your favourite male and female singers

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: your favourite male and female singers

Unread post by daybyday08 »

My favorite male singer is Frank Sinatra. Favorite female singers are Doris Day, Barbra Streisand, Rosemary Clooney , and Judy Garland.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

A singer besides Doris? Is there a singer besides Doris? Lol!

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Male: past> PAT BOONE PRESENT>>MICHAEL BUBLE
FEMALE: After Doris wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy downnnnnnnnnn the list: Jo Stafford/Teresa Brewer
Sorry, Doris...I did not like Ella...thought YOU FAR SURPASSED HER

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

My favorite male singer is Frank Sinatra, no guy can beat him.. He's just amazing! I also like Nat King Cole and Perry Como.

I don't really have any other favorite female singers besides Doris.. I like Carrie Underwood, but that's really about it..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Favorite lady singer (after my Doris ofcourse ) would be Jo Stafford and my favorite male singer would have to be Frank. Frank who ??? Sorry just being silly here. :oops:
suzie

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Male = Tony Bennett; Mel Torme; Frank Sinatra; Nat Cole.

Female = Sarah Vaughan; Billie Holiday; Doris Day; Ella Fitzgerald; Anita O'Day; Peggy Lee; June Christy; Chris Conor; KD Lang; Madeline Peryoux; Stacy Kent; Carmen MacCrae; Rosemary Clooney; Jane Russell; Alison Moyet; Dinah Washington

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Male: Sinatra (a bit overrated, but still great), Nat King Cole.

Female: Streisand, Ella, Edith Piaf. As far as current theatrical singers right now, I love Betty Buckley. Her "Concert at Carnegie Hall" cd is amazing. She does the absolute definitive versions of "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy AND "Pirate Jenny" from The Threepenny Opera. No one else right now has that range.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

Favorite Male singer: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennet

Favorite Female Singer: (After Doris) Judy Garland, Peggy Lee, Rosemary Clooney, The Andrew Sisters
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

Doris Day all the Way! I also like Karen Carpenter, Linda Eder - and dare I say - some of the less dramatic Barbra Streisand songs.

I think Michael Buble is wonderful. I also like Neil Diamond and, of course, Frank Sinatra. I also like 1970's Elvis Presley.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Oh, Vicki M, we have the very same taste in music!!! :D

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Without a doubt, Doris is my favorite female singer. I'd rather listen to her than anyone else. I do also like Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray, but they're a faraway second and third from Doris.

I tend not to listen to as many male singers. If I had to choose, first would be Harry Connick, and then maybe Robert Goulet at his prime.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

From Yesterday: Females: Sarah Vaughan, Rosemary Clooney, Chris Connor, Billie Holiday, Julie London & Whitney Houston.

Males: Sinatra, Mel Torme, Jerry Vale, Andy Williams, Jack Jones, Nat Cole.

Today: Females: Stacy Kent, Linda Eder, Shania Twain, Natalie Cole, and my second favorite (to Doris, of course) Barbra Streisand.

Males: Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Garth Brooks, Vince Gill.

I've left out many favorites, I know. I like all kinds of music (except rap).
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Amongst the ladies:

Doris -- Simply one of the most natural singers I've ever heard. Nothing is ever forced. Doris has a supreme gift when it comes to timing, rhythm and her ability to tell a story in song. She makes it all seem so effortless that many people fail to notice just how great she is. That probably explains why she was criminally underrated as a vocalist for so many years. I dare anyone not to listen to "Day By Day" or "Day By Night" (to mention just two) and not be completely captivated. Those recordings are for the ages.

La Streisand -- I am a Streisand junkie. She is am amazingly powerful singer with a tone that is pure perfection at times, and yet, she has also made some of the worst albums ever. Still, next to Garland, there is no other pop diva who evokes such strong emotion in people. You either love her or you hate her. I love her and respect her sense of truth in her performances and her willingness to experiment with different types of music. I just wish her recordings from the 90's on weren't so heavy with strings and over-production.

Others that I admire: Judy (the most emotional singer ever); kd lang; Jane Monheit; Betty Buckley (a terrific belter); Rosemary Clooney; Ella Fitzgerald; Roberta Flack; and Dusty Springfield. I'm also a closet Beyonce fan. I think she has a great set of pipes and has the potential to get even better as she matures.

Amongst the Guys

Sinatra: A master storyteller in song. I can't think of another singer (aside from Judy) whose personal life fueled his performances as much as Sinatra. Just watch "A Man and his Music and you will understand what I mean. He wore his heart on his sleeve and over time it became pretty worn from all the bigger-than-life living he seemed to crave. But the payoff is in those stellar performances. A true master.

Nat King Cole: one of the smoothest, creamiest pop voices ever. Another superb singer, who, like Doris was a complete natural. You never heard him "singing." It all just flowed out of him.

Others that I enjoy: Ray Charles; Josh Groban; Michael Buble (OK, he can be on the cheesy side and he ain't no Sinatra by any stretch, but I like the fact that he has somehow made standards and big band sounds "cool" for the younger generation); Peter Cincotti; and the late Luther Vandross.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Another voice that I like [because it is so distintive] - although I haven't heard a lot of her stuff, is Helen Reddy.

Yes, I agree Michael Buble is good. I also agree you cannot take away the talent of Streisand or the likes of Judy and maybe even Celine Dion - however, I just never really took to their voices - with the odd exception of a recording here and there! I adore Garland's 'The Man that Got Away' for example.

Also, in 'some things' I really like Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield and Dion Warick.