Lullaby of Broadway

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lullaby of Broadway"?

Poor
No votes
Average
5%
Good
45%
Excellent
50%

Total votes: 56

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re:

Unread post by Doris Martin » 20 Jun 2012, 16:47

dayniac wrote:I really like this movie. Doris had great songs and did a fantastic job singing them. And of course we get to see her dance. What more can you ask for ?

You are very right...

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: Lullaby of Broadway

Unread post by Doris Martin » 20 Jun 2012, 16:51

puck wrote:I do love your blog, especially love the one with Miss Day, "Lullaby of Broadway" is a great movie, Miss Day and Gene Nelson were a great dancing couple, and she can dance fantastic and her songs, still enjoy it, never tired to see it again, and again.
I do never get tired..never...I just think she is UNIQUE

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie » 12 May 2014, 12:08

I absoloooooootely believe that Lullaby of Broadway is wonderful!!! The songs are GREAT and the BEST thing about it for me is the dancing by Doris. Every time I watch this movie, I can't help but think about how bleak things looked for her in terms of walking, let alone dancing, after that car/train accident long ago. In this movie, it's not just dancing but it's up and down those stairs and in heels yet. Fantastic. I sit there watching her and I just keep saying "WOW" over and over, along with shedding a few tears of joy for DD.
With regard to the plot, I like to be entertained by a movie and I like to feel happy after watching it. It's
fun to later imagine myself as playing the lead and I like to sing the songs. The plot is secondary to me, especially in a musical of that time period.

Renie

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 12 May 2014, 12:27

Renie wrote:I absoloooooootely believe that Lullaby of Broadway is wonderful!!! The songs are GREAT and the BEST thing about it for me is the dancing by Doris. Every time I watch this movie, I can't help but think about how bleak things looked for her in terms of walking, let alone dancing, after that car/train accident long ago. In this movie, it's not just dancing but it's up and down those stairs and in heels yet. Fantastic. I sit there watching her and I just keep saying "WOW" over and over, along with shedding a few tears of joy for DD.
With regard to the plot, I like to be entertained by a movie and I like to feel happy after watching it. It's
fun to later imagine myself as playing the lead and I like to sing the songs. The plot is secondary to me, especially in a musical of that time period.

Renie
DEAR RENIE,,YOU are absolutely wright.....my thoughts absolutely MM

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie » 17 Jun 2014, 10:55

I had ordered a DVD of Lullaby of Broadway and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I laughed and laughed when I read what was on the package. It described the set with the steps on which DD was to dance up and down in a flowing gold dress. As she stood at the foot of the steps,she is quoted as having said, "You've got to be out of your minds. I can't even WALK up and down those stairs." This just tickled my funny bone because all of her dancing in this movie was excellent.

Renie

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie » 17 Jun 2014, 10:56

I had ordered a DVD of Lullaby of Broadway and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I laughed and laughed when I read what was on the package. It described the set with the steps on which DD was to dance up and down in a flowing gold dress. As she stood at the foot of the steps,she is quoted as having said, "You've got to be out of your minds. I can't even WALK up and down those stairs." This just tickled my funny bone because all of her dancing in this movie was excellent.

Renie

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 25 Aug 2014, 16:05

Yesterday i saw Lullaby of Broadway on TCM and was captivated by the singing, dancing, humour and outstanding talent that shone like brilliant diamonds all throughout the film. Doris was the centerpiece of the story surrounded by charming, hilarous, and talented Billy de Wolf, S.Z. Sakall, Gladys Geprge, Gene Nelson, Florence Bates and Anna Triola. They made the story so enjoyable.

With the exception of a Woody Allen film, we do not see in today's films such a wide range of creative talents that there are in Lullaby of Broadway. Most comedies seem to be star driven by the leads. There are many lessons for today's film producers and directors from the classic films of the past. Let's hope we can see the S.Z. Sakalls, florence Bates and Billy de Wolfs of today in our films. They will help the films shine.

Doris and Gene Nelson are wonderful dancers.

Lullaby of Broadway is a great feel-good film.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 25 Aug 2014, 20:06

I watched it, too, Johnny. To me, Gene Nelson was a really underrated dancer. I'm glad he and Doris had a chance to shine in this picture -- especially in the finale. Her dancing always reminds me of a quote from a critic about herself that Ginger Rogers cited in her autobiography. I'm paraphrasing, but the gist is "Rogers does everything Astaire does, but she does it backwards and in high heels."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 26 Aug 2014, 07:12

I often wonder if Doris and Gene Nelson had a good catch up at the 1989 Golden Globes [he presented an award that night, think the one Terry was up for but did not win]. Hope they did.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 14 Sep 2015, 15:05

The initial cast for Lullaby of Broadway that was announced was with June Haver and Dan Dailey. Gene Nelson was announced a week later for the male lead replacing Dailey. The original title of the film was Just Off Broadway.

Doris was reluctant to do Lullaby of Broadway and Martin Melcher tried very hard to prevent it from happening. The dance routines were extremely strenuous.

In 1935 the Lullaby of Broadway song in Gold Diggers of 1935 won an Oscar. It's competition was Cheek To Cheek and Lovely To Look At.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 23 Jan 2016, 15:20

This is the description on the front and back jacket cover of the Lullaby Of Broadway dvd.
Front:
Warner Bros:
Bright Lights Musical That's Gay As The Gay White Way!
A Resplendent Day Hits Broadway!

Back:

The steps of the studio set towered before her like a pyramid. All Doris had to do was dance up and down those steps wearing a flowing gold lame dress. "You've got to be out of your minds". exclaimed in a voice heard across the sound stage, I can't even walk up and down those steps"

She danced divinely - and sang in this musical delight about a singer newly arrived in New York - and destined for Great White Way fame in the capable company of co-stars Gene Nelson, S.Z. Sakall, Billy De Wolfe, Gladys George, and Florence Bates. Savor the Oscar "winning" (1935) title song tune Cole Porter's "Just One Of Those Things", Somebody Loves Me and six more swell songs. C'mon along and listen to (and watch) this Lullaby Of Broadway".

Included on the dvd:

Special Features
Doris Day Trailer
Photo Gallery

subtitles -English, Francois, and Espanol

Just watching Doris dance on those stairs is a miracle and a testament to her great talent.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Mar 2017, 12:09

Rehearsals for Lullaby of Broadway began on August 21-1950.
In David Kaufman's book it states that Martin Melcher was involved in serious conflicts with Warner Brothers studio. He had serious reservations about the strenuous dance numbers Doris was expected to do in Lullaby of Broadway. He also was involved in disputes about having to have approval from the studio for Doris to give interviews on radio. Melcher objected to the amount of control the studio exerted over its' stars. Melcher is reported as having told Cohn that he would like to", have Doris out of her contract with Warner Bros. because he could sell her for $100,000 elsewhere."
Miriam Nelson reported that Director David Butler was very experienced at doing musicals and said he was very easygoing.
Whatever reservations Doris may have had at first about doing Lullaby of Broadway she gave it her all once work started. "She was very professional, and she felt her position as time went on". Butler would recall, " I knew her from the time she was very scared to death until the time she got to know everything... She always knew her lines. She always looked well. She always took care of herself. And I can't say enough nice things about Doris Day."

There are countless stories from co-stars, directors, and film crews about how Doris was so easy to work with on set. The people that come to mind that spoke glowingly are Polly Bergen, Rock Hudson, James Garner, Eve Arden, Rod Taylor and James Cagney.
Poster - Lullaby of Broadway (1951) _ Amazing People - Doris Day _ Pi ___.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 Mar 2017, 21:51

And all the regular supporting players on DD's television show have also commented about how easy it was to work with her.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Mar 2018, 14:44

In Tom Santopietro's book Considering Doris Day, it describes Doris Day and Gene Nelson's work on Lullaby of Broadway:
"With a story this stale even in 1951, it's once again left to the musical numbers to carry the day, and they do, barely...thanks to Doris Day, and to Gene Nelson's self-choreographed numbers. When Doris makes her entrance in this film, decked out in top hat and tails, singing, "Just One Of Those Things",the viewer may think, "Ah yes---just like the girl next door," but she's a girl next door who performs like a real Broadway star. Doris still grins a bit too much, endlessly flashing a great many white teeth, especially in the up-tempo numbers, but put her within reach of a ballad--here it's "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me", she hits nothing but home runs. That silky,seductive voice, so intimate and full of feeling, can make even a mediocre song work, and given a great song such as this one, Doris triumphs.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Mar 2019, 21:55

In The Doris Day Scrapbook, Alan Gelb writes the following about Doris Day's film Lullaby of Broadway.
"In Lullaby of Broadway, Doris plays a chorus girl in search of her derelict mother-- an old packhorse of a plot from which the movie never quite recovers.

Gordon MacRae must of skipped everyone's mind
because he is not around, but Gene Nelson is on hand to prove the only difference between him and the bland Gordon is that he dances and Gordon sings.. Nelson was never going to be a star, a fact :cry: that was apparent to everyone, but Warners still did not feel it necessary to balance Doris' potential incandescence with someone who could bring out the best in her and hold his own to boot. And so, to round things out, they assigned the usual supporting players in their usual supporting roles: Cuddles Sakall again and Billy De Wolf (who had become by now, one of Doris' great friends and who teamed her Clara Bixby, which many of her friends call her to this day because it expresses her simple. homespun charms). In the role of Doris' mother old boozer of a was the gifted Gladys George, who had provided memorable moments in similar roles in Valiant Is The Word for Carrie and Madame X. Miss George, whose real life persona was not so very remote from her film roles and who was to die in the sixties unnoticed and destitute, plays the role for all its worth and even sings a charming version of "In Old Shanty Town".

Lullaby of Broadway was a success for Doris and get warbling of the title song became a big hit for her while her rendition in the film of such standards as, "Somebody Loves Me", and "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", were unmitigated delights."

I think Gelb's unfair characterization of Gene Nelson's star power was unnecessary. Also the unkind remarks about Gladys George personal life were not relevant. Describing Gordon as bland was unkind and unfair.

There are no observations made about Doris and Gene's spectacular and challenging dance routines in Lullaby of Broadway.

The audience loved his film and in the end this is who the film was made for, not a critic.

P
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 11 Mar 2019, 08:13

I agree with Johnny. It feels as if Santopietro and Gelb were being a bit hard on Doris and the film. You have to remember this was one of her earlier musicals and she may not have had enough experience to know when she was pushing the sunny persona too hard. There is an art to great screen acting, a technique that is vastly different from what is required of a stage performer. Less is always more, especially in close-ups. At the time, Doris may not have fully honed her technique and you can certainly see a marked improvement by the time she did Calamity Jane and Pajama Game. That being said, I think Doris puts the song and dance number over quite well.

Also agree that Gelb was being a sourpuss in his derogatory comments about Gene Nelson and Gordon MacCrae. MacCrae was a lively musical comedy performer and he had wonderful chemistry with Doris. His Curly in Oklahoma! remains one of the most dashing performances ever by a leading man in a big screen musical. Nelson was a pro through and through. He may not have been as classically handsome as MacRae but he lit up the screen whenever he danced and he became a fine director too. Nelson deserves better treatment than this IMO.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."