Let Us Remember

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Let Us Remember

Unread post by Musiclover »

A great loss, indeed. Such a classy man.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the beautiful Susan Hayward who died on March 14-1975 at age 57.
Susan was born Edythe Marrenner and was discovered in 1937 as a New York fashion model. She was asked to go to Hollywood to test for the role of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind.

Susan received her first of five Academy Award nominations for best actress in 1947 for Smash-up, The Story of A Woman. In 1949 she was nominated for My Foolish Heart, in 1952, With A Song On My Heart, in 1955 for I'll Cry Tomorrow and finally winning the Oscar in 1958, for I Want To Live.

Susan's grandmother Kate Harrigan was an actress in County Cork, Ireland.Susan acted in several plays n High School and was voted, "Most Dramatic".

Susan acted in the stage play, Mame, in Las Vegas and received good reviews. She was a singer but did not like the sound of her own voice. Her voice was dubbed in With A Song In My Heart but is her own on the music soundtrack album.

Susan's admired Barbara Stanwyck as an actress and as a person. They became friends. She usually remained aloof from top celebrities but was always friendly with the hairdressers, stage hands, and doormen.

Susan's last public appearance was at the Academy Awards on April 2, 1974 when she presented the best actress award. Her introduction described her as a "living miracle". She appeared in a beautiful green gown specifically designed for her. She was accompanied by Charlton Heston. After the awards she suffered a seizure in her car on the way home.

Susan was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1972. It is suspected that while filming The Conqueror with John Wayne in 1956, that she developed cancer from the radioactive fallout in St. George, Utah. 91 of 220 of The Conqueror film cast and crew had died of cancer by the end of 1980. Among those who died of cancer in addition to Susan were John Wayne, Agnes Moorehead, Pedro Armendariz and director Dcl Powell.

Susan had twin sons, Timothy and Gregory Barker from her marriage to Jess Barker.
Susan Hayward
Susan Hayward
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_susan-hayward.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I really liked Susan Hayward.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Patrice Wymore who died on March 22-2014 at the age of 87.

Ms Wymore starred in three films with Doris Day. They were:
Tea For Two
I'll See You In My Dreams
Starlift

She was married to Erroll Flynn.
Patrice Wymore, Doris Day, Danny Thomas -I'll See You In My Dreams
Patrice Wymore, Doris Day, Danny Thomas -I'll See You In My Dreams
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Johnny, I think that "Tea for Two" was Wymore's very first film appearance.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember legend Elizabeth Taylor who died on March 23-2011 at the age of 79.

Among Elizabeth's many great films are:

National Velvet
A Place In The Sun
Raintree County
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Butterfield 8 - won Academy Award -Best Actress -1960
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf -won Academy Award -Best Actress -1966
The Taming of The Shrew
Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

After Doris- no other "star" gets to me as much as Elizabeth- I adore her, her beauty, talent, lack of ego, and of course, her humanitarian works. What a lady.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Richard Widmark who died at the age of 93 on March 24-2008. He was Doris' co-star in The Tunnel of Love.
He was nominated for best supporting actor in 1947 for his role as a psychopath in Kiss of Death.
Other films he starred in:
Night In The City
Panic In The Streets
Judgement At Nuremberg
How The West Was Won
Richard Widmark and Doris Day -Tunnel of Love
Richard Widmark and Doris Day -Tunnel of Love
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Nancy Walker who died on March 25-1992 at the age of 69.

Nancy starred with Doris Day in Lucky Me in 1954. She was best known for her role as Rhoda's mother on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, 1971-74 and then on Rhoda from 1974-78.

Nancy Walker and Doris Day in Lucky Me
Nancy Walker and Doris Day in Lucky Me
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember the great James Cagney who died on March 30-1986 at the age of 86.

Cagney starred in two films with Doris Day. Both films were musicals. The first film is West Point Story and the second is Love Me or Leave Me.
James Cagney won the best actor Academy Award in 1942 for Yankee Doodle Dandy.
James Cagney -July 17-1999 - March 30-1986
James Cagney -July 17-1999 - March 30-1986
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

They also appeared in "Starlift" together. Always thought it was too bad they didn't have more than just a very short dance duet in that picture.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember Doris Day's first film Director, Michael Curtiz who died on April 10-1962. He directed Doris in four films, Romance On The High Seas, My Dream Is Yours, Young Man With A Horn and I'll See You In My Dreams. He was nominated five times for the Academy Award for Best Director winning in 1943 for Casablanca.

On April 10-1965, the beautiful actress Linda Darnell died in a house fire at age 41. She starred in several films opposite Tyrone Power, among them, Brigham Young (1940) and Blood and Sand (1941).
She had the title role in 1947's Forever Amber, and won acclaim for her roles in 1948's Unfaithfully Yours and 1949's A Letter To Three Wives. In the latter she starred with Jeanne Crane and Ann Southern.

On April 10-1975, Marjorie Main died t the age of 85. She had starring roles in 1939's The Women, and was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1947's The Egg And I. She starred in the film series, Ma and Pa Kettle with Percy Kilbride.
Linda Darnell
Linda Darnell
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

What a rich history of the golden age(s) of Hollywood in these posts.

Thanks for reminding us to remember, Johnny,
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan.

Let us remember two wonderful actors:

On April 15-1975, Richard Conte died at the age of 65. He starred in films from the 1940's to the 1970's. In the 1940's he played heroes and villains in many film noir movies. Some of his best films are:
House of Strangers -1949- with Susan Hayward and Edward G. Robinson
Whirlpool -1949- with Gene Tierney
The Blue Gardenia -1953- with Anne Baxter
I'll Cry Tomorrow -1955- with Susan Hayward
The Godfather -1972 - with Al Pacino and Marlon Brando

On April 15-1990, legendary actress, Greta Garbo died at the age of 84.

Greta Garbo was born in Sweden and established herself as a major Hollywood star in the 1930's. In 1929-30 she received her first Academy Award nomination for best actress in two films, Anna Christie and Romance.( The nomination rules have changed since then allowing a nomination for a performance only once in the same category.)

Greta Garbo films are:
Grand Hotel -1932 - with Lionel Barymore and Joan Crawford
Anna Karenina - 1935 - with Basil Rathbon
Camille - 1937 - 2nd Academy Award nomination
with Robert Taylor
Ninotchka -1939 - 3rd Academy Award nomination- with Melvyn Douglas

Greats Garbo retired from films in 1941 at age 35.
Richard Conte
Richard Conte
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

George Sanders who died on April 25-1962 at the age of 65. Sanders won the 1950 best supporting actor award for his role of caustic theater critic, Addison DeWitt in All About Eve.

On April 25-1995, the multi-talented Ginger Rogers died at age 83. She was Fred Astaire's dance partner in Top Hat and several other musicals. In 1940 she won the best actress Oscar for her dramatic role in Kitty Foyle. She played Doris Day's sister in Storm Warning.

On April 25-2009 the wonderful Bea Arthur died at age 86. She starred with Lucille Ball in 1974's Mame. She is best remembered for her work in the television series, All In The Family, Maude, and The Golden Girls.
Ginger Rogers
Ginger Rogers
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

On April 28-1970 Ed Begley died at age 69. He won the best supporting actor academy award in 1962 for Sweet Bird of Youth.

On April 28-1999, Rory Calhoun died at the age of 76. He starred in How To Marry A Millionaire and River of No Return with Marilyn Monroe. He starred with Susan Hayward in I'd Climb The Highest Mountain and in With A Song In My Heart.
Rory Calhoun
Rory Calhoun
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

James Stewart, Alfred Hitchcock and Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much
James Stewart, Alfred Hitchcock and Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much
Let us remember:

Alfred Hitchcock who died on April 29-1980 at age 80. Hitchcock directed Doris Day and James Stewart in The Man Who Knew Too Much, (1956).
He also directed Rear Window, Psycho and The Birds.

Michael Gordon who died on April 29-1993 at age 83. He directed Doris and Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk. He also directed Doris and James Garner in Move Over Darling.

