US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Who is going to the next President of the United States?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2008, 08:41

Barack Obama
50%
John McCain
41%
I'm not voting for either of them!
9%

Total votes: 22

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Unread post by suzie »

Ellen , that is too funny and sadly true as well. :wink:
suzie

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

We're all a bit 'post-politics' over here, I don't know anyone who belongs to a political party any more. Or 'very disillusioned' might be another way of putting it. The first time I voted was for Margaret Thatcher, thinking a woman might be a bit more 'trustworthy' - got that one wrong - her policies caused a lot of social unrest and led to the 'poll tax riots' in the centre of London, which prompted her party to give her the boot - there was dancing in the streets this time!

Fast forward to Blair, promising 'real change' and social justice for all - and we were taken in again - it was more 'real spin' and justice for those who could afford it. Now nobody believes a word any politician says. Sometimes I vote Green, Liberal - or for the Monster Raving Loony Party - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEbOhUdZik :) - but I'd vote for anyone if they inspired me.

Maybe I'm being 'fooled again' , or desperate to believe we can have a better, more caring world - the kind Doris would like to live in (and she's not 'a Republican', she's a free spirit who makes her own mind up) but somehow Obama inspires me - he's different, more human, and I like what he says - I'm willing to believe he could make a huge difference - let's give him a chance. What have we got to lose? (trust me, Mary Anne, he's not a terrorist and he doesn't want to kill babies!)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Ellen Arden, I was so surprised when that you would refer to our president as a figurehead. It's true congress is important, but the president has the ultimate power - he can declare war on another country, and he doesn't have to ask anyone's permission. He also can veto any bill that congress tries to pass.

Yes, there is propaganda against Obama, but there is propaganda the other side too. Do you really think Palin is naive and stupid, as portrayed by Tina Faye? She probably has more experience than Obama.

Now for my vote. I have a loved one that serving in Iraq right now. If a nominee promised to remove troops immediately, I would vote my heart and vote for that person. The economy isn't very good and my mother can't afford good health care. Make a guess who I am voting for.
The Doris Day Show

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Theodomus wrote:sounded to me as if you made up you mind based on these - what did John call them? - "tidbits".
No, I didn't mean it like that..lol It seems my comment has brought on a lot of confusion. I meant, it taught me a lot about both men. I began to see Obama in a different light, I like him more than I did before watching his biography. When I chose who I wanted for President, I looked at their record. Like their past experiences, which was also shown in both biographies. And I picked who I agreed with most. I just agree with what John McCain says, more than I do with what Barack Obama says..

I'm sure I'll have more questions from Marion after typing a whole paragraph..lol :lol: Ask away!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

Debbi Austen wrote:Ellen Arden, I was so surprised when that you would refer to our president as a figurehead. It's true congress is important, but the president has the ultimate power - he can declare war on another country, and he doesn't have to ask anyone's permission. He also can veto any bill that congress tries to pass.

Yes, there is propaganda against Obama, but there is propaganda the other side too. Do you really think Palin is naive and stupid, as portrayed by Tina Faye? She probably has more experience than Obama.

Now for my vote. I have a loved one that serving in Iraq right now. If a nominee promised to remove troops immediately, I would vote my heart and vote for that person. The economy isn't very good and my mother can't afford good health care. Make a guess who I am voting for.
Whoa! Please do not put words in my mouth or in my comments. I never said anyone was stupid. I have not given any indication positive or negative towards any of the four candidates.

If I have anything negative to say it is that there are way too many people in both parties who are willing to overlook anything for the sake of "the party". I have reached a point where I can't stand either party.
Everyone is making promises which, if looked at logically and in a non-partisan (sp?) manner, a person could figure out they are promises which cannot be kept.

This country is reaching a depression level recession and all I am seeing is the Reps and Dems constantly pointing the finger at the other party saying it's all the other guy's fault. Bush did this wrong; Clinton did that wrong. They both did things wrong. Now somebody please step up and admit that their candidate was wrong. That would be the first step towards making things right.

webmaster

I have a loved one that serving in Iraq right now.
Thanks for sharing that, Debbie - I feel humbled by that comment as I tend to think of it as 'something that is happening to someone else' - or 'out there somewhere'' - it makes me feel I should be more careful about what I say about Iraq.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I have 2 people close to my heart in Iraq.. Well, 1 just got back and is visiting.. But I'm sure he'll have to go back soon :(
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I'm sorry you misunderstood me Ellen Arden. Yes, the first paragraph was directed at your comment, but the rest of it was just a general comment i made.
The Doris Day Show

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

And I picked who I agreed with most. I just agree with what John McCain says, more than I do with what Barack Obama says..

I'm sure I'll have more questions from Marion after typing a whole paragraph..lol
Not at all Megan. That is they way it should be - Whatever your decision is in the end. ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Here is a link to the United States Constitution http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charte ... cript.html
In particular, Article I, Section 7 states "Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States: If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law... " i.e. if the President vetoes any bill, the Congress may override the veto with a two-thirds majority.
Article I, Section 8 states "The Congress shall have Power ...To declare War" No where in the Constitution is the President given the power to declare war.

Here is another website directed specifically towards the Constitution, the Executive Branch and war powers.
http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/200 ... ar-powers/, a portion of which reads "All Presidents that have waged war without a Congressional declaration, including Presidents Truman, Johnson, Clinton and Bush, have broken the law; the law specifically stated in the Constitution...", the remainder of which is very interesting reading.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

You are absolutely right, Ellen Arden, if two thirds majority of congress disagree with the president's veto they can override it. But it is not as easy as it sounds. First of all, congress members have to be present to over turn a veto. And remember, congress is made up of many political parties. There are many members of congress that aren't going to want to override the veto. It's just like John M. said, the president controls 1/3 of congresses power.

AS far as in a case of war,I don't usually quote Wikipedia, but in this case they are correct:

"Despite the constitutional requirement that Congress declare war, in practice, formal Declarations of War have occurred only upon prior request by the President. And contrary to the popular opinion that the framers of the Constitution intended that the President cannot engage in war without an act of Congress, in fact the framers chose the final wording with the intent of "leaving to the Executive the power to repel sudden attacks" without the explicit approval of Congress." It's set up that way so that if there is an attack on the US, the president can act quickly in an emergency."
The Doris Day Show

joe

Unread post by joe »

On last Sunday morning's news programs, it was conceded by a panel of political pundits that the election was essentially over and Obama would be the next president.

Yesterday, on a financial news program, it was stated that Wall St. (meaning the stock market) has already assumed an Obama election.

I'm in Florida where the voter turnout for early voting has resulted in multi-hour-long lines at the polls. As far as I can tell from TV news, it's very close.

For my part, should Obama be elected, I will be pleased that the U.S. has finally put behind the idea that a black person could never be elected president. It's also amazing to see that voter turnout is soaring (as it did during the primaries) after many years of a continuous decrease in the number of registered voters actually voting in any election.

My sympathies will go to whoever wins the presidency. The U.S. has so many really hard problems going on simultaneously that I don't see how one person can handle it all. The near collapse of the global financial system shows that much of the power today resides with the Treasury Secretary and the Chairman of the Federal Reserve System. The power of the president is very limited in this particular area.

Both candidates are very capable men. I don't feel the same way about either vice presidential candidate. Finally, Obama is not Muslim, is not an Arab, and is not a terrorist. Even John McCain agrees with that statement.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Unless the make up of the congress changes with the election, nothing will change, no matter who is elected. Sorry to say, but that's the bottom line...

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Thank you mikeydv. I am beginning to realize that nobody, no-bod-ie, has read the constitution since they were required to do so in high school. The president does not, repeat not, control "1/3 of congresses power".

There are three parts which make up the governing body of the United States; the legistative (congress), the executive (the president) and the judicial (the supreme court). Each is independent of the other. This is the very reason the United States came about. The framers of the constitution did not want one man to control the entire country. Now, if the members of congress do not have the guts, or common sense, to override a presidential veto of a potentially worthwhile bill, then it is the loss of this nation to have elected such a congress.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

EllenArden, with all due respect, not only have I frequently read the Constitution, but I have also read and re-read The Federalist Papers and several books which annotate and breakdown the Constution. One of the best is "The Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constution" by Linda Monk. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to further understand the document and it's history.

And for the record Ellen and Debbi: I did NOT say the President controls 1/3 of Congress' power. I said "By design, the President has 1/3 of the government's power," by which I meant to illustrate that he is not, as EllenArden said, basically a figurehead.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Thank you, John M for the book recommendation. I will certainly look for this at the library. Although it's been some time, I, too, have read the Federalist Papers. American History has always been fascinating to me.

I still stand by my belief that more attention needs to be paid to the people who are elected to congress. But, that too, is a wonderous thing, as we are all entitled to our opinion.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I'm sorry I misquoted you John, it was accidental.

Ellenarden, I admit that saying that the president can declare war without anyone's permission was not a good example of the president's power. However the fact remains that US presidents on over 125 occasions, have declared war without prior express military authorization from Congress.

What I should have said is the President as commander-in-chief of the armed forces and enumerates powers specifically granted to the President by Article Two of the Constitution. This includes the power to sign into law or veto bills passed by both houses of Congress.

I have always agreed that elections in congress just as important.
The Doris Day Show

webmaster

Only a couple of days to go now - Obama has a 1 point lead on here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/a ... uction.stm

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Did you listen to the fake call a Franco-Canadian radio moderator made to Palin, pretending to be Nicolas Sarkozy?

I personally felt that was very embarassing à ka "We loooove you, John McCain and I" and laughing about a comment how fun it is to "shoot these animals" etc...

If you scroll down a little here you can listen to it:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0 ... 25,00.html
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Theodomus wrote: If you scroll down a little here you can listen to it:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0 ... 25,00.html
:D I'll be a careful shot...well, we know what her shooting skills are like (thinking about the animals she shot on the palinaspresident.com site). :P

Since we're having fun, http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... cle=587786

and some more: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... 36657.html

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Bryan, The new banner is the best yet. You are so cool. I wish the whole world was full of bryan james'. 8) You asked a little further back in this topic, that could or would we as americans be ABLE to back and support our new president,even if it was not the person I had voted for. My own personal feeling on that is, yes. I would give my new president the respect that his office deserves .I am more than willing to have him be a huge success,because so much is at stake here. I will support him as long as he also respects his office,and dose not take advantage or abuse the power vested in him by the people of this great country.
This election is most likely the most important election in the nations history.The entire world waits to see the results, as their future also hangs in the balance. I hope every man and woman able to vote does vote.
I agree with mike ,who said that "either way change will come" and my friends,change is most certainly needed.
.We cant have this same ole,you wash my back and i,ll wash yours way of thinking and yes even running the country in that same fashion. Yes, I will support my new president and hope and pray he dose this job better than he has ever done anything in his entire life. :|
suzie

webmaster

Thanks Suzie! 8)

I'm glad you feel you are willing to support whoever is elected - that's how it should be. I was just hearing that 'the rest of the world', especially us in Europe, is hoping that it will be Obama - you can see it from our point of view, after two terms of the Republicans in office, which has taken us to where we are now, it's going to look like more of the same if McCain is elected - he says it won't be and that will be for him to show the world if he becomes President.

I don't think you can trust the polls showing Obama in the lead - many Americans may draw back from electing a black President at the last moment.

Interesting times!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

One question:

Do you get off from work to go voting or do you have to take a day off?

It's so strange, here all elections are on a sunday, so it seems a little odd to have an election in the middle of the week.

Did you see the appearance of McCain, his wife and Tina Fey/Palin on Saturday Night Life - I thought it was great, he was really funny. (Though I thought it strange that he kind of supports the fun people are making of Palin?)

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0 ... 22,00.html
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Since you brought up the Spiegel, Marion...here's what others have to say on the two candidates:
In 2008, two candidates face off that represent nearly a perfect contrast between experience and exuberance. John McCain is plugging his image as the veteran politician with a discerning and balanced sense of judgment. He has very little choice. At his age, 72, he can't sell himself as a passionate reformer. The boyish inexperienced candidate is Barack Obama, who represents the next generation, which feels that it is time to replace baby boomers such as Clinton and Bush.

In a historic sense, McCain follows in the footsteps of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the general who became president at a time when his country had grown weary of war. McCain's main reference for the job is the Vietnam War, especially his suffering as a prisoner of war in Hanoi. He sees himself as an American patriot who always puts his country first -- yet, paradoxically, in an act of ultimate personal ambition, he would now like to become president at a ripe old age.

By contrast, Obama portrays himself as the political heir to the Kennedys and Martin Luther King, Jr. His credentials are also based on his biographical background, a black father and a white mother, raised in Hawaii and Indonesia, with roots in Kenya. The legacy that he would like to represent aims to achieve reconciliation between blacks and whites. If he is elected president, he will be living proof of the long road that America has traveled since the murders of the Kennedy brothers and King. His candidacy alone is a groundbreaking event in the history of this country.
more, here: http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 36,00.html

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes, marion we do have to work on election day. I know I do and most people I know do as well.Some of our schools do close, why ,I dont know because they cant vote anyway. I live in the country and vote in an old fashioned one room school house,and I must tell you that people stand in very long lines , sometimes for hours to cast their vote. I always find this a very moving situation, because I love my country so much and want the very best for it and her people. You will never hear me complain about the long lines as I consider it a privilage to be able to vote my choise. As for the shows like SNL, and others who make fun of those running, its not offensive to us the people, its kind of cute and lets face it ,some of the skits are soooo funny.You cant take everything so personaly,as it comes with the territory, if something like a skit on SNL bothers you, you dont have what it takes to be president. :D
suzie