Introduction

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
sihmonSELV
Spam Prevention: Yes

Introduction

Unread post by sihmonSELV »

Hello all!

Having been a "lurker" on this forum for several years, I thought it was about time I actually registered. Thankfully, the kind webmaster also let me do that. :wink:

I'm 40 years old, and have spent, oh, let's say maybe the past 30 years enjoying Doris Day's singing and movies. Actually, I think I'm a little bit unusual in that way, because Doris was always a singer for me, not so much a movie star, even though I've eventually also seen all of her movies. But the singing definitely came first with me. What is not unusual though, I should think, is the fact that my first song of hers was "Whatever Will Be, Will Be" on 78. :D That was enough to fall in love. Doris' singing abilities were really extraordinary. Well, as you all already know. :)

I appreciate the fact that there are more people that also enjoy her art. Thanks for all your insights, that I have already enjoyed.

Simon

On Moonlight Bay

Re: Introduction

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay »

Welcome to the forum, Simon, glad you decided to join us at last!

What are your favourite songs and films of Doris? Maybe top three or so, apart from Que Sear, Sera?

sihmonSELV

Many thanks for the welcome!

There are so many recordings that are up there, but I managed to narrow it down to three:
Don't Take Your Love from Me
Who Knows What Might Have Been
You're Good for Me

These are favourites on any given day!

I added another category, too: My favourite Doris Day original albums:
Day by Day
I Have Dreamed
Duet

I think "Day by Day" is an absolute masterpiece. Hearing the first few notes on "The Song is You" always sends a soothing feeling spreading through my body.

As for the movies:
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Calamity Jane
Midnight Lace

But, of course, for instance "On Moonlight Bay" is also incredibly charming and very funny. So, it's hard to pick only three.

Thanks for your interest! What are your favourites? (Anyone may reply, of course! :D)

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Glad to have you on board, Simon.Welcome!
Like Irene Dunne done.

sihmonSELV

Thanks Howard!

Here's hoping this board can keep going for a long time yet. :) I don't know what kept me from contributing before - I've been checking in every now and then.

"Every now and then you come around, when there's nothing else for you to do ..." :lol:

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Hi Simon, Glad you made it!

Like your film choice, hard to choose, I know, but for me Love Me or Leave Me would definitely be in the top three, along with Calamity.

I Have Dreamed and Duet are two of my favourites as well. Also, Cuttin' Capers, which I think might have been the first DD album I bought. In fact, Fit As a Fiddle (And Ready for Love) has been going through my head since yesterday so I thought I'd see if it was on YouTube, and it is!

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Welcome aboard, Simon. As someone whose father was a classically trained vocalist, I began hearing music while still in the womb! I can listen to Doris's singing every day and not tire of it. She had such talent in so many areas that it's impossible to narrow down my favorites in any category to just 3; however . . .

. . . "Who Knows What Might Have Been" is certainly among Doris's recordings near the top of my list, too, as are "Blues in the Night" and "Stars Fell on Alabama."

I think her "Day by Day" and "Day by Night" albums are superb, as is "Latin for Lovers."

As for her movies, to me "I'll See You in My Dreams," "Love Me or Leave Me" and "The Thrill of It All" are very special.

sihmonSELV

Thanks for your welcomes and comments! It's good to hear about what others particularly enjoy by Doris! :D

I realise that I haven't exactly made myself an invaluable part of this community, but as - perhaps - the time for this forum is limited, I feel I don't have time to beat around the bush. So, here goes: I am very much interested in the latest Real Gone Music CD release of this year, "Early Day - Rare Songs from the Radio - 1939-1950", but as I don't have a US address, it is not available to me. I've been looking high and low (figuratively speaking, of course :lol:) on the Internet, but the CD simply is not available anywhere else except through the DDAF.

Would anyone be willing to help me out? Either by making some arrangement that would enable to me to buy the CD, or by sharing its contents?

Of course, if the answer is no, then the answer is no. :roll: :wink: Answers here or privately.

Also, I'm thinking about how to present my list of Doris' recordings on this forum. Well, it's a work in progress, and obviously owes a lot to both the marvellous discography of Texas Gonzalo and the remarkable research of Peter Flapper, but it's still an attempt to make a lot of their information possible to overview (I hope). And I would want to pose questions where there is something I don't know (which will be a lot of times).

How do I best go about this? Start a new topic? :?:

webmaster

Hi Simon,

Yes, I think a new topic in the Doris Day Music section is a good idea,

Good luck with what you're looking for.

Bryan

sihmonSELV

Well, I jumped in the deep end a bit, because it turns out I wasn't quite prepared yet, to publish want I have in mind.

But I'll try to do it in the next few days! :D

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Welcome Simon.

:D :D :D

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Simon,

Love to see your Doris song list. And if I can help, let me know. I'm in The Netherlands, so I can't help you to a copy of that cd.

Always find it strange, that DDAF doesn't make their stuff available to the rest of the world. There are a lot of Doris fans all over the world.

I am aware that the post sending prices are high, but as a good friend always says in Dutch (beter te duur dan niet te koop, better to expansive than not for sale)

Hope to hear from you,

Peter

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Extending a hearty welcome to Simon.

My favorite albums in no particular order:

Duet
Day By Night
Day By Day
Latin For Lovers
The Love Me Or Leave Me Soundtrack

My favorite films in no particular order:

Romance On The High Seas
Love Me Or Leave Me
Pillow Talk
The Thrill Of It All
The Man Who Knew Too Much

I think her directness is the greatest quality she possesses as a singer. She gets to the heart of the lyric in a very direct, intimate way without doing anything that isn't necessary. Her phrasing and sense of rhythm are impeccable. I find her singing to be soothing, uplifting and utterly sincere.

That same directness is a hallmark of her acting. You believe her completely because she renders the truth of the character she plays. Everything she does rings true to the character.

Again, welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing yourself to us.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

sihmonSELV

Thank you, Peter and Michael, for the welcomes!

As you can see, I have started publishing my list of recordings. Don't hesitate to help out with anything, big or small! 8)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Hi Jane.

webmaster

I gave you an avatar, Simon - or you can upload your own, max size 150px wide x 200px high. :)

Have moved Jane's introduction, Jas, so you might want to delete that and reply in new topic.