US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Who is going to the next President of the United States?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2008, 08:41

Barack Obama
50%
John McCain
41%
I'm not voting for either of them!
9%

Total votes: 22

John M
Honorary Member

Re: US Elections - who's going to be the next President?

Unread post by John M »

Theodomus wrote:I found it very sad that the people were boo-ing during McCains Speech... :(
Wasn't that sad and pathetic?! And on the other side of the spectrum, did you hear when Obama talked about McCain during his victory speech, the people there applauded?! That's the way it should be. But I guess some people have class and respect and some don't.

My joy and excitement is severely tempered by some of the hate-mongering propositions that passed around the country. :cry: :evil: America still has a ways to go... but to quote the new President-Elect, "We'll get there."
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Wasn't that sad and pathetic?! And on the other side of the spectrum, did you hear when Obama talked about McCain during his victory speech, the people there applauded?! That's the way it should be. But I guess some people have class and respect and some don't.
To be fair - I guess for the winners it is always easier to show respect for the defeated opponents. Nobody knows how Obama's supporters would have reacted in case he had lost. ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

You know what I don't understand, why is everyone so eager to get rid of Bush??? Does no one remember 9/11 anymore???
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

BabeWilliams wrote:You know what I don't understand, why is everyone so eager to get rid of Bush??? Does no one remember 9/11 anymore???
Megan, the WAR for one and the continuing threat of future wars under the Bush administration. Also, the ECONOMY that he drove into the ground.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Theodomus
Honorary Member

And the way he dealt with international partners.
Marion

----------

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Dear sweet Megan....about 911, I'll NEVER forget that day -- the same as I'll never forget the day that JFK was assasinated. I was in 2nd grade in my little 4 room red brick school house. The teacher came back from the office and told us. Believe it or not, in the early 60's, we had a moment of prayer in public school. That wasn't uncommon back then.

911 should have never happened! I find it difficult to embrace the idea that one can fight a war on terror. Diplomacy comes to mind before war.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Today is really a momentous day for America and for the World - good luck across the pond, I am delighted with the result, let's hope and pray things can get back on track!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Thank you, Jas for your well wishes. I am hopeful and we do need a change , thats for sure. :wink:
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Diane T wrote:Dear sweet Megan....about 911, I'll NEVER forget that day -- the same as I'll never forget the day that JFK was assasinated. I was in 2nd grade in my little 4 room red brick school house. The teacher came back from the office and told us. Believe it or not, in the early 60's, we had a moment of prayer in public school. That wasn't uncommon back then.

911 should have never happened! I find it difficult to embrace the idea that one can fight a war on terror. Diplomacy comes to mind before war.
I don't understand why praying in school has become such a big deal.. I pray before every meal, and if anyone has something to say about it.. They'll have to talk to my daddy..lol

I wasn't around when JFK got assassinated, but I DO remember 9/11. I was in 3rd grade, and when we got out of school that day it was rushed. What I mean is, parent's were scrambling to get their kids. My mom said we had to go get gas, because prices were sure to go up. And the lines at the gas station's were WAY out in the streets.. Then the next day in school, we watched footage of the attacks on the news.. I know that's one day I'll NEVER forget..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I'm just recovering from the celebrations. Still a bit 'fragile'! :wink:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Of course we all remember 9/11 - that day changed the whole world. But I don't think Bush dealt especially well with the situation - I'm sure if Clinton had still been president then the world would be a different, better one. I remember watching Bush when he got the news about America being attacked when he was in that kindergarden or school or something - the expression on his face - he didn't know what to do - he just kept sitting!! :shock:
He in deed was the worst president ever - I know a hundred reasons why. After 9/11 the whole world stood behind America but look at our relations now - a shambles - not just with us in Europe with the whole world. And its Bushs fault alone - I mean his politics. Ignoring the UN and starting a war alone ... horrid ecomonic situation, backing out of the Kyoto contract - and being totally helpless in dealing with the outcomes of neglegting the environment (like Hurricane Kathrina) - one could go on and on ....
Well - I for myself am counting the days when he finally is out of the White House and FINALLY can't make any mistakes anymore :lol:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Bry, You are such a rascal.lol Feeling a bit fragile are we ? Better to feel a bit fragile than to have to eat a big ole dish of crow, like you were afraid you might have to.lol :wink: Lets all hope this works out very well. Our stock market went into a free fall, after the election. :| A little scary there, I thought with a newly elected president perhaps the market would rally a bit, but that wasnt the case. Maybe today will be better.
Hope you are feeling better bry, that kind of flu can leave a pretty bad headache...Here wear some sun glasses that will help.. 8)
suzie

