Doris Day Photos started 20 Aug 2009

Pics and images posted by Forum members
littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Doris Day Photos started 20 Aug 2009

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Yet, she still likes candy! She ate all my chewy Texas Praline candy!! :D Lol!

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Pinetree~

Is there a back story about the candy?

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

RE: Doris' Hair:

To me, as an objective bystander, Doris' hair is one of her assets, her crowning glory.

Look at her hair during the Best Friends years and Golden Globes 1989- there was no false hair there and Doris' hair looks glowing and thick.

This observation is backed up by several things:-

1/- I am not doubting what Jake says but we must remember at this time [her TV show]= Doris was highly stressed in the aftermath of Marty's death; near bankruptcy; getting used to the rigours of TV; the Manson murder/ trials; Terry's accident, not to mention the fact she was in the midst of a very stressful court case against Rosenthal, that could have gone any way, at that time she had no way of knowing the outcome. All this stress may well [as it can do] have had an adverse affect on Doris' hair;

2/- As stated above, Doris' hair even in her 60s and 70s glowed and would have been an asset to a woman in her 30s/ 40s or 50s!

3/ In her book Doris refers to women who have 'very fine hair that won't hold a curl...' she goes on to say 'If I had hair like that, I would either have my hair cut short and shaped by a really good hairdresser...or I would grow it very long and wear it as I once did, piled on top...' The 'if' here and pictures of the time make it obvious Doris does not have fine hair!

4/ Doris told fans at the 1987 convention [when explaining why she had her hair cut short- See the pic with Ray] - that she had thick hair that was hard to control and the humidity in Carmel played havoc with her hair - hence the new [at that time] short cut that was easier to manage.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Lauren, About the candy, I sent her Texas Praline candy for her birthday. I received a beautiful letter from her, and she said she loved the candy and ate the whole box! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

In 1993 when I attended the Carmel afternoon and evening event which was covered by Entertainment Tonight. Doris saw my Sweat shirt that had a photo on it from when I met her in 1987 at the convention and she replied that she told her hairdresser that she had that short cut and might try it again! Looking back the photo t-shirt was kind of tacky but Doris seemed to like it! Everyone else probably found it strange!LOL Doris makes you feel good no matter what!!! :D

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

To get back to the topic.. :)

Puck sent me some images - here are just a couple - wondered if anyone knew anything about this particular house Doris lived in?

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, Bryan. That is Doris' second house in Toluca Lake. She and Marty bought it in 1951 from Martha Raye for $42,000, including the furnishings. They moved into it the day they returned from their honeymoon. The house is still standing and looks pretty much the same on the outside. (Doris' first house in Toluca Lake was demolished to make way for the 134 Freeway.)
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Wow, How beautiful! The house is elegant, yet not overly fancy. That figures, because Doris is down to earth.

webmaster

Thanks John, that's really interesting. So that furniture and decore is Martha's? Seems at odds with the title of the piece! Wow imagine that for $42,000, including the furnishings! Although obviously that was worth a lot more in 1951.

Not having heard of Toluca Lake, I did a search:
"Toluca Lake is a district in the San Fernando Valley region of the city of Los Angeles, California, 12 miles (19 km) north of downtown Los Angeles. Toluca Lake started out as farmland but today is home to affluent residents. Past and present residents include Bob Hope, W.C. Fields, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Gene Autry, Doris Day, Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, Andy Griffith, Kirsten Dunst, Miley Cyrus, Rick Dees, Goldie Hawn, Henry Winkler, Andy Garcia, Markie Post, James Garner, Ron Howard, and Amelia Earhart,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluca_Lak ... California

BTW - I've made some of Puck's photos and artwork into a YouTube:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2906

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Well, I noticed the article said that even though the house came furnished, Doris did decorate it. Not sure how much she did.

She did say in her book that one reason she was so excited about moving into the Beverly Hills house in 1955 was that it was the first home she ever had that she furnished and decorated completely herself to her own taste, since all her prior homes had come furnished.

