Did Doris Lend Her Name to A Fur Company in the 50's

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
docwheels
Spam Prevention: Yes

Did Doris Lend Her Name to A Fur Company in the 50's

Unread post by docwheels »

1955_VF_doris day inc_ad.jpg
Was doing some database searching in prep for teaching my "Jung, Doris Day, and Hope" course again in the fall - this time via Zoom - and ran across something that has me curious.

Attached is a 1955 Vanity Fair ad for Doris Day Inc - America's most honored name in furs.

I did learn that Doris Day Inc used to be the Seymour Grean Fur Company. I'm not having any luck finding out the history of Grean or Doris Day Inc.

With all the Doris Day historians on this site - I'm wondering if any of you know if Doris "lent" her name to this fur company during this time? Maybe one of Marty's money-making schemes?

Just curious - it was something I hadn't see before.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Did Doris Lend Her Name to A Fur Company in the 50's

Unread post by webmaster »

Hi, docwheels! I came across this page from a 1954 ad:
DORIS DAY INC. WHOLESALE FUR CATALOG 1954 "AMERICA'S MOST HONORED NAME IN FURS"
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1724249268

She's on record as saying:
Killing an animal to make a coat is sin. It wasn't meant to be, and we have no right to do it. A woman gains status when she refuses to see anything killed to be put on her back. Then she's truly beautiful.”
Not sure when she said this but she was wearing furs when she came to London to film scenes for The Man Who Knew Too Much in 1956, so not sure of what to make of it. Maybe Martin Melcher or an agent signed her up for it before she decided it was cruel to wear animal fur?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering