Another Doris Contemporary Dies

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Amy2

Another Doris Contemporary Dies

Unread post by Amy2 »

Frances Langford, whose steamy rendition of "I'm in the Mood for Love" captivated soldiers when she was part of Bob Hope's USO tours during World War II, died Monday at 92.

I couldn't post in Celebrity news, because I can't start new topics there.
Anyway, she was a contemporary of Doris during WWII and also travelled with Bob Hope (as did Doris).

Jas1
Honorary Member

GIrl Singer

Unread post by Jas1 »

Wasn't she the singer Bob Hope initially declined Doris for (in the mid/late Forties)? She co-starred in the Glen Millar Story (I think)?

howard
Special Contributer

frances langford

Unread post by howard »

If I remember correctly, Bob Hope felt a certain allegiance to Frances Langford, who had been singing with him for awhile. She was troubled (I believe), so Hope, being a nice guy, didn't want to let her go.

Karen T

Frances Langford

Unread post by Karen T »

She did appear in the Glenn Miller Story

Unread post by Guest »

Frances Langford was major! She was with Bob long before our Doris!

Unread post by guest »

Frances Langford was very involved with environmental issues and in the south Florida community where she lived. The Treasure Coast papers at www.tcpalm.com should still have articles available online. If the link doesn't work the local paper is the vero beach press journal.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Permissions

Unread post by webmaster »

I couldn't post in Celebrity news, because I can't start new topics there.
I've relaxed permissions in all areas (except members) - imposed as a result of mad people wanting attention! :twisted:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Linda

Unread post by Linda »

This is a question for the "guest." Did Frances Langford live in Vero Beach, Florida? Thanks for any info concerning my question.

webmaster

Frances Langford

Associated Press: "Frances Langford, actress-singer poses in front of a poster of her from 1936 at the Dolphin Bar and Shrimp Post restaurant Thursday, Jan. 11, 2002 in Jensen Beach, Fla. Langford, whose steamy rendition of 'I'm in the Mood for Love' captivated soldiers stationed overseas on Bob Hope's tours during World War II, died Monday."

BIOGRAPHY:
http://www.enter.net/~rocketeer/13ththrush.html

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

The two posts from 'guest' above are from two different people. I am the second one. I Didn't want to spend Bryan's bandwidth with a lengthy discussion.

I only wanted to suggest that those interested in additional information on Ms. Langford's career, life and philanthropic activities might find the articles in the Treasure Coast/Palm Beach area newspapers of interest. www.TCPALM.com is the online version of those newspapers. I believe they require you to register to view articles, but there is no charge and no spam.

As Ms. Langford was a longtime resident of the region, the coverage in the region's newspapers was quite a bit more extensive than (inter)-nationally.

Linda-I don't have a definite answer to your question.
Ms. Langford's long time home was in Rio (Florida), which I think is maybe 30 miles south of Vero Beach. I understand she was a Florida native.

webmaster

Bandwidth

I Didn't want to spend Bryan's bandwidth with a lengthy discussion.
Nice of you to be so considerate, Nelson but the site has unlimited bandwidth now - and no restriction on posting images anymore - so there is no need to worry.

Back to the topic...

DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Hi

Unread post by DorisDayFanatic »

Yes R.I.P. Frances Langford.

She was an excellent singer. I recentl heard her version of "I'm in the mood for love" I can see why her version is so popular.

Linda

Unread post by Linda »

Thanks Nelson for the information.

Linda :D