If I have time, I'll swing by this weekend and take a pic of the outside of the house as it is today and post it here.

webmaster

She did say in her book that one reason she was so excited about moving into the Beverly Hills house in 1955 was that it was the first home she ever had that she furnished and decorated completely herself to her own taste.
That rings a bell, John. That must be true then - it makes sense too, she wouldn't want to be surrounded by someone else's furniture. She was a big star at the time having made "Calamity Jane" and money can't have been a problem. Be nice to see a photo of it as it is now if you are able to do that.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

doris-day-fan wrote:Doris had a very good friend in "Old Faithful" as she called it - It was a piece that Barbie Lampson used to add height and fullness to Doris's hair in her TV series - maybe she had it earlier than that, but I saw it many times as I worked with Doris during her 4th and 5th season on TV....

Think she looked really great in Glass Bottom Boat - that style looked fabulous on her. Never thought she looked that great in the really long hair in later years. She is BEAUTIFUL, but the long hair,to me, was not that becoming to her in her later years. Her page boy look is a classic as was the style she used on her series.

Yes, Doris was athletic before it was in style - she rode her bike almost daily when not filming, she swam often in her pool, used a slant board (and yes, I had to get one, too!) and ate nutritious food. She had a juicer and used it...I learned a lot about living healthy from her and am grateful to Doris for that. She is one wise lady who was way ahead of her time....it's no wonder she is living a good, clean, LONG. healthy life. God bless you Clara!!!

Mary Anne

love the dutch bob look too!

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Jake~

If your mother's hairdresser cut Doris' hairdresser for the series, what was the purpose of Barbara Lampson? She's credited in the series as Doris' hairdresser. I believe that she's the one who also gave Doris those great cuts from "Boat" and other comedies of the 60s and that supposedly is why Doris brought her over for the series.

Just wondering.

Lauren

It was a quite a while ago when I spoke to him and I was just a kid. mid 1980's. From what I understand he did the basic cut and gave it the line. Barbara Lampson was the stylist whi was responsible for setting, styling, attaching the falls or hairpieces and giving her the overall style. He was not the chief hairdresser for Doris.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Jas1 wrote:RE: Doris' Hair:

To me, as an objective bystander, Doris' hair is one of her assets, her crowning glory.

Look at her hair during the Best Friends years and Golden Globes 1989- there was no false hair there and Doris' hair looks glowing and thick.

This observation is backed up by several things:-

1/- I am not doubting what Jake says but we must remember at this time [her TV show]= Doris was highly stressed in the aftermath of Marty's death; near bankruptcy; getting used to the rigours of TV; the Manson murder/ trials; Terry's accident, not to mention the fact she was in the midst of a very stressful court case against Rosenthal, that could have gone any way, at that time she had no way of knowing the outcome. All this stress may well [as it can do] have had an adverse affect on Doris' hair;

2/- As stated above, Doris' hair even in her 60s and 70s glowed and would have been an asset to a woman in her 30s/ 40s or 50s!

3/ In her book Doris refers to women who have 'very fine hair that won't hold a curl...' she goes on to say 'If I had hair like that, I would either have my hair cut short and shaped by a really good hairdresser...or I would grow it very long and wear it as I once did, piled on top...' The 'if' here and pictures of the time make it obvious Doris does not have fine hair!

4/ Doris told fans at the 1987 convention [when explaining why she had her hair cut short- See the pic with Ray] - that she had thick hair that was hard to control and the humidity in Carmel played havoc with her hair - hence the new [at that time] short cut that was easier to manage.
Make no mistake, I love her hair too!!! It really was her trademark next to her freckles and smile. She had great hairstyles in just about all her films. Esp from the 1960's

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I own all the boxed sets of The Doris Day Show. On two of the shows, Doris does the commentary!
She laughed at her hair-do with the knot on top of her head! I always thought that was a funny style too, but anything looks great on her anyway.
Something else Doris said, was that in the movies they have a color test before they film, just to see what looks best on camera. I can't remember what colors she wore, but I know it was a simple outfit, slacks and a shirt. I believe one of the colors is light brown. She hated how it looked on camera, and said a number of times how terrible that looked. (They don't do color tests on TV.) Hey, it looked good to me! I believe this commentary was on the show when her sweet dog Biggest was on it. When she found dogs locked up in a car, and took it among herself to rescue them.
I sure wish she would have done some commentaries on some of her movies!

John M
Honorary Member

Doris' Toluca Lake house 2009

Unread post by John M »

As promised, I swung by Doris' Toluca Lake home this weekend and snapped a few pics of what it looks like today. Very similar to how it looked in the '50's. It has been kept up beautifully by subsequent owners. This is Doris' 2nd home in Toluca Lake; the one she lived in with Marty after they married. Her first home in TL was razed to make way for the 134 Freeway.

It's on a beautiful, wide street that looks like a cul-de-sac, but really isn't. The house is so big you can't get it all in one picture unless you park the car and take it from across the street, but I didn't really have time to do that. But you get an idea of the size of it.

John M
Honorary Member

With Six You Get Eggroll house 2009

Unread post by John M »

Since the Toluca Lake house is literally just around the corner from the house they used in With Six You Get Eggroll, I swung around to get a pic or two of that house today. It's being rennovated in a MAJOR way. Here it is today, alongside a pic I posted here of it a couple of years ago, when it still looked just like it did when Doris filmed a few scenes in front of it.

And, lastly, both houses are but about a few blocks from Warner Bros., so I snapped a pic of Gate #2, which was featured in a scene in It's A Great Feeling. Not changed too much.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Thanks for the photos! I think Doris' Tocula Lake house is a far better home that her home in Beverly but prices in TL are far less than BH - and so Doris and Marty probably bought what they thought at the time was enough for them. Her home in Beverly was called by some as "modest." It was too close to the curb but they bought it *before* Pillow Talk and the onslaught of fans coming to Hollywood to see Doris.

I learned that her home in TL was only 2 blocks from Warners, which explains why she was able to ride her bike to rerecord parts of "Secret Love." When I first read that, I couldn't figure out why on earth anyone would let her ride her bike to Columbia Records but actually she went to WB to fix the sound track.

Lauren

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:I think Doris' Tocula Lake house is a far better home that her home in Beverly but prices in TL are far less than BH - and so Doris and Marty probably bought what they thought at the time was enough for them. Her home in Beverly was called by some as "modest." It was too close to the curb but they bought it *before* Pillow Talk and the onslaught of fans coming to Hollywood to see Doris.
That true Lauren. It's funny but the square footage of the TL house is 5,673 and it was valued at $418,000 for property tax purposes in 2008 (NOT selling price) while the BH house had square footage of only 4,309 but was valued at $6,900,000 for property tax purposes. As the saying goes... location, location, location!

And, most importantly, there's no "Nate & Al's" in Toluca Lake! :lol:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I love Doris' Tocula Lake house!!! When I grow up, I want to live in a house that looks like that! It's beautiful!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

John~
OMG! Nate & Als. Love, love, love it! What history. And it was one of Doris' haunts. Guess Mary Anne has told you all about NAA as she and Dor had breakfast there many times. Also, Doris loved Bailey's Bakery, which is where I met her and we all hung out together every Saturday morning. Mary Anne and I still comment that if that were taking place today that it just would not happen. What with camera phones, computers, cell phones, Tweets and all - word would have gotten out around the world that Doris was in Bailey's and there would have been tons of fans going in there. As it was, we literally had Doris all to ourselves....all to ourselves! It's still just like a dream, but it happened.

When Doris and Marty moved to BH back in 1957, the town part must have been much smaller and traffic less congested than when I lived in L.A. back in the 70s. Doris was able to ride her bike, however, the few blocks that it took to get to the town, although, as I remember, it was uphill going back to her home.

Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Thanks for the pictures! They are amazing!! I find it so neat that they still have the building where she did With Six You Get Egg roll. The Warner Brothers one is very nice too.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

Great photos, John - thanks so much for taking and sharing them.

And thanks Lauren for the memories - times were certainly different then by the sound of it. It must be bitter-sweet recalling that period, fantastic that it happened but sad that it's gone.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Many thanks for sharing the lovely pictures and memories.

Find on the internet site with pictures of our Miss Day.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f95/do ... 41265.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and on ebay

This last one is a TCM poster by Jeff Marschall.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I love the poster, and the ones of her and Marty.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss