Streisand Sets Another Record

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
John M
Honorary Member

Streisand Sets Another Record

Unread post by John M »

Barbra has done it again. Her new album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 100 and set another record: she becomes the first artist in history to have #1 in albums in FIVE consecutive decades (the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 2000s). Not too shabby for a woman pushing 70.

The album is terrific. It's an album of jazz standards made with Diana Krall and her Trio. It reminds me a lot of Doris' album with Andre Previn. It has that same late-night, piano bar feel to it.

There are some songs on it that I'd have loved to hear Doris wrap her voice around: "In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning," "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most," "Here's That Rainy Day," Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "Some Other Time"
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Re: Streisand Sets Another Record

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That's fantastic!!! Congrats Barbra!! :D

Her album is amazing. I love all of the songs.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

And DIE HARD MIKEY says: I would rather it be Doris than Barbra.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I've got the album, and it's very good. Streisand's voice had held up amazingly well over the years. She's got a sound that' a bit deeper, but still very special, and she sure can put over a lyric. Good for her and for her many fans!
Like Irene Dunne done.

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I have the album too and I think it's wonderful! It's a very good album on holidays to listen to as background music too.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike on this one. I cannot *stand* Barbra's singing - over the top - overly emotional - overly overly. Ack. But she's a very good comedian and I love her politics.

Lauren

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

We are in the minority , Lauren. More people are impressed with Barbra than we are. She is so impressed with herself that she does not impress me at all. I had a chance to see her show in Vegas a few years ago. I chose to skip it and go see Sedaka instead...I have never regretted it.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

I'm just wondering how much time they are spending over at the B.S. fan forum talking about what a wonderful singer Doris Day once was.

Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

I think since this thread is in the off topics it's okay. It's funny, sometimes I go on the Sinatra forum and you would be surprised how many time they mention Doris. They love her on there and Nancy Sinatra is a huge fan. She talks about Romance on the High Seas all the time.
- Dominique

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Streisand never became # 1 Movie Box Office the way that Doris held that title for several years. Also Doris had a longer and apparently more productive film career. OK - BABS won her Oscar for FUNNY GIRL - though she had to tie with Katharine Hepburn for THE LION IN WINTER but the Streisand film career faltered after a brief while.
She has a tendency to overwork a song - never sings it plain. One has to trust the material and let it flow naturally.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

If you check Barbra's entire career, one word stands out: FLASHY
She could never do anything "normal or ordinary". Therefore...the ONLY song I have ever heard her sing straight is IF I LOVED YOU (from one of the Broadway albums). That is why it is her ONLY recording I like.
On the other hand, there is nothing I don't love by DD.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Thank you, Mikey. I love to read wonderful things about Doris on a DORIS DAY FAN FORUM. Comments about Barbra should be made on her fan forum. I'm sure she has one.

Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

I think it's just everyone's opinion whether they enjoy her work or not. This is in the off topic section so I don't believe that it should be deleted or the many other topics in this area.. since they are off topic. We have so many great topics on Doris but it's nice to have a section for personal matters or the share about other people that we enjoy.
- Dominique

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I always thought that Barbra was totally miscast in HELLO DOLLY ! Carol Channing - the role's originator on Broadway - was completely disgusted that she was not even considered to play this role in the cinema. She said in a recent interview that she was actually elated when the movie version did not do well and that is lost money at the box office ! OUCH !
I think Barbra was a tad too young to play this role. After all - matronly Shirley Booth portrayed this part in the non-musical film version - THE MATCHMAKER. Barbra I think was in her late 20's so it was not entirely convincing.
Zanuck's son wanted to replace Barbra with DORIS as Barbra was causing so much trouble on the set. Doris would have been superb in this role----she was in her late 40's at the time - still singing beautiful and would have looked wonderful in the 1890's costumes---------she wore such similar costumes in JUMBO so that would have been not a problem.
As it stands - the film ran over its budget - lost much revenue and spelled the end of the 20 th Century Fox musical. Too bad.