Recent Quote By BETTE MIDLER !

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

Recent Quote By BETTE MIDLER !

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Truer words have never been spoken !
[quote] YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT CLASS OF PEOPLE NOW WHERE THE TALENT ELEMENT IS MOSTLY GONE AND THE FAME ELEMENT HAS TAKEN OVER....WE ARE IN A VERY BLEAK TIME.
Any thoughts on this quote by Bette Midler ?

Jiminy Cricket

Re: Recent Quote By BETTE MIDLER !

Unread post by Jiminy Cricket »

I couldn't agree more! It is sad,but it's the truth!
The people today is famous without any special reason! Where is the talent? I really can't find it anywhere today. It looks that nobody's cares for the talent anymore. This is really sad!
- "With a smile and a song,life is just a like bright sunny day..." -

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

It isn't really just today. At one point in the past, I used to direct high school theatre (but in a very professional way...I would have stacked our productions up with the best of any). I stopped doing it in 1990 because we had reached a point where the parents wanted their children to "star" on the stage, but there were no expectations. Therefore, learning lines, getting into character, being really goood....none of that was part of what they were willing to do. My expectations were: if we are doing a show, it will be on a par with the best of broadway. In the past, the kids accepted that challenge and ran with it. There were times when they were told the performance was better than the ones people had seen in professional theatre. When the attitudes changed, as they did in the late 80's and early 90's, My entire team said: SHOVE IT. And we did no more. What a shame.....

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

TCMMovieFan wrote:Truer words have never been spoken !
YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT CLASS OF PEOPLE NOW WHERE THE TALENT ELEMENT IS MOSTLY GONE AND THE FAME ELEMENT HAS TAKEN OVER....WE ARE IN A VERY BLEAK TIME.
Wow! Such wise & true words. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I find it very sad the lack of real talent in my generation and the generation before me. There are a few good people but there are far too many getting credit that they don't deserve. It's just my opinion though. I hope some really good people will come a long sometime soon. At least there is Nellie Mckay. A perfect example of a young talented girl who should be a huge star but sadly isn't yet. Shame, shame.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

daybyday08 wrote:
TCMMovieFan wrote:Truer words have never been spoken !
YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT CLASS OF PEOPLE NOW WHERE THE TALENT ELEMENT IS MOSTLY GONE AND THE FAME ELEMENT HAS TAKEN OVER....WE ARE IN A VERY BLEAK TIME.
Wow! Such wise & true words. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I find it very sad the lack of real talent in my generation and the generation before me. There are a few good people but there are far too many getting credit that they don't deserve. It's just my opinion though. I hope some really good people will come a long sometime soon. At least there is Nellie Mckay. A perfect example of a young talented girl who should be a huge star but sadly isn't yet. Shame, shame.
Totally agree! I wish that someone with some TALENT would actually gain some fame soon. I'm so sick of looking at Paris Hilton and those Kardashian hussies. Seriously, why are they famous? Today, you can gain fame merely by having an abundance of money. Years ago, you gained fame by being talented. Our society is downspiraling into such a cesspool of materialism and immorality. What happened? 60 years ago, they were listening to songs about the moonlight. Now, we're listening to songs about dance clubs. *Sigh* Why couldn't I have been born in the good old days? It really is a shame.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I do wish I was born way too late. Were it not for TCM - I would not be able to see all the wonderful old films. I wish I could listen to those great songs from the past but there are no radio stations in my area that play Doris Day or Perry Como or Bing or any of those musical legends. This is odd as I do live in an urban area so one would think that somewhere there would be a classic radio station. This is especially a problem when driving to work. To install a classic radio station - one would have to pay to install SIRIUS - the media is making more and more difficult to have access to the really fine tunes.
A few years back I took a dance course at Arthur Murray's - the waltz, fox-trot, et al. Naturally I cannot use it though I might have already forgotten all about it.
Its too bad the greatest things in life are being phased out.