Introduction: Bjorn

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Bjorn
Spam Prevention: Yes

Introduction: Bjorn

Unread post by Bjorn »

Hi everyone!

First of all big thanks to Bryan for opening registration for a while so I could sign up for this board. I have been a big fan of Dodo for about two years now, and I know I will finally be able to share this interest with the other members here.

Two years is probably a very short period of fandom compared to many of you, and part of that is due to my age (22). I started listening to Sinatra music when I was about 14, and gradually became passionate about forties, fifties, and early sixties music. One of my favorite Sinatra songs was "Let's take an old-fashioned walk", but it took a long time for me to realize he recorded that tune with Doris. It was much later when I heard a Dodo song (not sure which one anymore) and used an app to figure out who sung it. I've been hooked since, and hardly listen to anyone else's music now, although I still enjoy Sinatra, Nat, Dean, Vic, Ella, Bing, Louis, and others. (Note: I started using Last.fm at the end of February, and listened to 5,280 songs since, 3,535 of which are Doris'.)

After her music I soon discovered Doris' pictures. Not all of them are easy to get here in Holland, so there are still 10 (out of 39 as you probably know) I have not seen yet. I will have to get a second (region 1 coded) DVD-player and order the remaining films from the States (and I hope to get a box set of the Doris Day show as well). As for favorites, I cannot really chose. I love watching On Moonlight Bay/By the Light of the Silvery Moon back to back on a Sunday afternoon, I have seen Jumbo multiple times, as well as Pillow Talk, Calamity Jane, The Man Who Knew Too Much, April in Paris, The Pajama Game... I like all of Dodo's movies, even Caprice.

Earlier this year I bought a signed picture of Doris, and I would love to expand my memorabilia collection as I start my career (as a student one has to prioritize one's collecting). I also have a passion for photography and photo books, which thus far have been allotted the majority of my collecting budget. As with my musical preferences, I am mainly interested in classic black and white photography from the twenties up to the early sixties. For those in the know, Elliott Erwitt, Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau, Brassaï, and Robert Capa are some of my favorites. I look forward to exploring the photos of Doris posted on this site, and join in on the conversation.

- Bjorn
Street photographer and young but dedicated Dodo fan.
Google+ | Twitter

howard
Special Contributer

Re: Introduction: Bjorn

Unread post by howard »

Welcome to the forum, Bjorn. You have excellent taste!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes welcome Bjorn, enjoy.

Bjorn

Unread post by Bjorn »

Thank you Howard and Jas1!
Street photographer and young but dedicated Dodo fan.
Google+ | Twitter

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

Welcome to the forum Bjorn! Hope to hear more revelations about Doris! I like Caprice too, I'd say Romance on the High Seas, Calamity Jane as 2 of my top favorites, but I love them all.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

A hearty welcome to you, Bjorn!

Your introductory message proves that great artists like Doris are timeless and their work appeals to multiple generations, nationalities and backgrounds. Along with the other talented vocalists you mentioned, Doris ranks among the best interpreters of the great American songbook. Her vocals have taken on a deeper luster for me personally as I've aged. Just wait a few more years and you find yourself falling in love with her over and over again in ways that you could not have imagined.

I hope you enjoy your visits here as much I have over the past several years.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, welcome to the forum, Bjorn! I enjoyed reading your post.
Have you heard the "Duet" album that Doris made with Andre Previn? I think you'd enjoy that.

Glad people are looking out for you and hope to have more time to chat later.

Happy Christmas!

Bryan
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering