2015 Doris Day Pictures

Pics and images posted by Forum members
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: 2015 Doris Day Pictures

Unread post by webmaster »

Good.

I hope we haven't put anyone off uploading photos - please continue.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Here's a March, 1989 newspaper piece about "Sleeping Dogs" The project came about right after Doris appeared at the Golden Globes that year. It was one of the first offers she received.

Doris Day, 64, has been semiretired for quite a while now. It's not that she doesn't want to work before the cameras, she tells me; it's just that she can't find a script to her liking. Things are looking up, though. Hollywood insiders assure me Doris will return to the screen in a flick titled Sleeping Dogs. She will play the heavy dramatic part of a mute woman sentenced to a mental institution for a crime she didn't commit.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I can't quite see her in that role, Paul! :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

The picture of Doris and Barry and Barry riding his bike was taken near the Beverly Hills Hotel and actually ran in Parade Magazine at the time (either 1978 or 1979, will have to go and check for my copy in one of 35 scrapbooks). They'd gone over for brunch and because the paparazzi was taking pictures of them, Doris left to get away from them and left her bike at the hotel. Barry went and retrieved it later that day. The Bermuda shorts shot in Miss Day's backyard was taken over the hedge in 1968 and ran in one of the fan magazines at the time. While the woman with her back to the camera is not identified, I believe it may be Miss Day's friend, Ruth Williams...hard to tell from that angle.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Bryan - The piece about "Sleeping Dogs" ran throughout the country in various newspapers in March of 1989 and what appealed to her was the agreement that it would be shot entirely in Carmel and she would not have to return to Los Angeles. And they would pay her $ 500,000 for 4 weeks work and donate a similar sum to a charity of her choice.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Also on March 23 1989, the NY Times did a story on the 1989 - 1990 NBC Television Season which included this bit of news:

Planned movies and mini-series include ''The Rock Hudson Story,'' a version of Ernest Hemingway's ''Old Man and the Sea'' starring Anthony Quinn; Tennessee Williams's ''Sweet Bird of Youth'' starring Elizabeth Taylor in the role of the aging film star Alexandra Delago, and ''Running Mates,'' starring Doris Day as a local citizen running for mayor against a movie star.

This was another project that would have been filmed entirely in Carmel. Eventually it was retitled and filmed with Barbara Eden and John Forsythe.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Finally, in October of 1990, the Los Angeles Times and papers all over the country made this announcement:

SHORT TAKES : New Doris Day Will Dawn on TV

October 2, 1990 | From Times Wire Services

Actress Doris Day is returning to acting after a 17-year hiatus from television. Day signed a multipicture deal with ABC Productions to star in TV movies that will air on ABC-TV, the studio disclosed this week. The contract calls for her to star in three TV films a year as a recurring character. The character was still in the planning stages. Production is expected to begin at the end of the year, with three movies to be televised during the 1991-92 season.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

In keeping with that line of chat:

This from Liz Smith in 1992:

Since that time, Doris Day has shunned the spotlight. She flirted with returning to network TV in 1984; she was considered to replace Barbara Bel Geddes on Dallas and was the first choice to play the lead in Murder, She Wrote.

Of course Aaron Spelling offered her the sun and the moon to join "Dynasty" in the early 80's for a 12 week story arc and even had designer Nolan Miller concoct some possible clothing designs for her character to wear. Jane Wyman also made a personal request to her to guest on several episodes of "Falcon Crest" but she declined and the part was vastly rewritten and played by Lana Turner who clashed with Miss Wyman.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Oh, hi, Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice to *see* you again, so to speak. You know everything about Doris - every tiny, itty-bitty thing!!! Thank you, my friend, for coming aboard because I know you are busy.

OH MY GOSH - Ruth Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Yes, she helped take care of the animals for Doris during the Mary Anne days so that would have been around 1973-74ish. She was a hoot. But I think she was a really nice lady, however. Thanks for letting us know that fact. Now I know why Doris has that look on her face!

Lauren

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

I'm adding this map because I like to mess with maps, that's why. :lol:
dd_beverlyhillshotel2.jpg
Doris and Barry had to walk with the bike from the Beverly Hills Hotel (upper left on map) down to their home, which is a bit of a way. And they had to cross Sunset Blvd, which is a very busy street. Doris rode her bike a great deal back in the day. This tiny map gives you an idea to the length of the blocks in Beverly Hills.

Lauren

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Here is the planned storyline outline that Aaron Spelling devised when attempting to lure Miss Day to "Dynasty" in 1983. He got the idea after watching Doris and Rock in their joint interview on "Good Morning America" in May of 1983.

The storyline was to have Doris come on as Krystal's older sister who comes to Denver because she is upset about the way Alexis is treating her sister and does battle with Alexis. In the meantime, Blake is captivated by Krystal's sister and contemplates leaving Krystal for the Doris character who was to be called either Dina or Jacqueline. Eventually Doris meets a more eligible man, a businessman from Texas who comes to Denver on business with Blake and who was to be played by Rock. They (Doris and Rock) fall in love and leave together for Texas. It was to be a 12 week arc. When it didn't happen, Rock still did the show in early 1985, - one of his last acting assignments and this time falling for Krystal.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

ood morning//I must say to you that I love you, because you make my DAY///

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous stories, I could read them for hours- Paul you should do a DD trivia and facts book - fabulous to read about the might have beens...

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Some more photos from "The Doris Day Show"......
dd_bed_large_b.jpg

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Thank you for these pictures Lauren. You know what i love about Doris is her animated personality. She has so much expression. These pictures really show how much personality she has.

Thank you Lauren for posting these.

Tybear

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Ania - Thank you a million times over for the photos that I have not seen as yet. They are very interesting and fun to look at. Great work!!!!

Ray -
Not sure which photo you are referring to when you say that Barry and Doris were at Nate and Al's. Nate and Al's was 10 blocks (at least!!!!!) away from their home with only one bike. My guess is that Barry and Doris were at home from having walked and ridden the bike a few blocks around their house. Looks like he is parking the bike at their house. Nate and Al's did not have bushes around it at all.

About making movies - yes, I think she would have had she had the chance. On the Sinatra show, she said that moving to Carmel was one of the worst mistakes she ever made. That's probably because she had to give up working on a film called "Sleeping Dogs" where she would have played a role where she couldn't talk and would have had to learn sign language. She told a friend that there might be an Oscar in it for her. But producers did not want to make the film in Carmel and would only do it in Carmel.

Another issue with having moved to Carmel was that she did not have friends near when she needed them and they needed her not to mention Terry when he died at the family home in Beverly.

Just a few thoughts.
Lauren

I think that pic of Doris in the Bermudas is from the TV series era- 1968-1970- would be great to know for sure.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

The Bermuda shorts shot ran in movie magazine in December, 1968. It was shot, secretly by a photographer who climbed through the hedge from the next door home....

The Bermuda shorts shot in Miss Day's backyard was taken over the hedge in 1968 and ran in one of the fan magazines at the time. While the woman with her back to the camera is not identified, I believe it may be Miss Day's friend, Ruth Williams...hard to tell from that angle.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

The name of the magazine that ran the shot of Miss Day in her backyard in the shorts was Screen and TV Album.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

That same photographer took pictures of Doris swimming and walking around her pool in the early seventies. Its was in a celebrity book and was said Doris put a wall up after that. Ron Galleo I think was the man in a tree taking the pictures. A really unfaltering one appeared in the tabloids around 1980. That guy also chased Jackie Kennedy all the time.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

You're right Ray. Ron made $ 10,000 (a huge amount at the time) for the shot in the backyard in the shorts in 1968. At the time there had been no candid shots of Miss Day taken in the months after Marty's passing and so word went out that they'd pay a large sum to get such a coup. Ron knew the "hedges" and way to get a shot so he returned in 1971 for the famous bikini shots that sold for huge sums to various magazines.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Someone posted they don't recall a wall around Doris's pool area but in 1981 on my first visit to California I went to the Polo Lounge with my Father and drove by Doris's house and there was indeed a wall.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Maybe that's why Doris did the bikini pose for her 1973 TV fashion show, She probably thought lets get this right with class.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Excuse me, Paul and Ray, but didn't a wall go up in the back after the Charles Manson killings? I know for sure that the iron fence in the front was because of Mason. Just wondering.

Tybear - glad to know that you like the expressive photos of Doris. I love them also. That's why I take shots of them from TV shows and movies.

Lauren