Let Us Remember

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Let Us Remember

Unread post by Musiclover »

Neither do I.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Ava Gardner who died January 25-1990 of pneumonia at age 67.
Ava was married first to Micky Rooney, then Artie Shaw and finally Frank Sinatra. She was nominated as best actress in 1953 for Mogambo. She did outstanding work in The Snows of Kilamjaro and The Night of The Iguana.
Attachments
Ava Gardner
Ava Gardner
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the wonderful Mary Tyler Moore who died today, January 25, 2017 at the age of 80. She was born on December 29-1936.

She first starred with Dick Van Dyke Show in the 1960's.

In the 1970's she starred in her own ground-breaking series, The Mary Tyler Moore Show for seven years. The supporting cast were Valerie Harper as neighbour Rhoda, Ed Asner as her boss Lou Grant, Gavin McLeod as Murray, Ted Knight as the bumbling newscaster Ted and Betty White as the hilarious Happy Homemaker host\ man-chaser Sue Ann Nivens. There was also Cloris Leachman as her pretentious landlady Phyllis.
Mary Tyler Moore
Mary Tyler Moore
They scheduled a meeting for the following day to tie up details and ___.png (105.94 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
In 1980 she was nominated for an Academy award for best actress for her role in the Robert Redford film, Ordinary People.

The theme song in her series " Love Is All Around " included the words "Light Up the world with your smile". This is Mary did.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I loved Mary and it is very sad to hear of her passing - RIP.

I think Mary was a great actress and I loved her TV show which we did get here in the UK [unlike Doris' show]. However, [and I don't mean this as a criticism] - I have been watching quite a few MTM episodes [season 1] and find many of Doris' episodes just as good as those on Mary's show - particularly from Doris' season 3.

What I am saying is that [again] I don't think Doris got the credit from critics that she deserved even in television.

However, this does not detract from Mary - I read she had been in very poor health for quite some time so hopefully she is at peace and pain free - she was a lovely talented lady.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Image Image

She was great in "Thoroughly Modern Millie"! :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Very well said, Jas. I couldn't agree more.

Bryan, thanks for this group of photos. Love the candid at lower left especially; a trio of very classy ladies.

webmaster

Cheers, Judy - I like the one next to it, doesn't Doris look great? (Presumably they are wearing fake furs?)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, the photos are wonderful. I am trying to figure out who the people are in the bottom photos with Doris and Mary. On the left, the woman in the middle looks like Edie Adams or Amanda Blake, (Gunsmoke). On the lower right it looks like the two women on the right in te photo are Jayne Meadows and Angie Dickinson.
Johnny

webmaster

I found the caption to this photo:

Doris Day, Mary Tyler Moore, Angie Dickinson, Amanda Blake, raising awareness for animal welfare by not wearing real furs or skins from animals. (Actually they only named four of the people in the photo - who is the fifth one, next to Doris, top, Jayne Meadows ?)

From Doris' website:
In 1971, Doris became one of the founding members of Actors and Others for Animals, along with Richard and Diana Basehart, Jackie Joseph, Lucie Arnaz, and others who wanted to use their celebrity status to draw vital media attention to the plight of the animals and influence needed change.
As her personal rescue work became more and more overwhelming, Doris realized she could save even more lives with her own organization. In 1978, she founded the non-profit Doris Day Pet Foundation, focusing on finding homes for the too many animals that were being destroyed simply because there weren't enough good homes. In addition to fostering animals at her house, she was leasing kennel space, providing for veterinary care, and finding loving forever homes, with the help of a dedicated staff of volunteers.

Soon, Doris recognized that rescuing animals wasn’t enough. She knew she had to get to the root of the homeless pet overpopulation and do more to protect all animals, so to complement the Doris Day Pet Foundation, she formed the Doris Day Animal League in 1987, a national non-profit citizens’ lobbying organization. With Doris’ personal involvement in writing letters and calling legislators, DDAL soon became one of the most powerful voices for animals on Capitol Hill, responsible for landmark legislation on behalf of the animals. One of Doris’ and DDAL’s proudest achievements is founding Spay Day USA in 1995. Now known as World Spay Day, the effort today encompasses 46 countries. In 2007, the Doris Day Animal League merged with the Humane Society of the United States for an even greater legislative voice in Washington."
More: http://www.dorisdayanimalfoundation.org ... -directors

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Isn't it Amanda Blake at the top; then, moving down the right side, Jayne Meadows & Angie Dickinson?

webmaster

Yes, I think you're right, Dave - I'm not too familiar with either of them (being a Brit!) - thanks. :oops:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember actor Alan Ladd who died age 50 on January 29-1964. Alan Ladd became prominent when he starred in This Gun For Hire (1942) in which his co-star was
Alan Ladd
Alan Ladd
Jean Arthur - Hollywood Star Walk - Los Angeles Times.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Veronica Lake. He also starred in The Glass Key (1942) and his outstanding role in Shane (1953).

Jimmy Durante died on January 29-1980 at age 86. He was a singer, pianist, comedian, and actor. His prominent nose was often characterized comedically by him as "The Great Schnoz and The Great Schnozzola".
Jimmy starred as Doris Day's father in Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962). He also starred It's A in the great comedy It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in 1963.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

You are exactly correct, Dave.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Huntz Hall who died January 30,1999 at the age of 78. He starred in 102 films starting in The Dead End Kids, that evolved into The East Side Kids, and finally The Bowery Boys. His first major film was in 1938, Angels With Dirty Faces directed by Michael Curtiz and starring James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart.
He was once describes as having a comedic face made of elastic bands. His character Sach in The Bowery Boys had a comic innocence that played perfectly as a foil and sidekick for the leader of the gang Slip played by Leo Gorcey.

Huntz Hall was born in New York and was the 14th child in a family of 16 children.
Huntz Hall -The Bowery Boys
Huntz Hall -The Bowery Boys
huntz hall.jpg (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Doris Day's co-star Audrey Meadows who starred in That Touch of Mink in 1962. Audrey died February 3-1996 at the age of 69.
Audrey was well known for her role as Alice with Jackie Gleason in The Honeymooners which also starred Art Carney.
Audrey was the younger sister of actress Jayne Meadows who was married to television host, Steve Allen.
Audrey Meadows
Audrey Meadows
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the great Thelma Ritter who died on February 5-1969 at age 66. Thelma was born on February 14-1902.

Thelma was nominated six times for Best Supporting Actress.She specialized in working class characters.
1950- All About Eve
1951-:The Mating Season
1952- With A Song In My Heart
1953 - Puck-Up On South Street
1959- Pillow Talk
1962 - Birdman of Alcatraz
Thelma also worked with Doris Day in Move
Over Darling.
Attachments
Thelma Ritter - Pillow Talk -1959
Thelma Ritter - Pillow Talk -1959
Thelma Ritter made every movie she was ever in_.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Johnny

webmaster

She was excellent in The Misfits, with Marilyn Monroe, as well,

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thelma was so good in so many films. Shame she too never got the Oscar - she was nominated so many times.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Nick Adams who died at the age of 36 on February 7-1968. He starred in two films with Doris Day. He was in Teacher's Pet in 1958 and in Pillow Talk in 1959.
Nick Adams starred in the TV series The Rebel and was nominated for an Academy award for best supporting actor in Twilight of Honour in 1963.
Nick Adams
Nick Adams
1000+ images about I Watch on Pinterest _ Film, West Side Story and ___.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Johnny

webmaster

The Secret Hidden Celebrity Cemetery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BrJlfAO3rU

Includes Jack Lemmon, Merv Griffin, etc.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the wonderful S.Z. Zakall who died February 15-1955 at age 72. He starred with Doris in Romance On The High Seas, My Dream is Yours, Tea For Two and Lullaby of Broadway.

On February 15-1984 Ethel Merman died at age 76.

On February 15-996, Doris' co-star McLean Stevenson died at age 66. He starred on The Doris Day Show from 1969 to 1971.
S.Z. Sakall with Janis Paige and Doris Day in Romance On The High Seas -1948
S.Z. Sakall with Janis Paige and Doris Day in Romance On The High Seas -1948
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

John Raitt and Doris Day in The Pajama Game
John Raitt and Doris Day in The Pajama Game
Let us remember Doris' co-star in The Pajama Game John Raitt who died at age 88 on February 20-2005. He was a major Broadway actor who starred in the musicals Carousel and Oklahoma.

Also on February 20-2005, the beautiful Sandra Dee died at the age of 62. She starred as Lana Turner's daughter in Imitation of Life, also in A Summer Place,and Portrait In Black.She was married to singer Bobby Darrin until his sudden death in 1967.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Wow, I didn't realize that it had been so long since John Raitt's passing. He was from my home town, and he and my father had the same accompanist.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the very funny Billy de Wolfe who died March 5, 1974 at the age of 67. He was a very good friend of Doris and starred with her in Tea For Two, Lullaby of Broadway and The Doris Day Show (1970-73).

On March 5-1980, Jay Silverheels who played Tonto in The Lone Ranger television series died at age 67.

On March 5-1981, Brenda De Banzie died at age 64. She starred with Doris in The Man Who Knew Too Much. She also starred in another Hitchcock film, The 39 Steps.

On March 5-1984, William Powell died at age 91. He starred in My Man Godfrey, The Thin Man film series, and How To Marry A Millionaire.
Doris Day and Billy de Wolfe
Doris Day and Billy de Wolfe
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Today, March 6, 2017, Robert Osborne died at age 84. Robert was the charismatic host of Turner Classic Movies from it's beginning in April 1994.
Robert was a journalist and a world-authority on movies. His great passion and love for classic films was evident in his informed discussions with many Hollywood stars such as Sally Field, Robert Wagner, Cher, Doris Day, Lauren Bacall, Alec Baldwin.
Robert often offered details about when and where films opened and how long they ran.
He authored wonderful books on the history of the Academy Awards.
Robert Osborne with Cher
Robert Osborne with Cher
Turner Classic Movies will be doing a special tribute to Robert Osborne.
Johnny