Jane Russell has died

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Jas1
Honorary Member

Jane Russell has died

Unread post by Jas1 »

I was saddened to hear of the death of the great Jane Russell [yesterday] at aged 89.

She was a wonderfully down to earth 'star' who, in addition to being a fine comedienne, was a great singer too!

Another one from the golden era!

Rest in peace Jane.

howard
Special Contributer

Re: Jane Russell has died

Unread post by howard »

I liked her a lot. All the greats are going-going-gone! Thank goodness our girl is alive and well ... long may she reign!
Like Irene Dunne done.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Yes quite an impressive golden girl has left us.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Most saddened at the passing of MISS JANE RUSSELL ! I was always a great fan of hers......loved her excellent work in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES which she practically stole the show away from Marilyn Monroe....sorry folks but thats the way I feel.
Jane was a sparkling comedienne and a fine singer in her own right. There was much more to her than her looks and stature....beneath it all was a considerable amount of personal warmth that came through her work even if the vehicles were not always equal to her obvious capabilities.
She will truly be missed !

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Jane Russell was a very talented lady. It's always so hard to lose someone we have watched for so many years.
She will very much be missed.

TCMMovieFan

littlepinetree wrote:Jane Russell was a very talented lady. It's always so hard to lose someone we have watched for so many years.
She will very much be missed.
Of all the 'sultry ladies' of Hollywood.....I liked her the best because she was always earthy and did not take herself seriously.
She was totally professional------I enjoyed the way she sang and its too bad that she wasn't given a few hit songs to record or was promoted in that venue for obviously there was a fine voice there but naturally given her great attractiveness..........that became her key to fame.
Still she took it all in stride with that unique humor of hers which was always delightful.
She did have her own distinctive style and not at all stuck in the same mold as many another Hollywood starlet.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I was a big Jane Russell fan. Yes, she did have a good singing voice - enjoyed hearing it in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," and "The French Line." She was sexy, alright, but she had a down-to-earth quality that was hard to resist. In fact, when I saw "Gentlemen," I was drawn more towards her than to Monroe.
Like Irene Dunne done.

TCMMovieFan

howard wrote:I was a big Jane Russell fan. Yes, she did have a good singing voice - enjoyed hearing it in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," and "The French Line." She was sexy, alright, but she had a down-to-earth quality that was hard to resist. In fact, when I saw "Gentlemen," I was drawn more towards her than to Monroe.
In total sync Howard with especially your last statement above ! Personally....and I don't give a 'bloody hoot' as they would say in the Webmaster Bryan's native UK......whether the media much preferred Marilyn. By far Jane had the better figure and carried herself before the camera with much more confidence than Marilyn. Jane was also provided with the best comic zingers in 'Gentlemen' and in the 'Court Room Scene' she was most galvanizing in her impersonation of Marilyn.
Most assuredly someone in this forum will feel the the total opposite :roll: so any dissenters here ? :|

Westwood

Unread post by Westwood »

I liked her so much, I thought she was always so classy, and she still looked like herself! It's like she just got a bit older and never went further! It's just toooo bad she wasn't given bigger movie or another chance to shine by herself. I also recently saw her appearance on Hunter, she looked great!

This is my all-time favorite picture of hers
Why she didn't have Hollywood and the whole world at her feet is beyond me.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Fabulous photo!
Like Irene Dunne done.