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Haymarketaddict wrote:After 9/11 the whole world stood behind America but look at our relations now - a shambles - not just with us in Europe with the whole world.
I've never seen a President throw away so much support and goodwill so fast. And decimate the relations with many of our own allies! :twisted:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Bry, You are such a rascal.lol Feeling a bit fragile are we ? Better to feel a bit fragile than to have to eat a big ole dish of crow, like you were afraid you might have to.lol
Yes, I'm a naughty boy, Suzie, but you knew that anyway :) - but I did pick the winner, didn't I?! - like (most of) you did. Mike pm'd me to say 'you've jumped the gun a bit, haven't you - do you know something we don't know?' I was just willing it to happen and hoped/thought it would.
It's the liberal-open vs conservative (keep things as they are 'cos we're scared of change') battle that runs through society. Things aren't working so why keep them as they are? As they say, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I went to a cashpoint yesterday and there was no money in my account, okay, several cheques are in the post but generally I identify with the 'have nots' and think the 'well off' have no idea of how the rest of us struggle to pay the bills and have fun (pursuit of happiness). Obama isn't going to change all that but you fell he has a sense of social justice that most politicians don't have. I wish we had someone like him over here.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Theodomus
Honorary Member

And something I hope Doris will be happy about - I know I am :-)

On Tuesday, voters from coast to coast sent a strong message that animals deserve to be protected from cruelty and abuse, ....

Some of the races are still being decided, and here is a wrap-up of this week's results and what we know so far.

Voters Side with Animals in Ballot Measures: Animals won big in the two major battles that sent shockwaves across the nation, with Californians passing Proposition 2 to stop cruel confinement of farm animals by a vote of 63% to 37%, and Massachusetts voters passing Question 3 to ban greyhound racing by a vote of 56% to 44%. Both of these measures have national implications for the industries that are impacted, and will have ripple effects on future public policy and corporate policy changes. And the overwhelming margins of these victories should help quiet those who would defend cruelty. ...

A More Humane White House: The presidential ticket endorsed by the Humane Society Legislative Fund emerged as victorious on Tuesday night, with Barack Obama and Joe Biden elected as our next president and vice president. HSLF had backed Obama and Biden because both senators have been strong supporters of animal protection legislation. Obama has cosponsored legislation to stop horse slaughter and crack down on dogfighting, and has spoken out on issues such as the abuse of downed cattle when he was on the campaign trail. Biden has been a leader on animal protection legislation, and has fought in the Senate to protect dolphins from drowning in tuna nets and to stop the captive trophy hunting of exotic mammals. In the most recent Humane Scorecard, Obama and Biden each scored 75 percent, while John McCain scored 25 percent. ...

Battle in the Detroit Suburbs: This year, the Detroit suburbs of Oakland County were ground zero for animal protection, and the Humane Society Legislative Fund targeted Rep. Joe Knollenberg (R-Mich.) for defeat. Over his 16 years in Congress, Knollenberg had averaged a score of 12% on animal protection issues -- which means he sided with animal abusers 88% of the time, on issues such as polar bear trophy hunting, horse slaughter, the abuse of downed cattle, and enforcement of the federal animal fighting law....
Source: Humane Society Legislative Fund Newsletter
https://community.hsus.org/humane/notic ... d=28847004
Marion

----------

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Glad , your feeling better bryan, yes you guessed it right for sure. Even though I am a conservative ,I too feel the same as you, we need change and lots of it. Glad the election is over and hope for a much brighter future . I think alot of "well off folks " are hopeing the economy gets better before they end up like us regular folks.lol. Ive lost ALOT of money in my 401k just in the last month. :cry: Hopeing to recoup some now that change is in the air. We shall see ,I hope for all of our sakes ,that barack can do what he promised to do.
Marion, Im sure doris would be happy with that news. I know I sure am.I cannot tolerate any form of abuse of animals, pets or farm animals.I watched the documentry on that very thing a coulpe of weeks ago, and it broke my heart. :cry: Our new president is getting his daughters a new puppy when they move into the white house, they want a fancy dog, but barack says, he would rather get a dog from a shelter who is in need of a good home. Doris , will love that, it ought to get her on his side real quick. :wink:
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

they want a fancy dog, but barack says, he would rather get a dog from a shelter who is in need of a good home.
Oh, where did you hear that?

I heard that his daughters are supposed to have a pet hair allergy and only allergic-friendly dogs like poodles would be a choice?

And appearently his wife already said that will have to wait a little longer because to raise a dog you need a stable environment and that would not be given while moving in the White House?

Sounds very reasonable to me - thumbs up! (If it is tru)
Marion

----------

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

I've seen a lot of good interviews with Michelle Obama and read lots of good stuff about her - she is a very intelligent woman who'll probably have a lot of good influence on her husband - I'm *so* glad that she'll be first lady :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Im pretty sure I saw the talk on the puppy on cnn or it might have been fox news , anyway it was on t.v. They actually named the kind of dog the girls wanted, im not certain ,but i think it was called a laberdoodle.
The news went on to say that their dad wanted to adopt a pet from a shelter instead. Didnt you hear him in his speech, say that the girls get a new puppy when they move into the white house ? It was all over our news networks . I hope they opt for a needy puppy from a shelter, that would be so nice.
I am so proud of our country for backing our new president. Everyone here that ive talked to anyway, seems hopeful and more than ready for change. I heard that 240,000 jobs here have been lost just in the last month.
Barack will have his hands very full what with this bad economy and all. Ford announced that it will cut 10% of its north american production. :roll: I know I have been working one or two weeks and then im laid off for two and then back to work again.Thank god for unemployment :| or I would be hurting big time. Washington is supposed to be contimplating another stimulas package to help the crippled economy.
Anke, I like michelle too, she is one very smart lady. Very classy too, in a jackie kennedy type way. It will be fun having young children in the white house again, his kids are so cute. As I have said my friends I am hopeful, that this will be a hugely successful presidencey. For all of our sakes !!
suzie

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

For our UK members - I watched alot of the US election coverage on BBC America this past Tuesday, mainly because I preferred their dignified coverage of the events. What were the red flowers (?) that everyone was wearing in their lapels? I first thought about the poppies, but those red flowers didn't really look like poppies that are associated with veterans day....

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

suzie wrote:Im pretty sure I saw the talk on the puppy on cnn or it might have been fox news , anyway it was on t.v. They actually named the kind of dog the girls wanted, im not certain ,but i think it was called a laberdoodle.

Anke, I like michelle too, she is one very smart lady. Very classy too, in a jackie kennedy type way. It will be fun having young children in the white house again, his kids are so cute. As I have said my friends I am hopeful, that this will be a hugely successful presidencey. For all of our sakes !!
That's what I hope too!!! :D
I saw that press conference too and that guy asking about the puppy - he definitely said he wanted one from a shelter but as Malia is allergic he has to look into that carefully cause most of the dogs in shelters are mixed races (or something) just like himself :D Thought that was cute and very reasonable ...cause hey - if the President gets a dog from a shelter maybe he inspires others to do so as well :lol:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Yeah, I read that, too - Great!
Marion

----------