US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Who is going to the next President of the United States?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2008, 08:41

Barack Obama
50%
John McCain
41%
I'm not voting for either of them!
9%

Total votes: 22

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Re: US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Unread post by Theodomus »

Well, he did participate, so I guess it's okay to laugh. ;)

Is there a reason that election is on a normal work day? Wouldn't voter turnout be higher if it was on a Saturday or Sunday?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I really have no idea why we vote on tuesday. Maybe mike or john may know the reason why. It would be okay by me if they held the election on a weekend, its a great idea. 8) Im hearing this may be the largest voter turn out ever. Its so 8)
suzie

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Here's a pretty succint explanation as to why it was set up on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November:
For much of U.S. history, America was a predominantly agrarian society. Lawmakers considered their convenience when choosing a November date for elections – after harvest time but before winter weather made travel difficult – as the easiest month for farmers and rural workers to go to the polls.

Because many rural residents lived a significant distance from the polls, Tuesday, rather than Monday, was selected to allow those who attended Sunday church services to begin travel after worship and still reach their destinations in time to cast their votes.

Lawmakers wanted to prevent Election Day from falling on the first of November for two reasons. First, November 1 is All Saints Day, a day on which Roman Catholics are obligated to attend Mass. Also, merchants typically balanced the accounts from the preceding month on the first of each month.
One of the main reasons we keep it on Tuesday is of course in deferrence to the very large Christian and Jewish populations here. Many devout Christians prefer it not fall on their Sabbath (Sunday) and any Orthodox (or stronger) Jews would be actually barred from voting on their Sabbath (Saturday) according to their religious strictures. Plus, more people have to be out and about on workdays anyway. We're all guarateed time off from work to vote, so it's not a big deal. I bet less people would go vote on a weekend, even without religious affiliations. Sadly, most Americans on their way to beach or the movies would just keep on driving past the polling place. :?
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Theodomus wrote:Do you get off from work to go voting or do you have to take a day off?
We don't here, we don't get out of school either.. You know, we didn't even get out on Columbus Day.. We're always in school or working out here..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Ah, thanks for the explanation, John. :)
Marion

----------

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

US rivals in final dash for votes
The US presidential rivals are to spend the final day of campaigning in the race for the White House criss-crossing the country in one last push for votes.

Republican John McCain will speak in seven states from Florida in the east to his own state, Arizona, in the west. Democrat Barack Obama will travel to Florida, North Carolina and Virginia - all won by the Republicans in 2004.
After one of the costliest campaigns in history, one of the men will on Tuesday be voted the 44th American president. Both camps are keenly aware of the need to get voters out in the states that polls suggest remain in the balance.

Despite more gloomy news from the opinion polls, Mr McCain has appeared more relaxed in recent days, and his campaign believes he is staging something of a comeback.
In Pennsylvania on Sunday, the Arizona senator told supporters in Wallingford: "We are going to win in Pennsylvania, we are going to win this election - I sense it and I know it.

"The Mac is back" McCain tells supporters. "We are going to win here and we are going to bring real change to Washington." The BBC's Matthew Price said Mr McCain had been focusing on conservative Democrats and independent-minded voters who lived in economically depressed areas of the state. The Vietnam veteran later appeared beside baseball star Curt Schilling at a crowded town hall meeting in Peterborough, New Hampshire. "I come tonight to the independents, Republicans, Democrats, libertarians, vegetarians, asking you to let me go on one more mission," he said.

But the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national survey suggests Mr McCain is trailing by seven points, while a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll puts Mr Obama ahead by 50% to 44%.
Both campaigns have thousands of volunteers working flat-out manning phone banks, handing out brochures and knocking on doors ahead of Tuesday's election.

Under the Electoral College system, states are apportioned votes based on their population, the biggest being California with 55 votes. Polls suggest the six closest state races on election day will be in Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Nevada and Ohio.
The BBC's Justin Webb, in Washington, says millions of Americans - perhaps a quarter of the total turnout - have already voted early, and that now the final rallies are in sight.
Some 130 million Americans are expected to cast a vote, in a higher turnout than in any election since 1960, our correspondent adds.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americ ... 704869.stm
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

To quote my brother who I just had a chat with about the US election to see who he favors: "You can't possibly vote for anybody but Obama because McCain would be a joke."

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Okay, that is a matter of opinion.

There are surely people who are in favour of whatever McCain stands for and if that is the majority it is to be accepted and respected.

For me the major problem is that the man is 72 years old and not physically fit - That Palin would become President is far more likely than in other elections and that is what's really scary for me...
Marion

----------

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

:o :oops: I just found out marion, that we at ford do indeed have election day off. They said they wanted to be sure evryone got out and voted. I had been off for a few days and didnt know that they had decided to take election day off. :shock: Thats a good thing....
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Hey, great for you! :-)
Marion

----------

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Well I'll get my two cents in on this topic. I really am not happy with either one. Frankly , I just don't trust either of them, more Obama than McCain.

I am voting for Doris

Carol

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Good choice carol, doris would make sure that the country is pet friendly, thats for sure .. :wink: I think the whole world would be a much better place if our girl was president :wink: I would be able to trust that she would do what she would say she was going to do , Right ? Doris is a woman of her word. :D
suzie

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Do we have enough time and enough fans in the US to do a write-in ballot?????

Daisy June

Can We vote more than once for her?

webmaster

I think Doris would get all of our votes! :)

Here's a brief message from Doris as we countdown to the election: :wink:

http://www.bryanj.co.uk/enjoy-yourself.html

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Hehe, I just love that scene *gg*

This is quite interesting:

People with an i-phone can download a little gimmick-application which shows a candle flame. They can choose if it should burn blue for Obama or red for McCain and their choice is show on an interactive map via GPS. Check it out for the different countries (text is German but scroll down for the pictures)

http://www.spreeblick.com/2008/10/31/ip ... ter-quasi/
Marion

----------

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

carol_bcd wrote:Can We vote more than once for her?
There's an old adage that is supposed to have originated in Chicago with Al Capone:
"Vote early and vote often" :D

Daisy June

I think Doris would be a great President, she has my vote tomorrow.
Writing her in.
Carol

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Thanks for the clip Bryan.
The Doris Day Show

webmaster

Thanks Debbi - a bit of light relief!

Above is my (banner) prediction for who will be the next President of the United States - hope I don't have to eat my words - if I do I won't be alone!

I promise that normal service will soon be resumed! Have a nice (voting) day to all our friends in the USA.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Hi hope you're right, Bryan - But better not hand out the plates to early, eh? ;)
Marion

----------

webmaster

Obama has a 20% lead on here so he's bound to win! :)

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I hope Obama wins for president! It sure will be an exciting day here in Pennsylvannia! :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

We were talking about the president issue in church on Sunday. I have come to a conclusion.. I am not worried about who will win the presidency.. This is in God's hands, and no matter who wins God is still in charge. Not Obama or McCain, but God.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes, thats right megan. Hopefully by this time tommarow we will know for sure who our next president will be. :D I will tell you that I have decided to vote around 10:00 am, hopeing for somewhat smaller lines. What an exciting and historical election this is. I live in the mid west and its supposed to be perfect weather here today around 70 degrees and sunny,a great day for standing in line if you have to. :wink: Thank you bryan and everyone who has wished our country well, I wish you all the very best as well. We are all in this life togeather right ? :wink: I will be leaving to vote in an hour or so, so I will let you all know how the local turn out is when I get back.
suzie