Doris Day Photos started 20 Aug 2009

Pics and images posted by Forum members
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Photos started 20 Aug 2009

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous pics,

I LOVE the one from Young at Heart and on the set of Pajama Game particularly and always wanted to see a pic of Doris meeting Diana Dors. This was a big thing for Diana [at the time called the Britains' Marilyn Monroe]- she referred to it in her book many years later.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I've never seen that picture from the Pajama Game. Puck you are truly a pleasure!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Mammie, how I luv ya, my little mammie. -- from I'll see you in my dreams.

http://drx.typepad.com/.shared/image.ht ... dreams.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Gerald, love that picture !
How about this one, I don't know on which movie set this was, she looks great.

http://i26.tinypic.com/24ou9ua.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i29.tinypic.com/okaj6d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i27.tinypic.com/314t475.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Could that be a swimming pool scene? The Thrill of it all (hairstyle looks similar) or Move Over Darling?
I'd love to know. :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

It's from "Move Over, Darling." I believe this is the outfit she wore after her dip in the car wash.
Like Irene Dunne done.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

You're exactly right Howard!! It's funny, that's the exact movie I'm watching right now.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Howard you are wonderful, thank you.

webmaster

I think we've got the most amazing collection of photos on this site (if you save each page as a complete html page you will save all the images as well).

And I'll echo Jas' comment about the pic with Diana Dors below (OUR blond bomshell) - that is a very rare pic - wonder if there are any more from that occasion?

It just struck me, looking at it, what perfect posture Doris had - look at how straight her back is.

Diana

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Who is Diana Dors?
Megan
-----------------

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Here's another shot of Doris with Diana Dors.

Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Great shot - thanks Howard.

Megan, Diana Dors was a kind of English Marilyn Monroe, a blond sex symbol from the fifties/sixties who could also act. She died of cancer in 1984. Although she played the sex symbol, she was much loved by the British public and her own life story was as interesting as the parts she played. In her twilight years, she battled with her weight and as she aged went into character acting and TV.

This is her website: http://www.dianadors.co.uk
and on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Dors

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The pic of Doris from Move Over Darling- shows how great her own hair was/ is - why oh why did she not use her own hair in this film, rather than those wigs - most of which were not the most flattering!

webmaster

Jas, as they say, "That's Show Business"! :wink:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Thanks for the information Bryan! I love Doris' natural hair, I wish my hair were like that.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Bryan, I also noticed how straight her back is. When I first thought about her wonderful posture, I was watching her singing "Follow Me" with John Denver, when Doris was sitting on the floor yet, with her back very straight.
She has that classic dancers body! It's a good thing she has such good posture, because she has had some back problems. she said in some interview, (read it I think) she had back surgery. She had problems with her neck too.
She looks so strong and healthy, but even she has some health issues! She is still strong and healthy. She's living a long life after all! :D What a lady!

webmaster

Yes, Lisa, I noticed it because my other half is always going on at me about my posture - I tend to stoop a bit unless I watch it and have to make a conscious effort to keep my back straight so that photo really impacted me. Her back was a perfect straight line, emphasised by the long white coat she was wearing. I doubt if she 'worked out' in the way people do these days (going to the gym) but she always looked so fit and health during that period and we know she rode her bike a lot, played tennis, golf, swam and so on, and even though she said she used to eat loads she never put on weight. And, of course, she danced a lot! And sang! The perfect lifestyle!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re- hair- I can understand wigs if the actor/ actress doesn't have great hair or to add length [as in season 2 of Doris' show] - however, generally, I think the films where they use Doris' own [magnificent] hair; are far more flattering.

For Example:- Young at Heart/ Pajama Game/ Pillow Talk/ Lover come back/ Midnight Lace/ Daisies.../ That Touch of Mink [perhaps one added piece in the evening dress scene]/ Thrill of It All/ Do Not Disturb and Glass Bottom Boat.

webmaster

Jas, that reminds me of what our dear departed film reviewer, Ralph McKnight, had to say about her hair in "Move Over Darling". :)

"The stylist who did Doris Day's hair and wigs must have just gotten out of the insane asylum. They changed her hair, mid scene, and changed it back. Maybe they shot the scene twice with different hair and spliced them together. Anyway! So you won't go crazy if you see it, the scene is when she asks Garner, "did you tell her that you loved her?" during his honeymoon with Bergen."

http://www.dorisday.net/move_over_darling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lifestyle:- Doris' healthy living at a time when it was not the norm [certainly in Hollywood] has stood her well. The cycling, swimming etc along with little alcohol and no smoking [or very little], has worked wonders for her. As Joan Collins has said - 'One gets the face one deserves [has earned] by 40...' or words to that affect!

Re- hair: - Yes, it is just that Doris had fabulous hair - maybe the wigs were for a mixture of reasons, I recall her ribs were hurt on Mover over Darling - so maybe wigs helped prevent time spent in the stylist's chair - just a thought?

Re Ralph's hair comments: - Funny, but we must recall that Barbara Lampson was responsible for hair in MOD- as she wasin other films that most of us like [hair stakes] - such as Glass Bottom Boat and Eggroll.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

Jas1 wrote:Yes, it is just that Doris had fabulous hair - maybe the wigs were for a mixture of reasons, I recall her ribs were hurt on Mover over Darling - so maybe wigs helped prevent time spent in the stylist's chair - just a thought?
A lot of actresses wear wigs, even today, as it saves wear and tear on their own hair. Studio lighting can be very harsh and drying on your hair, plus constantly styling your hair stresses the hair and again causes it to dry out and become brittle.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Doris was in great shape and its clear she took care of herself. She was a very active lady much like Jackie Kennedy, (who was actually in good shape despite her chain smoking) She too, ran, biked, swam, played tennis and rode horses and did yoga.

As for wigs, my mother's hairdresser cut Doris's hair for the TV series. He didn't style it, but he said that her hair was pretty thin and damaged from the streaking and chemicals used to color hair over the years. Wigs, or falls or half wigs and pieces were used to make it look fuller. Don't forget, chemicals back then were much more harsh than today.

Also that was the style. Everyone wore wigs back then whether they "needed to" or not. But they seemed to do a better job of disguising it. Today, wigs, I think, are more obvious than in the sixties.

Jackie Kennedy wore wigs, Joan Kennedy, Ethel Kennedy, the Supremes, Mary Tyler Moore. Ask any woman who was in their 20s or 30s in the 1960s and I bet they owned some hairpiece!

webmaster

Interesting, Jake - thanks for that.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Jake~

If your mother's hairdresser cut Doris' hairdresser for the series, what was the purpose of Barbara Lampson? She's credited in the series as Doris' hairdresser. I believe that she's the one who also gave Doris those great cuts from "Boat" and other comedies of the 60s and that supposedly is why Doris brought her over for the series.

Just wondering.

Lauren

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Doris had a very good friend in "Old Faithful" as she called it - It was a piece that Barbie Lampson used to add height and fullness to Doris's hair in her TV series - maybe she had it earlier than that, but I saw it many times as I worked with Doris during her 4th and 5th season on TV....

Think she looked really great in Glass Bottom Boat - that style looked fabulous on her. Never thought she looked that great in the really long hair in later years. She is BEAUTIFUL, but the long hair,to me, was not that becoming to her in her later years. Her page boy look is a classic as was the style she used on her series.

Yes, Doris was athletic before it was in style - she rode her bike almost daily when not filming, she swam often in her pool, used a slant board (and yes, I had to get one, too!) and ate nutritious food. She had a juicer and used it...I learned a lot about living healthy from her and am grateful to Doris for that. She is one wise lady who was way ahead of her time....it's no wonder she is living a good, clean, LONG. healthy life. God bless you Clara!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."