Barbra Streisand Concert in London

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Barbra Streisand Concert in London

Unread post by jmichael »

Voila! Thank you webmaster!

This is her 1973 cover of Stevie Wonder's All In Love Is Fair, another lesser known gem IMO.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Well done, Michael! 8)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

© Rex Features Barbra Streisand said Michael Jackson's 'sexual needs were his sexual needs'

Barbra Streisand has said Michael Jackson's accusers were "thrilled" to be at his Neverland ranch - and that the alleged abuse "didn't kill them".
In an interview with The Times, the Oscar-winning actress and singer said she believed the allegations made by James Safechuck and Wade Robson in the documentary Leaving Neverland.
The men, now in their 30s, claim the pop star sexually abused them from the ages of 10 and seven respectively after inviting them and their families to his Neverland ranch. Streisand said she felt bad for both men but failed to blame Jackson.

"His sexual needs were his sexual needs, coming from whatever childhood he had or whatever DNA he had," she said. "You can say 'molested', but those children, as you heard say (the grown-up Robson and Safechuck), they were thrilled to be there. "They both married and they both have children, so it didn't kill them."
When asked if she was angry with the late singer, she added: "It's a combination of feelings. I feel bad for the children. I feel bad for him.
"I blame, I guess, the parents, who would allow their children to sleep with him. Why would Michael need these little children dressed like him and in the shoes and the dancing and the hats?"
Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ja ... spartandhp

Very interesting 'take' on the revelations and brave of her to express her views in that way, I think.
Although I don't agree with her.

jmichael
Honorary Member

She bungled that response completely by defending Jackson and throwing the parents under the bus. She has no direct knowledge of what Jackson's "needs" were or what went on at Neverland, so why make excuses for him? A simple "no comment" or expression of sympathy for the victims would have been sufficient.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Have to agree with you there, Michael. She almost seems to be saying Jackson's sexual desires were legitimate. It's one thing to have those feelings but it's a totally different thing to subject children to them. I saw Leaving Neverland and found it really shocking. It was obvious that he groomed the parents as well as the children. In some way, he was lucky he died as I think he'd be in prison today.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Barbra wrote what I consider to be a sincere and heartfelt apology on her Instagram feed.

"MARCH 23, 2019, 4:24pm
I am profoundly sorry for any pain or misunderstanding I caused by not choosing my words more carefully about Michael Jackson and his victims, because the words as printed do not reflect my true feelings. I didn’t mean to dismiss the trauma these boys experienced in any way. Like all survivors of sexual assault, they will have to carry this for the rest of their lives. I feel deep remorse and I hope that James and Wade know that I truly respect and admire them for speaking their truth…it’s the only way to heal."

Well said and I believe her.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

"The words as printed do not reflect my true feelings", Barbra said. I believe that, people in the news often get misquoted or their words are taken out of context.

I originally thought that she was presenting a less-emotional philosophical attitude to the situation, (Paraphrase: "It didn't kill them, they liked the attention and they got eventually got married.) That made me think! Pedophilia is a very emotional issue and I think that we should try and take some of the emotion out of it where possible. I sometimes think that 'bad people' are like machines that have broken down or are malfunctioning! So I thought that what she said was interesting but almost immediately saw the flaws in that argument, which she probably wasn't making.

Anyway, Barbra Streisand is a lovely woman and I think that all she was trying to was be non-judgmental of her then friend Michael Jackson.