IF IM LUCKY - Perry Como Movie !

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

IF IM LUCKY - Perry Como Movie !

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Don't know how many MR. C fans come to this forum but I happen to be one of them !
As a kid I greatly enjoyed his TV specials though he was soundly criticized, often overlooked and underrated. Perhaps it was his overall lowkeyed personality and laid back approach though obviously much care and thought did go into his singing. It was as lyrical as Doris'. Both highly musical singers and never an ugly sound or tone.
I came to his 4 movies rather late. He did not enjoy Hollywood so he discouraged a movie career from continuing.
At any rate - I greatly enjoy the movie IF IM LUCKY with an excellent supporting cast with Vivian Blaine, Carmen Miranda, Phil Silvers, Harry James, Reed Hadley, Edgar Buchanan, et al.
Has anyone here ever seen it ?
How about the other films - Doll Face & Something For The Boys ?

CalamityLisa

Re: IF IM LUCKY - Perry Como Movie !

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

I also enjoy Perry's singing, TCM!
So far I did not even know that Perry made some movies, too.
I knew about his Television shows, but unfortunately I haven't seen them yet.
Are they released on DVD?
Do you have a favourite Mr. C song, TCM? I love him singing "A Garden In The Rain".
Fortunately, I discovered his music a few years ago, when I saw a CD cover with Perry and Doris on it. By then I already was a huge DD fan so I could not resist to buy it, although I had not heard about Perry then. Of course I immediately fell in love with his music!!
TCM, you and the other members have such an excellent taste in movies and music that I would be glad when you could recommend some of your favourites to me!Because most of these singers of the era have been forgotten here or weren't that popular in Germany.I'm always interested in learning more about their era. Thanks! Lisa

TCMMovieFan

Guten Tag Lisa !
How are you ?
My favorite Perry Como song is ITS IMPOSSIBLE - his major hit from 1971 - a song that greatly revived his career. It encouraged him to even go back to LIVE performing - something he had not done in many years.
I can also recommend his albums---------perhaps you can find them on the internet--------PERRY COMO IN ITALY, PERRY COMO - LIGHTLY LATIN, PERRY COMO 'LIVE' IN LAS VEGAS AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL.
As far as I know none of his shows have been released on DVD'S or even videos. There is a young lad - Matthew Long - who is in the UK and is the President of the PERRY COMO Appreciation Society- which is on the web. If one logs on a websearch and types in PERRY COMO APPRECIATION SOCIETY - the link to it will be there.
As for the PERRY movies - 3 of them are currently available in the CARMEN MIRANDA COLLECTION which is easily obtained online-----they are digitally remastered DVD's and very entertaining. Not only for Perry but for Carmen and a vast array of talent-------------I highly recommend that you obtain these ! You will not regret this purchase at all.
The 4 th PERRY movie is from MGM -- WORDS AND MUSIC - recently remastered on DVD - also available from the internet.
Please let me know if you find these items and if you like them !
Enjoy !

CalamityLisa

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

Hi TCM,
I'm fine. Thanks. How are you?
I found the Carmen Miranda Collection, but unfortunately the DVD is only available with region code 1, so it would not work on my DVD player. I hope it will also be released in the code I need.
The only album I could find on the internet is "Perry Como in Italy", but $155.60 (amazon) is too much to afford with my pocketmoney. Where did you get these albums from?
I wish I could find an album with live recordings somewhere!
Anyhow I bought me "Perry Como Today". It contains recordings from the 80's. I do not know if you already have this album, but I would recommend it. Thank you for your recommendations! Lisa

TCMMovieFan

Hello Calamity Lisa !
Hoping all is well.
Sorry that the CARMEN MIRANDA DVD COLLECTION is not available in the proper format as I know you would enjoy it !
Yes the cost of PERRY COMO IN ITALY on Amazon is way too high ! Perhaps in the future you will find it at far more reasonable price !
There is a website for Perry Como that is organized by a very nice person Matthew Long of England. Why not try contacting him - he might be able to provide you with more information on how to obtain the Perry Como movies and recordings at a low price. The organization is called THE PERRY COMO APPRECIATION SOCIETY and you can easily find it online through a websearch. Mr. Long is far more knowledgeable than I about making good recommendations and suggestions. It is worth a try !
Please let me know if you have any further luck regarding this matter !
Happy Viewing & Listening ! :)

