NEW BOOK

Books and articles about Doris Day.
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

NEW BOOK

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Has anyone read it yet? I polished it off yesterday on the beach and I thought it was pretty good, although towards the end there were some holes, I thought.

I wondered about the accuracy of some of the assistants interviewed. Thought the fans were very informative.

The one thing I refuse to beleive is....

Webmaster edit: (for reasons of decorum):
Getting into personal details here and I would prefer if we could avoid that. General comments are fine.

Megan - talking about DK's book.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: NEW BOOK

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I'm sorry.. but, what book are you talking about?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

towards the end there were some holes
What are you thinking of?

Jake/others, happy to talk about the book but a few ground rules: lets keep away from personal/family matters.
There's a lot about her career in the book that is interesting - I was surprised that David Kaufman rated "Julie" so highly, portraying it as a classic film noir. I thought it was Doris with no singing at the time - interesting, but more of a B movie than anything else. His comments made me want to watch it again through his eyes.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I'd like to watch Julie again. Only saw it once and although I liked it, I was put off somewhat by some of the trite voiceovers, mostly really over the top. Doris looked great and did a great job [as always]and nice it was filmed in a film noir[ish] way on location too!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

To each his own, but I find Julie far from a top notch film noir, and I rank it as Doris' worst performance. Sadly, I think if it were to come out today, she'd win a Raspberry Award for it (especially the first scene... watch that steering wheel!) I do love the theme song, and the location filming. But it takes more than b&w location filming to make a noir. And the director didn't really help Doris shape her performance at all. (I think he made only one good movie anyway, The Last Voyage, kind of an early Poseidon Adventure.) I think it is amazing to look at how much Doris learned about acting over her career. And she certainly turned in a far more nuanced performance in Midnight Lace.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Interesting, guys.

I guess I feel a bit like you, John, about Julie. Seemed a waste of her talents in a dreary melodrama around a time when she was doing Teacher's Pet & The Pajama Game. But I was so surprised to read David Kaufman's take on it that I thought perhaps I had dismissed it too quicky and, as I said, it made me want to revisit it, which I haven't managed to do yet.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I'll be curious to hear your take on it after revisiting it, Bryan. I saw it again about 2 years ago, so it's kinda fresh. I used to like it more as a kid than I do now.

Another weird item about the film, but not a big deal: Doris wears her own robe in the San Francisco apartment scene, with her (rather large) DMD monogram on it. I always smile when I see it, but I wonder how many other filmakers would have stopped that before it got on film.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

If I remember correctly, the voiceovers eliminated suspense in the film - they described the upcoming scene and then afterward it played out exactly that way, almost as though someone wanted to ruin the film in the cutting room -Marty?

I have also wondered about the personal assistants and Doris. Their objectivity certainly can be called into question occasionally. partly because of Doris. It is not often clear in Kaufman's book how much is based on one person's recollection.

Just as an aside - I thought the den was a place where people could more freely discuss issues in the book. If assistant's opinions are called into question, perhaps they themselves could clarify what they have said. If anything involving someone is outlawed, how can their be a discussion? Few people have posted here because you are only free to say very little, even though the majority of people clearly indicated a desire to openly discuss their ideas. :|

suggest a rule : anything discussed in the den cannot be slammed by PM's and emails, and shall remain uncensored, unless profane or obscene.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

Few people have posted here because you are only free to say very little, even though the majority of people clearly indicated a desire to openly discuss their ideas.
I'm not sure the first part is true - I've only recently reopened it and there's no rush. As for the second part - 'freedom of speech' brings certain responsibilities - I tried to outline (above) the 'ground rules'. Most people seem to be able to discuss the book without raising matters that could brand the discussion 'gossip', 'sensationalisation', 'speculation', etc. (see 'The Globe') Surely that is not beyond your wit, Gerard?

It seems to me that many of the people (and it is often the same ones) who have their posts deleted don't seem to understand the distinction between having a good discussion about her career and bringing up things that makes everyone else cringe.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

The den is the place to put your feet up on the coffee table. Who cares about darts in the ceiling, or an occasional scratched record. :) So what if people speculate? inspect rumors? engage in and dispel rumors? In the end, we can always clean up, and sometimes not. the den keeps the living room sacrosanct, right?

People claim there are inaccuracies, etc. How can they be discussed if there are a few people that try to stymie all discussion? Doris is not a saint, and she tried to tell us herself.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

That may be true for some subjects - not yet started - but when it comes to Doris I expect people to be respectful and keep their feet on the ground.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

John,I never noticed doris robe having DMD on it. Ofcourse its been a very long time since I watched JULIE, I guess I also need to watch it again.You have such a keen eye for that sort of thing. I think that its kind of cool that she did that. Do you think it was intentional or simply a mistake ? Remember hitchcock being in the back ground of some of his movies ? Maybe the robe thing was done on purpose, you know so people would notice it ... 8) Please note I have not seen the movie for ten years or better, I will look closer this time around.
suzie

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

Here is a photo :

Doris is smiling in this scene as if she knows she is showing off her robe.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

"Film noir" -- hard to define, but some people think it requires more than one evil character among the major players (I think). By that definition, "Julie" wouldn't qualify.

One thing I've read about the movie, somewhere, is that the director used aerial shots to GREAT advantage, meaning shots taken from planes and helicopters -- and very carefully, expensive as they would have been. They are THERE, but mainly we don't think about how they were done.

'50s melodrama. It was entertainment. There are counterparts today.

webmaster

I now see that DK is reported as saying in reply to the question "What's your favorite Doris Day movie?"
"Definitely "Love Me or Leave Me," and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is up there with "The Pajama Game" and "Calamity Jane."
The film I feel is terribly overlooked is one she made with Danny Thomas, "I'll See You In My Dreams."
What do you make of that?

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Thank you Gerard for the photo of doris' robe in Julie,its cool. :wink:
suzie

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

webmaster wrote:I now see that DK is reported as saying in reply to the question "What's your favorite Doris Day movie?"
"Definitely "Love Me or Leave Me," and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is up there with "The Pajama Game" and "Calamity Jane."
The film I feel is terribly overlooked is one she made with Danny Thomas, "I'll See You In My Dreams."
What do you make of that?
I agree with him wholeheartedly. Yes, it has some cliché elements common in film bios of the time, but it also had really interesting lead characters who weren't always perfect. She could be controlling and overbearing and he could be weak. And the film showed that while they needed each other, that dynamic also nearly ruined their marriage. I thought that was a very interesting take on it, especially for the time, when so many famous people were depicted as practically saints. It's kind of a precursor to LMOLM in that sense. And of course, Doris and Danny gave superb performances in their roles, I thought. And the music is terrific. I think 2 scenes rank among Doris' best: the theater scene where sings "The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else" and the scene at the piano when she sings the title tune. Both are exquisite vocals.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Couldnt agee more , doris and danny really clicked, what voices ....wow
suzie

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

It's one of my very favorite DD films. Captures the era wonderfully well, and DD's performance (and DT's) is wonderful!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

(Makin' Whoopee, from the film - found on YouTube)

This looks like it was recorded live - we know Doris prefered it that way when possible.
Wasn't it Martin Scorsese who said he thought this was a great film?

webmaster

One more for luck:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Great scenes, Bryan. Thanks!

Trivia question for your music lovers out there: can you name the drummer in the "Pretty Baby" number, and his relationship to Doris?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan, the film Martin Scorcese seemed to have enjoyed was "My Dream Is Yours." I believe he said that it was his inspiration for the film "New York, New York," with Liza Minnelli and Robert DeNiro.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Yes, you are right, Howard, it comes back to me now - thanks.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Remember hitchcock being in the back ground of some of his movies ?
I heard, Hitchcock appeared in all of his movies? I thought it was kind of his "signature"?

I haven't seen Julie so far, but I have it here so I will have to try to get to it one of these days. You guys made me curious, but it's a genre I have to be in the mood for.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea