US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Who is going to the next President of the United States?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2008, 08:41

Barack Obama
50%
John McCain
41%
I'm not voting for either of them!
9%

Total votes: 22

Its2Good2BeTrue

Re: US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

BabeWilliams wrote:We were talking about the president issue in church on Sunday. I have come to a conclusion.. I am not worried about who will win the presidency.. This is in God's hands, and no matter who wins God is still in charge. Not Obama or McCain, but God.
Then why go vote for any of the candidates? Let God decide. He can mark the appropriate box. :mrgreen: :lol:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

BSDDomi wrote:
BabeWilliams wrote:We were talking about the president issue in church on Sunday. I have come to a conclusion.. I am not worried about who will win the presidency.. This is in God's hands, and no matter who wins God is still in charge. Not Obama or McCain, but God.
Then why go vote for any of the candidates? Let God decide. He can mark the appropriate box. :mrgreen: :lol:

now wouldn't THAT be an interesting election :D :D

I think its the easy way out to say "its all in God's hands anyway" - I rather think that God gave us the BRAIN to think for ourselves ... and USE it accordingly - but on the other hand I suppose that's where all the "trouble" started :roll:

I'll probably stay up all night and watch the elections ... it'll start 1.00 am for us .... this is an to important night to sleep :D
OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT !
oh by the way - I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the current banner - GREAT BRYAN ... hope it'll be true :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Wow, I have never seen such long voting lines.I got there about 9:50 and voted and left the building at 11:30. What a great turn out.I have to say that I had a young man standing in front of me in line id say he was about 27 and I had a little old couple standing behind me they must have been at least in their upper 80s. Needless to say, I let the elderly couple go ahead of me, and everyone was so kind and patient, and everyone thinks that so much hangs in the balance, that they showed up by the droves to make sure their vote was cast. When I first drove down the road that leads to the building I vote in, I was moved to tears as I looked on the lines of people parked WAY down the road, and walking almost a mile just to get to the building , People of all walks of life stood an hour and a half in line to cast their vote. I found it very moving. I will remember this day all of my life. :wink:
suzie

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Haymarketaddict wrote: I think its the easy way out to say "its all in God's hands anyway" - I rather think that God gave us the BRAIN to think for ourselves ... and USE it accordingly - but on the other hand I suppose that's where all the "trouble" started :roll:
I couldn't have said it better. We were put on this earth for a reason, to use our brain, live our own life and make up our own mind. Not let someone else control it for us. Especially someone who we don't even know exists :lol: because no-one has ever returned from the dead and I'm not talking NDE experiences because these people were not really dead.

Slightly OT and not directly related to this thread but some words on the good and bad of religion. Once, just once I want to see a post where there's no God involved. When I had to make an important decision a couple a months ago the first thing I heard from an American was: I'll keep you in my prayers or God bless you. Not that that I didn't appreciate it because she was a very sweet person and probably just meant well but to tell you the truth, I could care less, I'm not very religious. I would have respected that person even more had she said: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I wish you all the best, you'll be fine. That comes directly from the heart.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I'll keep you in my prayers or God bless you. Not that that I didn't appreciate it because she was a very sweet person and probably just meant well but to tell you the truth, I could care less, I'm not very religious. I would have respected that person even more had she said: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I wish you all the best, you'll be fine. That comes directly from the heart.
Domi, I am not sure if this is the right place for a discussion on religion. ;)

But I am very sure, that what your American friend said, did come directly from her heart. ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Just talked to my folks , who are now back in florida for the winter, and they said that they did not have to stand in line at all. :| Walked right in and voted.
suzie

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I do not like the new banner photo - think Doris, a staunch Republican would not approve either. Hopefully, there will be a new Doris banner soon - like tomorrow, one hopes.

Watching Fox News to find the results....praying for a McCain-Palin win.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Those of us who want balanced reporting will not be watching FOX news tonight for the results.

BTW, I love the new banner.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

doris-day-fan wrote:I do not like the new banner photo - think Doris, a staunch Republican would not approve either. Hopefully, there will be a new Doris banner soon - like tomorrow, one hopes.

Watching Fox News to find the results....praying for a McCain-Palin win.

Mary Anne
I have to agree. We don't know who's president yet, but we have a banner already?

By the way, just a bit curious. For those not living in the USA, why are you interested who becomes are president? Not trying to be rude or snide in anyway, just a young girl's (20) :lol: curiosity.
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Can't wait for a new banner, please hurry and change it to Doris.
Carol

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Carol,
I agree with you - let's get Doris back on the banner....asap.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Seems to me, that somebody here is a bad looser?

It's not over yet, but I dare congratulate the USA on their next president.

I am very sure he is what your country - and the world - needs right now and I wish him all the best.

I hope the people who voted for McCain will give Obama a fair chance...
Marion

----------

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Obama just won is my state of Pennsylvannia :D :D ! McCain isn't doing too well at all!! On the news everyone says that it's partly because of Palin. We will know who the president is soon!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Well, it's over! :D Kudos Bryan on your prophetic banner! I really liked McCain's concession speech, although it's sad that so many of his supporters there failed to show any dignity or class at times.

I am thrilled and relieved and HOPEFUL about our great country's direction now. Hopefully we can undo some of the horrendous damage that's been done over the last eight years. :D :D
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Well said, John.

"Yes, We Can!"

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

sunnyDAY wrote:
By the way, just a bit curious. For those not living in the USA, why are you interested who becomes are president? Not trying to be rude or snide in anyway, just a young girl's (20) :lol: curiosity.
If you parden my saying it so directly (not meaing it to be rude either) - being 20 years old (and able to vote yourself) you should know that whatever America decides and whomever they vote for as President will DIRECTLY or indirectly influence the whole world... *that*s* why I'm "interested" in who becomes your next president :lol:

And I'M *EVER* SO HAPPY TO CONGRATULATE YOU PEOPLE ON YOUR NEW PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA .. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome and how clear it was in the end. Finally America seems to be on the right track again. I made it till 4 am our time after he had just won Ohio and it was as good as clear that he had made it! YEAHHHHH!!!!!!! He will never ever be able to meet all the high expectations the whole world has in him and the Democrats- not with the "terrible" state America is in right now in so many ways ... but I'm sure he will make the best out of what's there. CHANGE WE ALL NEED IT IN DEED !!!!

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I just found out who won and im so happy!
Everyone in my town seems thrilled!
Hopefully the USA will get better now that there's a new president.
CHANGE IS GOOD :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Even though I did not vote for obama ,I am going to look forward to some of the changes that he has pledged to do. :D Universal health care is one of them.Im tired of people having to file bankruptsey because they became ill. I know universal health care has its draw backs as well, but my aunt who lived in canada did just fine on it there. Lower taxes for those of us who make under 250,000.00 a year. I am hopefull that barack can do what he said he can do. Lets hope he can run the country as well as he has ran his campaign. If he does it will be okay. :wink: I am by nature an optimist, so I shall look at this election and say the people have spoken and I am more than willing to give my new president a fair chance . It will be exciting thats for sure. :wink:
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I am glad to hear that you give him a chance.

I found it very sad that the people were boo-ing during McCains Speech... :(
Marion

----------

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

We can't talk about GOD, because "many" on the forum don't feel it's the place for it nor do they believe in GOD. I don't see anyone preaching here....yes they mention their belief but that's it. I think if that was their intention they would move over to a religious forum and off of this one. But GOD forbid anyone invokes GOD in a discussion. When politics are mentioned, it appears to me that the "conservatives" on the forum are mocked -- just my opinion. AND -- don't dare mention certain books on the forum either...most just ignore that topic too. What is this? I believe in GOD -- I'm not a holy roller and blind to factual information. My eyes are WIDE open and I'm not a dumb-downed American -- it's my choice. I'm neither an extreme liberal or an extreme conservative as there's always wiggle room somewhere in the mix for me. I sense a very subtle bashing on the forum. -- what's up??? :roll: :roll: :?
Theodomus wrote:Seems to me, that somebody here is a bad looser?
Marion -- I don't think there are any sore loosers on the forum --

Bush put us where we are now -- Let's see if America can be turned around with Obama -- I hope so.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Diane, I was solely referring to the question to have the banner replace asap.

I can understand if people didn't find it appropriate to put the banner up before the election, but surely there should be enough tolerance and respect to put up with it for a little while AFTER he won?

I feel about it just as I did about the whistles and boohs during McCains speech - It was a fair and democratic election and the outcome should be respected. I know I would respected a win of McCain, though I wouldn't have liked it.
Marion

----------

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Theodomus wrote:I can understand if people didn't find it appropriate to put the banner up before the election, but surely there should be enough tolerance and respect to put up with it for a little while AFTER he won?

I feel about it just as I did about the whistles and boohs during McCains speech - It was a fair and democratic election and the outcome should be respected. I know I would respected a win of McCain, though I wouldn't have liked it.
Marion,
Tolerance....of course....America is extremely tolerant -- and soon we'll catch up in many ways to the good ole EU.

I will accept the new president just as I've had to deal with Bush for 8 years-- and as I said let's hope he follows through on the good he has promised. As far as a fair democratic election -- well, think back to the 2000 Florida election recount between Gore and Bush.....tsk tsk :roll:
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I didn't talk about the election in 2000 having been fair or not - But at least this time there doesn't seem to have been major problems with the machines and what I personally find very "fair": The candidate with the highest popular vote won. ;)
Marion

----------

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris will be happy to know the Obama's are geting the kids a puppy for the White House!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I actually was thinking:

"Hope he gets a mix from a shelter...."
Marion

----------