going back to President Carter and Clinton. McCain sponsored legislation to control this lending but it was defeated by the democrats. Obama is ony going to offer more social programs wasting the taxpayers money. Of course he'll never get blamed for anything. I'll be praying every day that he doesn't get elected. And I truly believe Doris Day would be supporting MCCain/Palin. She is a lady who worked hard for what she has.

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Dianne »

Theodomus wrote:Actually I often feel we are better informed over here than you Americans - because of the distance. (Edit: And we don't get our news from your news - There are European journalists etc. over in America covering everything. ;-)
EDIT: Marion, you are better informed in Germany, and any American who only relies on the US media is being misinformed. But one has to consider who owns the mainstream media in the US...CORPORATE AMERICA -- PLEASE -- wake up America -- we are fed nothing more than propaganda. Ok, I said it. I really need to stay away from this topic.

I can't endorse either candidate, in fact I think they really screwed us with the choices they laid before us ..c'mon....they couldn't do better than these two????? All and all, I will go with the lesser of the EVILS. (more to come later :mrgreen: )
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

And this whole economic mess we are in is mostly the democrats fault. Banks and other lending institutions were pressured into giving loans to people who obviously did not qualify and the democrats had a big hand in this going back to President Carter and Clinton.
Sorry?

You do remember that Clinton left an even-balanced national budget (if not even a win - I am not sure at the moment), when he left office?

And look at the budget now. Sure, the Iraq war is costing a lot of money, but that is not he only reason for this huge deficit the US has. With Bush and his friends it was all back to spoiling the industry rotten - Cutting taxes, no regulations etc.

Most European governments were trying to get better control on hedgefonds etc. for the past years already - The US and Great Britain wouldn't even talk about it.

Yes, in Germany and within the EU many many things are definitely overregulated (who cares about a banana's curvature???), but I do believe that at least some regulations are necessary.

Except for very few exceptions, often family run companies, in my opinion one can never let the economy self-regulate everything. The managers will ALWAYS go for maximum profit and shareholder value and don't care about what happens in a few years from now.

You can see the results right now, just open the newspaper. And that not only refers to America now but also to Germany, where people who trusted their banks have lost their lifetime-savings because it was invested in oh-so-secure Lehmann Brothers certificates or similar...
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

John F wrote:Mary Anne you are a breath of fresh air. I don't know why people think Obama is going to do great things for the country. Tax cut for the middle class. With want. He really wants to redistribute the wealth, make no mistake about. I don't think he really cares about this country. Just his own agenda. I think we have hit a new low that he is the nominee. And this whole economic mess we are in is mostly the democrats fault. Banks and other lending institutions were pressured into giving loans to people who obviously did not qualify and the democrats had a big hand in this going back to President Carter and Clinton. McCain sponsored legislation to control this lending but it was defeated by the democrats. Obama is ony going to offer more social programs wasting the taxpayers money. Of course he'll never get blamed for anything. I'll be praying every day that he doesn't get elected. And I truly believe Doris Day would be supporting MCCain/Palin. She is a lady who worked hard for what she has.
Let me get this straight - you are saying that Clinton and Carter (!!!!!) got America in the trouble it is now ??? Meaning the Bush administration which the majority of you guys voted into the White House for 8 years (when after 4 years it was totally clear to almost anyone outside the US that he was a total failure) has nothing to do with anything?? Come on - you *must* be kidding! PLEASE!
And if you ask me - it's most definitely better to "waste" the taxpayers money on social programs than on a war!

@Diane - thanks for your post ... needed a different American viewpoint in here ... and I agree with you - I *need* to stay away from this thread :roll:

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

It's nice to see you all having a 'robust discussion' - and it's not about 'books'! Shows what a passionate lot we all are.

I was a big fan of Obama but having heard him say he's going to increase the troop numbers in Afghanistan (many of the military top brass feel the real problem now is foreign troops there) and would do 'whatever is necessary' to stop Iran developing nuclear power - apart from sitting down and talking to them - I'm feeling worried about how many wars he's going to engage in. And meanwhile the US is selling nuclear power facilities to Pakistan!! That must seem like double standards to Iran.

I also don't approve of the policy of getting parts of the former USSR to join NATO - I think it's provocative.

That's my 2 cents worth!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

rt

Unread post by rt »

Why do "developed" countries become anxious when others develop nuclear capabilities (or even demonstrate economic growth)?

The US and the UK have not shown us that they use their advanced military facilities responsibly (Iraq).

Rum

Its2Good2BeTrue

True, rt.

Just get yourself a map of your country and count the nuclear facilities they have and how they were used in the past.

Here's one of the US
http://www.atomicarchive.com/Almanac/US ... ties.shtml
Check this list:
http://www.atomicarchive.com/Almanac/Facilities.shtml

Outwardly, we act all innocent, and when nobody's watching, we just go and grab what we want.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I just read that McCain and Palin are now going for personal attacks again.

It's a shame, especially as McCain had to endure the same in his earlier campaign in the pre-elections and completely disapproved of this way of campaigning. But appearently he or better is team is consulting Karl Rove... So much to "Things will change"...

Content, content, content - That's what the election campaigns should be about!
Marion

----------

webmaster

Why did Obama not choose Hilary for VP, I wonder? I can understand why people like/dislike her - I've felt both. But wouldn't it be better than two men is suits again?

Its2Good2BeTrue

Theodomus wrote:I just read that McCain and Palin are now going for personal attacks again.

It's a shame, especially as McCain had to endure the same in his earlier campaign in the pre-elections and completely disapproved of this way of campaigning. But appearently he or better is team is consulting Karl Rove... So much to "Things will change"...

Content, content, content - That's what the election campaigns should be about!
So much for Do as you would be done by. How low can you go...A presidential candidate with no plan is no good president but someone who will eventually steer his ship out into the open, dangerous waters.

webmaster

This is probably an ignorant comment / question (re Palin) but I thought Alaska was 'another country' - like Canada - obviously not?

Theodomus
Honorary Member

How do you mean that, Bryan?
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

webmaster wrote:This is probably an ignorant comment / question (re Palin) but I thought Alaska was 'another country' - like Canada - obviously not?
Alaska is one of two U.S. states not bordered by another state, Hawaii being the other. Alaska has more coastline than all the other U.S. states combined.[5] It is the only non-contiguous U.S. state on continental North America; about 500 miles (800 km) of Canada separate Alaska from Washington State. Alaska is thus an exclave of the United States. It is technically part of the continental U.S., but is often not included in colloquial use; Alaska is not part of the contiguous U.S., often called "the Lower 48".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska

webmaster

Well, I thought (wrongly obviously) that Alaska wasn't part of the USA - I thought it was a separate country.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Oh, okay.

But I guess if it were Palin wouldn't be able to run for vice president, would she?
Marion

----------

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

webmaster wrote:Why did Obama not choose Hilary for VP, I wonder? I can understand why people like/dislike her - I've felt both. But wouldn't it be better than two men is suits again?
I wonder about that too Bryan - I always "liked" Hillary. I mean - she's much like Angela Merkel our chancler in Germany - not much charm but competent and she knows what she's doing (and if its about such an important job I MUCH rather choose knowledge and experience over charm!) The problem is though that a lot of democrats who supported Hillary in the first place don't want to go for Obama now - and some might even rather go for McCain - bad decision not to take her on - very bad!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Well, I also would have liked her as a president, but I honestly don't think that she would have been capable to step out of the light and be a loyal vice president...
Marion

----------

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Theodomus wrote:Well, I also would have liked her as a president, but I honestly don't think that she would have been capable to step out of the light and be a loyal vice president...
It might have been her decision not to become Vice-President sure - she might not have wanted the job. I still think it was a mistake - so from both of them Hillary and Obama. He would have profitted immensly from her experience. :roll:

webmaster

I want to add a BUT..

BUT, despite those who are 'not so keen' on Obama, as well as it being a historic event to elect a black man - can't see it in Europe yet, no candidates for one thing - it will send out a signal to the rest of the world that the US has changed from the days when black people weren't allowed to mix with whites and were treated as second-class citizens. Surely that is worth celebrating? And despite my reservations, I think he is basically a decent man and I trust him a lot more than Bush. Right now he is under a lot of pressure to say this, that and the other but once he becomes President (better prepare for it as it looks likely) hopefully he will have the courage to do 'the right thing', i.e. stick to his ideals to try and improve life for ordinary people, both in the US and around the world.

Another but.. But I've learned on this forum that you can't change anyone's opinion - at least people you haven't met - so I no longer say anything with the hope of changing anyone's mind. But the US needs a President that will unite the liberals and the conservatives so I hope all the doubters will get behind him and give him a chance if he is elected. Hopefully he will be a unifying force.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

So, is everyone over here in favor for Obama???

I'm not allowed to vote, but if I was this is what I'd do. I'd be going to McCain-Palin. I'm not racist or anything, but I think it would be cool to have a Man-Woman team thing going on. And being that they're Republican, they're pro-life. Which I'm all for, if our family didn't believe that way I would be here today.

I feel sorry for Palin sometimes too. She was getting bashed because her teenage daughter is pregnant. Can anyone honestly say, they don't know someone who was or is a teenager while having a baby? It happens all the time, it's no reason for her to be bashed.

She's also being bashed because of her Assembly Of God religion. I go to an Assembly Of God church, and I'm just fine. This is America for God's sake, freedom of religion.. HELLO!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss