Hi I'm new

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Its2Good2BeTrue

Hi I'm new

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Hi, I joined just yesterday and I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Dominique but my friends just call me Domi. I'm almost 34 years old and live in Ludwigshafen am Rhein, near Heidelberg and Frankfurt in South Germany. I'm originally from North Germany, near Bremen, the city with the Town Musicians.

I'm a globetrotter and I've lived and worked in Germany, France (Périgueux, near Bordeaux) and Ireland (Dublin). I'm a computer person and I love Macs and UNIX. I love nature, visiting castles, crossword and jigsaw puzzles, old-fashioned board games (such as Ludo, Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit) photography, music.

My high school held a model contest when I was younger and the theme was "fashion of the 50s and 60s" and I got to wear some pretty tight stuff :lol: , such as tight black short dress with black boots and a short pink dress with squares cut into the dress right above the breast area so you could see skin. :shock: :mrgreen:

I love animals and I have a pet at my parents home, a Calico cat, her name is Kathi and she's 9 years old. My beloved dog Sheila died in June this year at the age of 13, she was a German shepherd/Rottweiler mix. I lost two other cats, Kuschel and John Boy in 1998 and 1999 at the age of 13 and 16. They have long been gone but still are in my heart, especially John Boy. He used to stay with me when I was sick and never left my bed. I truly miss him.

As for Doris Day. That's why I'm here after all, right?! :lol: I love the movies Doris Day did with Rock Hudson, always have, always will. They had such great chemistry. I so wish they would have made more movies together. I have all three movies on DVD. I also have "That Touch of Mink" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "Midnight Lace" in my collection being a Cary Grant and James Stewart fan as well. I bought two of Doris cds when I was younger.

I've never been to Carmel but I was close when I was in the US in 2000.

Good to be here.

Domi

rt

Re: Hi I'm new

Unread post by rt »

Hi Domi

Welcome to the board, you'll find a lot of animal and DD lovers here. I love scrabble, jigsaws, visiting castles and photography too.

My parents lost our beloved black lab last autum, unfortunately my lifestyle does'nt permit me to have a pet. May be some day in the future.....

Rum

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Welcome Doninique.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Thanks for the warm welcome, you two :D

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Hello from a fellow German, Domi!

Well, you still have a lot of Doris-movies to get to know - I am just doing that and enjoying it tremendously. Many of them I have never seen on German TV, and by now I prefer the original anyway. ;)

And the music.... Just the most wonderful voice

I have two dogs of my own and am active in animal welfare, though mostly through my website and not by actively placing the animals. If you are looking for a dog or cat - Let me know... :lol:

I hope you're having a lot of fun here!

Marion
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Hi Domi!!!!
I'm also from Germany, also from the south part (near Stuttgart) and almost your age :mrgreen:
Love Doris Day too but that goes without saying I guess :lol:
Welcome to the board - I bet you will enjoy it here ..
have fun

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Hi, Domi, Its so nice to have you here on the forum.We love it here and im sure you will also. I love your avatar ... :D ENJOY
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I have a question for all of you in Germany... It probably sounds really funny to you, but I want to know anyway..

Don't they speak German in Germany?? I mean, is it like required over there for you all to learn how to speak English??? I mean, you all are typing in English obviously. And it's understandable, usually more understandable then they way most of us over here type.. So, what'd the deal exactly??

And, welcome to the forum Domi!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Hi Domi,

I'm glad to welcome a fellow animal lover and Doris Day fan!

Megan you are so funny. I have a friend from Germany and she speaks German, English, and French. She says they learn English when they are very young- it is like a second language to them. It makes me feel really stupid.
The Doris Day Show

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Megan, we at our age started learning English in 5th grade - Nowadays they even start in 3rd grade, at least in my state. My nephew even learned a few words like colours in kindergarten already, although in a very playful way.

In 7th grade then a second language is added, in my case Latin. And in 11th grade I started French. From 9th grade I would have had the chance to start Old Greek, but I didn't choose that (Had enough trouble with Latin ..:roll:).

I myself did really really bad in English for the first two years, but then luckily I got a teacher who really did it for me and after that I have been pretty good in that class. In addition we had a student exchange programm with Bristol, UK - Just 2 weeks, but it did motivate seeing that the language is actually spoken elsewhere and having to get around with it - and I spent a year as an exchange student in the US after 11th grade.

No bragging, but because we really learned the grammar from the scratch I was the best in my english class in the US - only the poetry from the 18th or 19th century (Walt Whitman etc.) always got me. :D

And no offense, but honestly, in Germany we don't take grammar and vocabulary tests in our German class in 11th grade anymore... ;) And what really really surprised me back then: Going to the US I had had one year of French - In the US I continued with French 5 (!) and only started on new things for me after a few weeks in the term...

Actually I hope for your sake that the way of teaching a language in the US has changed over the past years...

Edit:
I was re-reading what I wrote and it does sound a bit arrogant, doesn't it? :roll:

Sorry, wasn't meant that way at all - And my experiences in the US I have made 18 years ago now. I am sure lots of things have changed.

And naturally there are many Germans who don't have a talent for languages and aren't interested in it. My sister probably could get around in England, but she never did anything for her English skills after school ended and you surely can't compare her English to mine, having been and lived in several English speaking countries.

The Germans you'll find on here are the ones that are interested in English or at least are prepared to cope with it to do the things they are interested in.
Marion

----------

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I know Marion, it is quite shameful in the UK/ Ireland the lack of [other] languages. The rest of Europe put us to shame!

rt

Unread post by rt »

One of my classmates in my french class said this: "If you speak several languages you are multi-lingual, if you speak two - you are bi-lingual, if you speak only one - you are either English or American!" :lol:

Rum

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Well, it is a fact that you get around with English almost everywhere. So who knows what the sitution would be like if German or French were the most spoken language (except probably chinese)?
Marion

----------

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

rt wrote:One of my classmates in my french class said this: "If you speak several languages you are multi-lingual, if you speak two - you are bi-lingual, if you speak only one - you are either English or American!" :lol:

Rum

Rum , that is so cute and so very true lol... :wink:
suzie

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

FACT: Americans really do not make enough of an effort to truly speak other languages.

FACT: The teaching of language in most schools in the U.S. is deplorable. Nothing has changed. Take a kid right through Language V, then send him to the country of the language, and he barely speaks anything.

I took a group of 35 students to Europe (about 15 years ago). Among other places, we visited France, Germany, and Italy. All of these students had studied either French, Italian, Spanish or German. I had ONE...i REPEAT ONE....student who could converse everywhere with the natives..She had taken Spanish.
Thank God for that!!!! (and for her very unusually good teacher!!!)

From what I can see today, not much has changed, I am sorry to say.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

WELCOME Dominique!! You will love it here. Many, many nice people and very knowledgeable about Doris!!

I will tell you that Theodamus (Marion) speaks perfect English! We have spoken on the phone many times and I'm sure she won't mind me sharing the fact, that as a student in the US, she excelled in English -- first in her class. I have three years of French and cannot speak anywhere near fluent French...goes to show...American education is seriously lacking -- way behind.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hi Domi! Welcome aboard! Glad you found us here. 8)

And, I too have to agree that the state of language instruction in the U.S. is deplorable. If anything, it's gotten worse since you left Marion. :cry:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I'm learning Spanish right now, it's my second year. Everyone says Spanish is the best language for us to learn over here, people who are bi-lingual usually get paid more and get better jobs. And it should look pretty good on my college application! I don't think I'd go as far to say I'm fluent in Spanish. But I am picking it up pretty quickly, and I get the main idea of everything.

Hey John, do you live anywhere near Vanguard???
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Diane, don't make me blush... :oops:

Far from perfect and I definitely wasn't on today's level when I left school. And still making mistakes as you can all see here. ;)

John, that makes me sad to hear. Back then I felt that much time was wasted by playing silly games, sing songs etc. in French class. I mean, I personally didn't mind as I basically just took a break and continued French afterwards in Germany, but for the other kids I felt rather bad.

Megan, if you ever get the chance speak to Spanish natives and go to Mexico or another Spanish speaking country. That will bring you a lot!
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

Wow, what a busy thread! :D Thank you all for the welcome. What a nice little international family.

