Ray

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Doris2day

Ray

Unread post by Doris2day »

Hi Ray,I can see by your picture at the side of your posts that you have met Doris. What was it like? Could you tell us abit about meeting her it must have been wonderful;I bet you were thrilled.

Doris2day :D
Miss Day's N01 Fan

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Meeting Doris

Unread post by ray »

I have written on the forum many times of my meetings with Doris and it was the thrill of my life let me tell you. I attended organized functions in 1987 and 1993 and even had a dance with Doris in 1993! I feel like Doris when she says she tells a story over and over in her interviews, and thats how I feel having told the story of meeting Doris! Discovering Doris Day site has a story I sent Stephen about the meeting with Doris in 1993, its under extras. The first time I met Doris was 1987 at the one and only DD convention in Carmel. Howard was there also. There is no one else I really want to meet, Doris was the ultimate because not only is she is Super Star but a super star person. No one else quite like her!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Memories

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray, I agree there is no other "star" I would care one way or another if I met but Doris is the only exception. Having said that I respect her privacy so much even if I did see her (shopping in Carmel, or wherever) I probably would not approach!

Please read what you have said and decide if you have more you could tell us of the experiences of meeting this wonderful Miss Day. What did you expect? How did she look (from pictures pretty good) etc Personally, I cannot get enough of this kind of stuff as very few on this Forum have had (or ever will have) such an experience.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Meeting Doris

Unread post by ray »

Actually Jas I love talking about my meetinf Doris, once I start I start I don't shut up though!LOL! Doris was nicer and more beautiful than I could ever have expected and was so shapely for a Lady in her sixties at the time. That was 1987 at the first DD convention, which was nice because it was smaller and more intimite than the 1993 fund raiser I also attende in 1993 and had a brief dance with Doris.
When Doris walked in the room at that first gathering she really did brighten up the entire room and people were breathless and you could hear a pin drop. Doris was carrying flowers and looked casual chic with a cape and boots! She is a stunner for sure. She had lunch with us ( she didn't care for the food) and we had a question and answer period and ever posed with Doris for individual pictures. At one point Doris looked worried because she couldn't find her bag but Connie Edney, her assistant spottd it and Doris was glad. Funny the things you remember.

Karen T

MEETING DORIS

Unread post by Karen T »

A lady from Australia has also met Doris. I read her full story in the 'friends of Doris Day Society' magazine. It was very interesting. The last time she visited Doris was in 1998. This is a newspaper article from the Australian Doris Day Society's web site.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~almoore/newidea.htm

ray
I danced with Doris!

Things you remember!

Unread post by ray »

Speaking of things that tou remember, while we were eating I presented Doris with a Volunteer Srevices Award from a local animal welfare group here in Rhode Island. She was delighted with the award and I told her my Father and I stayed at the same hotel in 1981 that the convention was. My father passed away a few months before so it was sentimental for me. I was so close to Doris I saw a small purple mark on the side of her lip. I worried a little about that but Doris thank God was fine.
Being near he ocean and the sea brezze can so that to your skin and lips because when I stayed at the Cypress Inn ( Doris;s Hotel as we know) my lips were so chapped that when I got up to pack I washed my face and the coarse facecloth cut my lip somehow and it bled for over an hour. I got scared and so did my Sister-In-Law but it finally stopped. I had to leave blood soaked towels in the bathroom. I wonder what the cleaning people thought.
At that visit I saw Terry in the lobby and he was very friendly and nice, I introduced him to my Sister-in-law. I also visited Joan Barr in ther room for a long chat about Doris. Joan's roomate had an terrible cold and the trip from Austalia tired her out. See!! Once I start I go on and on!!LOL I do feel blessed I have had so many DD experiences.

meeting doris

Unread post by Guest »

Hi Ray, Is Doris's hotel nice? Have you got photos of it.? Did you go to the Quail Lodge? I was thinking about going on holiday to Carmel next year (ive dreamt about it for years) and I was hoping to stay at the Cypress Inn. What is Carmel like?
I would give anything to meet Doris. I received a letter from Doris a couple of days ago thanking me for a gift I had sent her for her birthday. The letter was full of warmth.

Karen T

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

Karen--

That's so nice that Doris sent you a thank you...i sent her a birthday present aswell--i hope she got it!

would you mind telling us what the letter said?...

She's such a great lady, huh?
- Katie

ray
I danced with Doris!

Carmel

Unread post by ray »

Carmel is truely a beautiful place, I would recommend a trip there to anyone. The Cypress Inn is first class elegance with huge sitting room with a fireplace, a cozy bar with DD Movie Posters on the wall and a patio with out door firplaces. The rooms are also very nice.
I love the Carmel village and the beach. Liked the Hog's Breath, Clint Eastwoods place, and the mission Inn. For a little piece of heaven Carmel is the place to visit. No wonder Doris loves it. If you get a chance go!!

Karen T

Carmel

Unread post by Karen T »

Thank you Ray for the wonderful information. I definately hope to visit next year. How lucky you are to have met Doris and even dance with her!! Do you write to her?

Katie, check you personal messages

The letter:- "Dear Karen, How I love the 'cats' and im sooo happy. Thank you so very much for such a darling gift. I love the dogs so much and to receive the cats is terrific. Thank you once again Karen. It was so sweet of you. Love D.D.

Buzz & Mrs Nesbitt said hello!!!"

The letter was handwritten and so was the envelope, it must take Doris ages to reply to everyone (wonderful lady).