Bob Hoskins who died April 29-2014 at age 71. He was nominated for best actor at the 1986 Academy Awards for his role in Mona Lisa. In 1988 he starred in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? In 1990 he starred with Cher in Mermaids.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

Gia Scala who died April 30-1972 at age 38. She starred with Doris Day and Richard Widmark in The Tunnel of Love in 1957. She also starred in The Guns of Navarone in 1961.

Agnes Moorehead died April 30- 1974 at the age of 73.She starred in Citizen Kane, 1941.
She was nominated four times for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, 1942-The Magnificent Ambersons, 1944-Mrs. Parkington,, 1948-Johnny Belinda and in 1964 for Hush...Hush,Sweet Charlotte.

In 1956, Agnes Moorehead starred in The Conqueror with John Wayne and Susan Hayward which was filmed near a nuclear testing site in Utah. By 1990, 91 of the cast and crew had developed cancer. Forty- six had died including John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Pedro Armendariz, John Hoyt, Agnes Moorehead and Director Dick Powell.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

On May 10th 1964, dancer, Carol Haney who starred with Doris Day in The Pajama Game died at the young age of 35.
Joan Crawford
Joan Crawford
On May 10th, 1977, the legendary Joan Crawford died at the age of 72.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Joan really was young when you think of it.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Joan was a real character - coat-hangers or not! She had to climb out of poverty by her fingernails.

Love all the people you've mentioned, Johnny.

Gosh Gia Scala died young!
Just did a quick search, I didn't know she was born in Liverpool or that:
On April 30, 1972, it all ended for Gia Scala. She was found dead in her Hollywood Hills bedroom following an overdose of alcohol and sleeping pills. This incredible beauty who never reached her full potential in Hollywood instead became another Tinseltown statistic.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0768748/bio
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

On May 13-1961, the wonderful under-stated Gary Copper died at the age of 60. He won the Academy Award for best actor twice, first for Sergeant York in 1942 and in 1952 for High Noon with Grace Kelly.
Gary Cooper
Gary Cooper
Gary Cooper_ _ Wallpaper and background images in the Gary Cooper club ___.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Rita Hayworth
Rita Hayworth
Let Us Remember:

May 14th is an extraordinary day due to the number of memorable, talented actors and bright lights that faded from the silver screen.

On May 14-1970, actress Billie Burke died at age 85. She is immortalized in our memories for her luminous role as Glenda The Good Witch in 1939's classic The Wizard Of Oz.

On May 1980, English actor, Hugh Griffith died at age 67. He won the best supporting actor Academy Award in 1959 for Ben Hur. In 1963 he was nominated again for his role in the best picture, the delightful Tom Jones.

On May 14, 1987, the gorgeous Rita Hayworth died of Alzheimer 's disease at age 68. Among her standout films are: Cover Girl (1944), Gilda, (1946), Rita was sensational - Pal Joey (1957), with Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak. and one of Rita's best dramatic roles, Separate Tables (1958), with Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr.

On May 14-1998, actor and singer Frank Sinatra died at age 82. Frank won the best supporting actor Academy Award in 1953 for his role in From Here To Eternity. In 1954, Frank starred with Doris Day in Young At Heart.

On May 14, 2003, great English actress, Wendy Hiller died st age 91. She won the best supporting actress Academy Award in 1958 for her role in Separate Tables.

On May 14, 2003, actor Robert Stack died at age 84. He was nominated for best supporting actor in 1956 for hs role in Written On The Wind with Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall and Dorothy Malone.
He starred in 1980's hilarious comedy Airplane as Captain Rex.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Rita Hayworth was truly beautiful and seemed to be a really nice lady too - [and great actress] - so sad how she suffered before she died.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Let us remember:

On May 18-2013, actor Steve Forrest died at age 87. He starred with Doris Day and Jack Lemmon in It happened To Jane. He also starred in So Big(1953) with Jane Wyman. In 1962 he starred in The Longest Day.
He was the brother of Dana Andrews who starred with Gene Tierney in Laura. Andrews also starred with Susan Hayward in My Foolish Heart.
Steve Forrest, Doris Day, Jack Lemmon in It Happened To Jane
Steve Forrest, Doris Day, Jack Lemmon in It Happened To Jane
Johnny