Politics

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Politics

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Theodomus wrote:Megan, nobody is bashing her because her daughter is pregnant.

She just lost credibility because in a nation with one of the - if not THE - highest number of teenage mothers she is against sexual education in school as that according to her isn't necesssary. And then can't explain the facts of life to her own children...
Maybe you're just not hearing it because you're in a different country. All I know is in Kansas, that seems like that's what everyone is talking about. OMG don't vote for Palin, her daughter's pregnant. Oh, well we can't have that. That's a bad example. Just little comments like that going around like that. I didn't realize other people weren't hearing it..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Megan, we're not hearing that in California either, so it's not just foreign countries.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

RE: tonight's debate, I thought it was bad enough when Palin was so disrespectful as to call Senator Biden "Joe" while he referred to her appropriately by her title, Governor Palin, but tonight when McCain called a fellow U.S. Senator and candidate for President "that one" I knew I'd seen a new low. How undignified and unprofessional. :roll:

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I wonder if Doris listens to the Savage? I suppose she has the radio going at times.

Savage says it is inevitable we are in for Afro/Leninism, so prepare for it, and I think he is approx. right.
He decided to discuss the banks instead. There is a growing belief that investors and bankers used public money to aggrandize themselves. After all anything is possible if you can just hand out loans to anyone, like having your own mint. You give public money to them, and they afterwards cut you in. I am sure they were a little more clever than that, but it amounts to about the same thing.

If you tried to pin Doris down to some political view and print it, she might have it passed through Dozoretz beforehand. If she didn't like doing it outright, she would probably blowup a bubble in your direction and pop it with her tongue to display her nonchalance.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

BBC verdict on McCain and Obama TV debate:
"Mr Obama offered a performance reminiscent of a great boxer who knows he is ahead on points and only has to keep dancing backwards around the ring avoiding trouble to win. He didn't land many scoring punches, but then he didn't have to.
Mr McCain, who is now trailing in nearly all the important local and national opinion polls, went into the contest knowing he needed a clear-cut win to change the game.
He duly headed off around the ring on the offensive more than once, but he tended to telegraph his punches and they mostly felt like they missed their target.
At one point he played what is clearly his ace - his relative experience - by saying directly: "There's no time for on-the-job training, my friend."
But in such an intimate forum it felt oddly inappropriate to say it so bluntly - better surely to demonstrate the proposition with a superior grasp of the facts?"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7658253.stm
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

John M wrote:Megan, we're not hearing that in California either, so it's not just foreign countries.
So maybe it's just over here... Maybe us over here are the only ones hearing it. If I had some of my friends post over here, they'd tell you the same thing. That seems like all people are worried about, over here..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

BabeWilliams wrote:
John M wrote:Megan, we're not hearing that in California either, so it's not just foreign countries.
So maybe it's just over here... Maybe us over here are the only ones hearing it. If I had some of my friends post over here, they'd tell you the same thing. That seems like all people are worried about, over here..
They definitely should worry about different subject I'd say .... :roll:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

You're so right, Anke... :(
RE: tonight's debate, I thought it was bad enough when Palin was so disrespectful as to call Senator Biden "Joe" while he referred to her appropriately by her title, Governor Palin, but tonight when McCain called a fellow U.S. Senator and candidate for President "that one" I knew I'd seen a new low. How undignified and unprofessional.
That was also emphasized in the German media. According to them Obama had a points win.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

gerard wrote:Savage says it is inevitable we are in for Afro/Leninism, so prepare for it, and I think he is approx. right.

:roll: While Savage's idiotic remark is the kind of infantile sky-is-falling statement usually best ignored, I'm not going to let this one pass. Democrat does not equal Leninist by the longest stretch of the imagination except to someone so far to the right that their entire world view is off-kilter. And the Afro prefix just proves how racist we Americans still are.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Folks , Ive got to be honest here and tell you that I was never so bored with a debate in all my life. OMG, it was so boring. I love to watch debates , but this was as dull as it could be. :| I am very concernd about my country and I really could not tell you the difference between the two partys by watching last nights debate.They both sounded the same to me. I actually fell asleep during the middle of it :oops: .
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

That's the problem, Suzie, hardly any politician says what he really thinks or wants to do but what he thinks peolple want to hear.

In Germany we just had a state election where the CSU, local branch of the nationwide party CDU and party of our chancelor, lost its absolute majority after about 50 years of ruling without a coalition partner (Very unusual even here in Germany, the Bavarians are special folks. ;)).

What did our chancelor say? In the next national election campaign (next year) they should watch out more for the needs and feelings of the people...

Excuse me?

Why wait with that until the next election campaign?
Why not deal with that now?

Or in 2005 - All parties promised there won't be a rise of the VAT. After the election our grand "great coalition" raised it from 16 to 19%.

And politicians really wonder, why people are fed up with them and their doings?
Marion

----------

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Yup - I think THAT's the same in EVERY country - politicians promise you the WORLD during the elections and then - after they are elected they don't keep a one of them :roll:
If there were elections in Germany right now - I wouldn't know what to vote for - I WOULD NOT KNOW!! I would even think of not going which I think is the worst thing anyone could do - but I don't believe a word from any of them - I just know whom I would never give a vote and those parties get more and more ... :?

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I don't want to open up the discussion on Obama and McCain again, but I have been thinking about something else - In fact I have been thinking about it for a lot of years since I first followed a US election but now it naturally is in the focus again:

What do you Americans think about the election system of yours?

- About the pre-elections which keep your country in a constant state of election campaigns for almost a year now?

- About the fact that for the whole of the year there is hardly any other topic than the elections? I am surely wrong but for me it feels that apart from the financial crisis during the last weeks and a little bit Iraq there was hardly anything else on the political agenda in 2008 in the US?

- About the amount of money spend on the election campaigns?

- About the candidates being "filtered" from head to toe and from their day of birth til today to find any incident in their life that can be used against them?

I am not talking about somebody having been in prison or now stating totally different opinions about some important issue then he did a few years ago.

I mean, come on - Does really anybody care if little Obama wrote in a school paper (was it 4th grade?) that he would like to become president one day or clinton tried grass but "didn't inhale"? Especially as young people try a lot and do change over the years...

- About the fact that not the actual votes count but that whoever wins a state gets all electoral votes of this state which in the worst case might end up in the fact that 49,9 % of all votes in this state are worth nothing?

- About the president who cannot be re-elected - like Bush now - being a lame duck - already before the election and definitely afterwards til January?

- About the fact that it takes 2 or 3 months for the new president to be inaugurated after the election?

That surely had its reason in 1849 when the electoral men had to travel to Washington, but nowadays in times of results being published almost immediately after the voting is closed and in times of planes which take you anywhere in a flash? Doesn't that either lead to kind of a standstill in the country when the old government is either just sitting out their days or on the contrary to it trying to push new laws through as long as they still can?

Here in Germany discussion about coalitions begin 1 or 2 days after the election and if everything goes normal the new government starts working about 2 - 3 weeks later. And I believe it is similar in most (if not all) European countries.

I wonder if there are discussions about this in America and are there maybe efforts to change the voting system? Especially after Gore lost to Bush by court decision?
Marion

----------

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Marion:

I think it's a crime, a shame and a sin that it takes MILLIONS of dollars to run a campaign for President. What could be done with that money?!!! It is a very unhealthy setup. And it needs to be changed.

And the scrutiny of candidates is beyond absurd. And it also means a lot of great people will never try to run as they won't put themselves (and their family) through the meatgrinder in full view of the country and the world. That's a major loss.

In terms of the "lame duck" president, it's not an issue too often. It's more of an issue, like now, when we have a devisive administration. When you have Bush and his cronies with their "my way or the highway" attitude, it's more obvious. But most times there's still work to be done which requires the Executive Branch to work with the other branches to get it done.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Thanks for your answer, John.

What about the electoral system - Are there any initiatives to replace that system with one where every vote counts?
Marion

----------