I see this thread has turned into a language thread, don't worry, I don't mind. As a matter of fact I enjoy these kind of conversations a lot, you can learn so much more about each other by speaking with natives. Believe it's much better than learning from the local media.

Nowadays, kids start learning English in kindergarten, I believe it's the second or third year and in my opinion it's not too early. Kids at this age usually don't have as many problems as older kids have with the grammar and the pronounciation.

There is a public elementary school near Ludwigshafen am Rhein where they run a multilingual school system, they teach in German, English and French and this school is very popular among parents as you can imagine. My brother has a little baby girl and he told me that when she gets old enough to go to school, she's four months old now, she'll go to one of those international school where they teach the kids in German and at least English.

English is so important nowadays, especially in business and when you travel. As Marion said you get around with English almost everywhere but if you speak another language, for instance Spanish when you visit Spain the natives will open up more and be more friendly if you make an effort to speak their language. I like to say nobody is perfect and we don't have to have perfect pronounciation when we speak a foreign language, as long as you speak it as often as you can...practice makes perfect. I kept telling myself that when I was in France cause I used to think before I spoke. What's so bad about that you say? Not much really but it gets in the way when you're right in the middle of a conversation. :lol:

Germans usually make an effort to go for perfect pronounciation but there are some who don't give a you know what :D to make it sound right and this upsets me cause I know they could do better than that. As for my pronounciation, I was told by some guy in Houston that I have a Texas drawl. Don't believe him. I do have more of an American English than British English, yes, but it's definitely not Texas drawl.

I also speak French and know some Spanish. We don't really need Spanish here, French is more important since France is so close. I can drive to France and be there in an hour. :D I started English in 5th grade and French in 7th grade. That was in the mid 80s. A lot has changed since. I swear when I lived in Ireland I forgot how to speak German. I used to call my parents in Germany and they kept telling me that I didn't remember most of the German words. Took me about half a year to get back into German. Strange but true.

When I was in the States in 1994, Floyds Knobs, IN near Louisville I went to high school for about three weeks and I remember they used to teach German, French and Spanish. I joined one of the German classes and I didn't think it was that bad. They took us to an elementary school one day and the teacher asked us to speak German and the kids thought we were talking awfully fast. :lol:

Speaking of languages and French. I know that some Americans used to think that the French don't particularly like them. I didn't have that impression when I was in Paris about two years ago. I didn't hear one single bad word. I guess it's all about how you are and interact with the natives. Oh and if you like the Alsace in France, make sure you visit the cities Strasbourg, Colmar and Obernai.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/ ... 0_5670.jpg

Oh one more thing about me...I co-wrote a book about the UNIX elements in Mac OS X with a dear friend from England about three years ago called "Mac OS X Unix 101 Byte-Sized Projects".

And these are fairly recent pictures of me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/ ... 5-2008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/ ... -2008b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/ ... h2008b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/ ... urbach.jpg

Wow, I did write a lot!!! :mrgreen: Hope you survived.

Domi

Theodomus
Honorary Member

As for my pronounciation, I was told by some guy in Houston that I have a Texas drawl. Don't believe him. I do have more of an American English than British English, yes, but it's definitely not Texas drawl.
Hehe, the Germans keep telling me I have an American accent, the Americans say I have a "cute" German accent. :lol:

The second is definitely correct especially as I didn't speak much English for a longer time until recently. I really have to get into it again.

Domi, you'll forgive me if I don't buy your book??? :lol:
Marion

----------

rt

Unread post by rt »

Hi Marion

I'd go with "cute German"! :lol: :lol:

Hi Domi

Nice pics. :)

Rum

Its2Good2BeTrue

Theodomus wrote:
Hehe, the Germans keep telling me I have an American accent, the Americans say I have a "cute" German accent. :lol:

The second is definitely correct especially as I didn't speak much English for a longer time until recently. I really have to get into it again.

Domi, you'll forgive me if I don't buy your book??? :lol:
Sure, I'll forgive you, Marion. No need to buy it if you don't have a Mac or are not interested into the UNIX part of it :lol:

Accents are funny. Would be oh so boring without them. I love it when Americans speak English, don't you? :D

Rum, thanks :)

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Hush, Rum!!

:D
Marion

----------

rt