Kathryn Grayson

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
paul
Special Contributer

Kathryn Grayson

Unread post by paul »

The recent passing of Kathryn Grayson reminded me of a story that shows what a gracious and charming person Miss Day is.

In 1983 when Miss Grayson was touring New England with the Sarah Caldwell Opera Company in "Orpheus in the Underworld", I had occasion to take her to dinner in Boston at the famed Anthony's Pier Four. The subject of Doris Day came up.

Kathryn, who had spent most of her career at MGM did do two films at Warner Brothers in the 1950's - "The Desert Song" with Gordon MacRae and "So This is Love" with Merv Griffin.

Kathryn remembered that when she arrived at Warners, where Doris was the reigning female star, Miss Day sent her a welcoming gift of flowers, a personal handwritten note and made a point of coming to her dressing room to say hello. Kathryn expressed her deep admiration for Doris Day and her love of animals, a love Kathryn shared. Up to the day of her passing this past February, her home in Santa Monica was filled with her beloved dogs.

howard
Special Contributer

Re: Kathryn Grayson

Unread post by howard »

It saddened me when I heard that she had died. I enjoyed her in films, especially with Mario Lanza.
Like Irene Dunne done.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

It's so sad that she died. She had a great voice and seemed like a very nice person.

That's a great story about Doris. It goes to show how wonderful she is.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

Thank you so much for sharing that with us paul. What a wonderful voice Kathryn had. BILL

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, she was a great artist. I saw her and Gordon MacRae in "The Desert Song" on TCM a few weeks ago - very silly plot but great fun and a joy to hear her and MacRae.

I love "Kiss Me Kate", with Grayson, Howard Keel and Ann Miller. 8)

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Miss Grayson had a magnificent voice. I always enjoyed her singing. Wish she had made more recordings during her vocal prime.