Must-See 2019 Films

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Johnny
Honorary Member

Must-See 2019 Films

Unread post by Johnny » 19 Jan 2019, 21:25

Yesterday we went to see Mary Poppins Returns.

The first Mary Poppins film was released in 1964, starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. In Mary Poppins Returns the time period is twenty-five years later. It is the difficult 1930's and the children, Michael and Jane Banks are adults in their 30's. Michael is widower with three children, John. Annabel and George. They have a housekeeper Ellen, played delightfully by Julie Walters. Emily Blunt joyously and effectively plays Mary and Lin Manuel Miranda plays the lamplighter, Jack. Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer play the adult Michael and Jane Banks.

The musical numbers and animation are enthralling. The film moves at a brisk pace and has several surprising cameos.

Mary Poppins Returns is an immediate classic. It is a film that will return to theaters and be shown countless times over the ages. It is a joy to experience.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Must-See 2019 Films

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jan 2019, 05:55

I like the trailer and think I will see it - what is your view Johnny [or anyone] on Julie Andrews turning down a cameo appearance in this?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Jan 2019, 09:59

Has , I did not realize Julie Andrews turned down a cameo. It would be interesting to know why she declined.

Mary Poppins is an iconic character and perhaps Julie would not want to play another role that would detract from the memories. She won the 1964 Academy best actress award for playing Mary.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jan 2019, 12:10

Yes Johnny, I don't know why she turned it down but I respect her decision totally.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 26 Jan 2019, 10:26

Yesterday I went with a friend to see the film Green Book for a second time. It is based on a true story that took place from October to December 1962.

The film stars Viggo Mortensen as Tony Lip who is a driver for jazz musician Don Shirley played by Mahershala Ali. Their eight week road trip is from New York to Louisiana. The film is described as a comedy drama. I would describe the film as an historical drama with many exceptional comedic episodes based on a well written screenplay.

Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali give heart and soul performances. Both actors are nominated for Academy awards this year. The film is one of eight nominated for best picture.
There is a terrific performance by Linda Cardellini as Tony's wife.

I want to give special mention to the Green Book music soundtrack. From beginning to end the film is full of really enjoyable musical pieces. There are partial segments by Little Richard. Chubby Checker, Aretha Franklin as well as classical pieces. The music composer is Kris Bowers. When I checked the original soundtrack on Amazon, I did not see these songs listed.

Green Book is a beautiful uplifting film that will make you laugh and possibly make you cry. I would love to hear from other forum members who see Green Book.
JPosters.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 26 Jan 2019, 12:57

I saw it, Johnny and loved it. In fact, it's my favorite film this year - I hope it wins Best Picture. However, I was greatly disappointed at the start of it. Green Book? Not an adaptation of my memoir! Yikes! lol.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Apr 2019, 12:22

On Tuesday we went to see a marvellous new film called Giant Little Ones at The Tiff Bell Lightbox theater.
It is a coming of age story about Franky and Ballas, two lifelong high school friends on the swim team. On Franky's seventeenth birthday, something unexpected happens between the two friends that traumatizes the friendship and sets the engrossing story in motion.

Josh Wiggins and Darren Mann give standout subtle performances as the friends . Maria Bello and Kyle MacLauchlan play Franky's supportive parents.

Taylor Hickson gives a brilliant performance as Ballas' vulnerable younger sister Natasha who befriends Franky. Another performance that fascinates is Niamh Wilson's as Mouse, Franky's female friend who may or may not be transgender.

The film is beautifully photographed by cinematographer Guy Godfree. The director is Keith Behrman who does an amazing job keeping the story focused on the troubled high school friends both in and out of school.

The music soundtrack by Michael Brook is perfect for this film and energizes the story.

Giant Little Ones is a jewel of a film that could be easily overlooked with all the action films out. It is an intelligent, emotional and thoughtful drama that is a must-see film for 2019.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Jun 2019, 20:03

Last night we went to an advance screening of a most delightful film called Yesterday. It is musical romantic comedy celebrating the iconic music of The Beatles. The film is directed beautifully by Danny Boyle who directed Shindig Millionaire.

The film stars Himish Patel as Jack and Lily James as Ellie who are really charming and engaging. Kate Mc Limbo stars as the temperamental Hollywood music producer Debbie. She is hilarious. Joel Fry stars as quirky Rocky who is Jack's best friend. He steals every scene. Ed Sheeren is a delight.
Yesterday is the perfect 2019 summer feel-good movie for everyone.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Jul 2019, 11:29

I am excited to share with you the news about a new film called The Last Black Man in San Francisco. I loved it so much I plan to see it again.

It is a beautiful, lyrical film that speaks to home, hope, love, loss, family and friendship. The poetic screenplay is written by Jimmie Fails and Joe Talbot. It is an exquisite first time script for both writer. Jimmie Fails who plays the lead character (Jimmie) in the film and Joe Talbot who is also the director. The story moves at a leisurely pace that allows the audience to savour every scene. The cinematography is glorious and takes you right into the scenes. There is a brilliant supporting performance by Jonathan Majors who plays Jimmie's childhood friend Montgomery. Danny Glover plays Montgomery's blind grandfather.

Jonathan Majors should be nominated for an Academy Award. The film should be nominated for best direction, screenplay, lead actor and best picture.

The story is character driven and unfolds in a mysterious and engaging manner. There are many quirky moments that are truly interesting and rather funny. There is a magnificent Victorian house in the Fillmore district in San Francisco that I consider serves as a lead character.

The beautiful music soundtrack caught my attention when I heard Joni Mitchell singing Blue. There are also songs by Sweetwater.

If any DD forum members see this film, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try to drum up support for this quiet exquisite film so it is not overlooked. Please help by spreading the word.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 28 Aug 2019, 18:09

If any forum member is looking for a really good film that has music, drama, comedy and a good story, I would like to recommend Blinded By The Light.

The story is set in Luton England in 1987 during a time of political, economic and racial strife.

The story centers around a teen named Javed and his family. Javed writes poetry as a way to escape the intolerance in his hometown. He is introduced to the music of Bruce Springsteen and he identifies with the working class lyrics in the songs. He becomes obsessed with the music.

Javed is played by the strong young actor, Viveik Kaira. There is a great performance by Kulvinder Ghir who plays Javed's traditional father. Hayley Atwell plays Javed's supportive teacher.

There are 12 Bruce Springsteen songs on the soundtrack including The Promised Land, Born To Run, Badlands, Hungry Heart and The River.

It is a film that should not be missed.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Sep 2019, 08:45

I want to share with forum members news about one of the most enjoyable and extraordinary films I have seen in 2019.

The film is called The Peanut Butter Falcon. It is the story of a young 22 year old man with Down Syndrome who runs away in his underwear from a North Carolina retirement nursing home. His dream is to become a professional wrester.

Zak's adventure takes him through the backwater swamps and woods of North Carolina to Florida. He meets Tyler, an angry young man who is also on the run from two men who want to hurt. Eleanor starts a journey to look for Zak.

The film stars Zack Gottsagen as the young man Zak, Shia LaBeouf as Tyler and Dakota Johnson as Eleanor who plays Zak's support worker. The cinematography is captivating, the screenplay is fresh , and the acting is totally engaging. Look for Bruce Dern and Thomas Haden Church in supporting roles.

I loved that the film is never condescending to a person with an intellectual challenge. Diversity is embraced with having an actor with Down Syndrome in a leading role. This film explores themes of independence, caring, and authentic relationships. There is a lot of action and a lot of heart.

It is a don't miss film.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Oct 2019, 20:32

Last week we went to see the film Downton Abbey. It was a glorious cinematic exsperience from beginning to end. The film which moves at a brisk pace is effectively directed by Michael Engler.

The story centers around a 1927 visit by King George the fifth and his wife Queen Mary visiting Downton Abbey. This event puts the upstairs Crawley family and the downstairs staff in a tizzy.

The script is beautifully written with crisp and bright dialogue. Maggie Smith who stars as Lady Violet steals every scene.

The cinematography is breathtaking and exceptionally enjoyable. It is a majestic exsperience.

All the original actors from the Downton Abbey television series reprise their roles. One does not have to have seen the TV series to enjoy the film.

The film was such a pleasure to see, we went back to see Downton Abbey a second time and found it just as satisfying as the first time.
Johnny