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I too enjoyed Perry Como - talk about an illustrious career ... his hit records spanned the decades - how many? Three, four? He certainly had longevity! It saddens me to hear today's so-called music authorities, when they speak of today's music, compare it to the "bland" pop before the rock revolution. More often than not, they'll say "you know, singers like Perry Como, Patti Page, etc." It really steams me ... these people don't know what they're talking about. When they start riffing on this so-called "bland" musical era, I keep my fingers crossed that they leave DD out of the equation! Sofar, she has survived it ... yippee!
Like Irene Dunne done.

TCMMovieFan

howard wrote:I too enjoyed Perry Como - talk about an illustrious career ... his hit records spanned the decades - how many? Three, four? He certainly had longevity! It saddens me to hear today's so-called music authorities, when they speak of today's music, compare it to the "bland" pop before the rock revolution. More often than not, they'll say "you know, singers like Perry Como, Patti Page, etc." It really steams me ... these people don't know what they're talking about. When they start riffing on this so-called "bland" musical era, I keep my fingers crossed that they leave DD out of the equation! Sofar, she has survived it ... yippee!
Howard ! Too bad you live so far away ! Wish I could shake your hand !
Truer words have never been spoken !
Another reason why I like to visit this forum-------the people here actually know what I mean and I don't need to mince words just to please other people !

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Well, they're at it again, and of course, they've picked on poor Perry. In this week's (Oct. 1, 2010) issue of Entertainment Weekly, in author Stephen King's column, he speaks of his early love of music: "We got exactly one radio station, WLAM out of Lewiston-Auburn. It mostly specialized in snooze-tunes (e.g., Perry Como, Dean Martin, and the McGuire Sisters)." I'm sad to say, TCM, it looks like a losing battle. Music will never be the same.
Like Irene Dunne done.

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Hi Lisa.

I knew Perry and some of his great songs long before I watched him in DD show, but then I searched more about him and got many songs and all his mowies. I could make a DVD with all music and movies and send it to you by mail. Let me know your address here or on e-mail [email protected]
You could find a lot of videos also from his show on youtube.

Nada
My home "made" DVD will be non-region

TCMMovieFan

Hello Nada !
Hoping all is well.
Are you familiar with the PERRY COMO APPRECIATION SOCIETY ? It is based in the UK and is run by a very nice young gentleman - Matthew Long is his name.
He is always very happy to hear from other Perry fans as well so if you can contact him than that would be great ! The Perry Como Appreciation Society can be found online-----perhaps if you could 'Google' it !
Thanks !

Pedro
Forum Friend

Unread post by Pedro »

If I'm lucky...
Haven't seen the movie and would like to. But love the song.
Howard, how do you like the version by Melody Gardot, recorded in 2010 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkEOsfkU7E

TCMMovieFan

Pedro wrote:If I'm lucky...
Haven't seen the movie and would like to. But love the song.
Howard, how do you like the version by Melody Gardot, recorded in 2010 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkEOsfkU7E
The movie IF IM LUCKY is available....along with 3 other films in which Perry Como participated...on DVD as part of the CARMEN MIRANDA COLLECTION I found it via AMAZON though I have seen in the BARNES & NOBLES bookstores.
The DVD of it is of course excellent digitalized quality with optional subtitles provided in English, Spanish, and French. Also interesting at the end of the DVD's are the movie trailers, display of the movie lobby cards, photos of the cast on the set, etc.
Now I hope my recommendation will not come across as an advertisement.....I don't wish to incur the wrath of Webmaster Bryan........I am way too young to have my head decapitated at the Tower of London ! :lol:

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

She's good, Pedro. I like that smoky quality of hers. Nice sound ... nice song, too!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Hi Ania

I love The Carpenters. Karen voice sang beautifully, and form a stunning duo Como :D
Perry Como wonderful voice :D

Wonderful sound together, complement each other :D Both vocal artistry and deliciously perfection and ease of singing :D Funny and beautiful :D From 2:07 beautifully and wonderfully, I love this song :D I like jazz and standards of such music, it is timeless and eternal :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube